Drip.

Keep You Free From Sin.

It felt like hours later when the man came bursting through the big metal door. On instinct I curled into as small a ball as possible and Z, probably sensing my terror, wrapped his arms around me protectively. I won’t deny how nice that felt.

Loud foot falls came in our direction and without thinking a whimper escaped my lips. Z murmured something in my ear and the footsteps stopped. Soon enough they started again though. What was Z saying? I couldn’t be bothered to pay enough attention.

“You know the rules. One. Food when it’s over. Blah. Blah. Blah.” He was being lazy, was he finally getting tired of watching us squirm? I could hear the door slam shut.

“Wow.” Britnay muttered, apparently I wasn’t the only one slightly stunned.

“What’d he mean?” Sidney asked cautiously. It seemed pretty obvious to me, but maybe she already knew and was kidding herself into believing it was something else. Britnay explained.

“He’s gone Lee. Loosen up.” Z murmured and I could feel his hot breath against my ear. Despite his words, his arms stayed tightly wrapped around me. I didn’t shake him off, however, because as much as I hate to admit it, I enjoyed the feeling. His arm fit rather nicely there. When I uncurled myself his arms left me. I didn’t like that so I reached out to bring them back.

He rested his chin on my head and I could almost feel his smile radiating off of him. I shut my eyes and leaned into him instead of onto the wall. I must say that it was much more comfortable. His rhythmic breathing lulled me into the sleep I’d been dreading. Fear overtook my dreams and they quickly transformed into nightmares.

~~~

“ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!” A high pitched voice screamed, I flinched into the soft material of Z’s shirt. “What?! You won’t kill HER?!” Oh, it made sense now. It was only Britnay.

“Bee… just listen.” Z tried to reason calmly. This had to be the first time he actually shot down an opportunity to argue with Britnay.

“No! I won’t listen! It’s unfair!” She paused to take a deep breath, maybe she’d calm down now. “You killed Jack because he was sleeping! Now, you have to kill her too! It’s only fair!” I was wrong. For Britnay, calming down must not be an option. “Just do it Z! Or we will!” This was the angriest I’d ever seen Britnay.

Scratch that, this was the angriest I’d ever (not) seen anybody.

“And who’s ‘we’?” Z asked, finally getting defensive.

“Sidney, Sierra, and I.” Britnay said smugly. She must be so proud of herself, finally being able to wrangle up a mini-posse, and all. I rolled my eyes but I could feel Z’s arms tightening around me. Constricting me. Asphyxiating me.

“Let go. “ I gasped and then when he did let go added quietly, “Almost killed me yourself there, Zayden.”

“Not funny.” He whispered furiously back. I tried to smile but failed.

Why did he care anyway.

“Sorry.” I muttered bitterly.

“It’s her turn to die!” Britnay yelled.

“Can’t one of the newbies die, Brit?” Ari asked.

“Can’t they have a chance?” Britnay spat back quickly. I assumed a lot of people weren’t given a chance. “Whose side are you on anyway?” She asked incredulously.

“No side, I just…” Ari fell back into her silence. If there were any signs as to when something was going wrong it was when Ari was silent.

“Stop fighting. Leah isn’t dying.” Z stated. “And that’s final.”

“Who died and made you King?” She sneered.

“Who died and made you Queen?” He shot back evenly. I snorted quietly, trying to keep myself from full-out laughter.

“Honestly, I think of her as more of a ‘Court Jester’.” I mumbled.

“Touche.” Z murmured back so only I could hear. Ari giggled from not too far away and I found myself hoping that the jester herself didn’t hear me.

“You little bitch.” Britnay said it slow, low, and calm. It was the calm before the storm and it scared me more than the impending storm did itself. “I am going to kill you.” She burst and all I could hear was movement as I cowered into Z, feeling like a little wimp.

“Back off!” Z yelled taking one arm from around me and outstretching it to stop Britnay from lunging at me and clawing my eyes out.

“Let. Me. At. Her.” Britnay growled through her teeth, enraged. I shuddered and as a response Z’s arm tightened.

In my mind I imagined her face like that of a cartoon villain. Only it was more gory and disgusting than what should ever be allowed on any children’s network. Her eyes glowed a bright red. Animalistic, vampiric. Sharp jagged teeth protruding from a mouth which was pursed in a horrible, deadly smile. Then I placed myself into my mental cartoon. Saliva dripped from her mouth as she took a step towards my cowering body. In my head she was ten times my size with claws for hands and feet bigger than any I’ve ever seen before. She was wearing a cheerleading outfit probably more than one size too small, showing too much pale skin. I imagined this monster eating me alive. Intestines hanging from her lips, sucking it up like some sort of demented spaghetti. Picking her teeth with a rib as a toothpick. It reminded me of my grandfather after a big meal, like Christmas or Thanksgiving. Then she’d burp and little specks of blood would dot the already blood soaked floor.

I was going to hurl.

I believe that’s a few too many horror flicks for Leah.

Z jerked backwards and I was pulled out of my horrific cartoon. Britnay had lunged for me again, the cartoon suddenly came back to mind. Blood shot eyes. I almost screamed, instead I turned green.

“Britnay! Stop it!” Z yelled frantic. I had a notion that I had the same feeling as him. I’d have to tell him about my cartoon at some less pressing time. That is, if I make it out of this alive.

Then Z was being pulled away from me and I did scream. I didn’t know if I could hold them all off without him.

“That’s right bitch.” Britnay muttered. “Be fucking scared.” She growled. Mentally I changed her cartoon form into a pitbull. I covered my mouth with my arm, biting into it slightly to keep myself from screaming out of fear.

“BRITNAY!” Two voices screamed at the same time. Tears streamed down my cheeks, I hated being so blind and helpless. “Britnay! Stop!” One voice broke off to scream solo. In stores near you.

I went deaf. It was all white noise.

Then there was a static crack. Thick, warm moisture rolling down my neck. Now pain, just a consuming numbness. Warm fingers on my face. Sounds of pain came through the static. Yelling. More fingers on the back of my head. I felt like screaming, but couldn’t open my mouth to get the sound out. Please, don’t touch me there. Is this what dying feels like?

All of the sudden there is a light. Not light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel light, but an idea light. The little lightbulb hovering above the animated head. The bars.

Offer the bars.

Numbly I reached into my pocket and shoved three into Britnay’s face.

Then it was dark. Black. No noise. None.

Nothing.

Drip.
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count = 1,285

So sorry, I didn’t realize I posted the same thing yesterday. Forgive me?

Check it out! Please?