Drip.

Heavy Thoughts Tonight.

Time passes and I’ve started to use the inane dripping as some sort of messed up clock.

Drip.

1,292.

Drip.

1,293.

I need a life. I need to get out of here.

Drip.

“Game?” Ari asked.

“No.” Z and Britnay muttered at the same time.

“Fine. Party poopers. What about you Leah?”

“Why not?” I sighed. I might as well try to be amused.

“Oh God, no!” Z yelled dramatically. I gave him a strange look he’d never see. Maybe he’d feel the weirded-out vibes I was sending his way.

“Oh, shut up Zay-den.” Ari paused before sliding over to me. That’s another thing about Ari… she never stops moving. Ever. “Okay so… I say a word and then you say the first thing that comes to mind. Then I say what I think of when you say what you think of and so on.” She took a breath. “Okay, cow!”

“Food.” I mumbled in a monotone.

“Fries!”

“Food.”

“Uhm, dog!”

“Cat… wait… what?!”

“I said ‘dog!’.”

“I heard that, but… what?!”

“What are you? Deaf?” Z cut in.

“No! I just don’t… you know what? Nevermind.”

“Light.”

“Fish.”

“Food.”

“Shut up.” Britnay cut in this time.

“Fine!” Ari yelled back.

It was silent for a while and all I heard was dripping again.

Drip.

Aw crap. I lost count.

Drip.

Two.

Drip.

Three.

Drip.

“So… what brought you here Leah?” Ari asked, quiet for once.

“Stupidity.” I murmured and Z snorted from across the room.

“Tis usually the case.” He said wistfully.

“What was it?” Ari persisted.

“Short version or long version?” I asked closing my eyes and leaning my head back against the wall. The phrase was familiar and I could almost imagine that I was back home telling stories with my friends instead of in a dark, damp room with a couple of strangers.

While both Britnay and Z said “Short.” Ari yelled “Long!”

“Short it is.” I could bet you Ari was pouting beside me, but I ignored the feeling. “Got dumped, tried to hitchhike home. Lost.” I muttered before throwing my head back against the wall again.

“Wow. That was short.” Z laughed.

“Pathetic!” Britnay yelled.

“Like you’re so much better?!” I yelled. “How’d you get here?!”

“It’s a lot less pathetic than yours!” Britnay said and I could hear her moving towards me. The material of her jeans rubbing against the cement making an angry noise.

“No it’s not.” Ari scoffed, but moved out of the way anyway.

“I came home and he was waiting.” Britnay said through clenched teeth. She paused in between her words, her breathing ragged with a anger I couldn’t quite understand. “I was tricked.”

“And I wasn’t?” I rolled my eyes. Was this some kind of joke? “Yeah, okay.”

“You make me sick.” Britnay murmured in a way that made me want to punch her in the face.

“Hey… wait.” Z said loudly obviously noticing the tension and knowing that a fight wouldn’t help anybody. “What did you lose?”

“I tried to fight him off.” I whispered, slightly ashamed. How could I forget about a seatbelt? “I would have gotten away from him too…”

“…if it weren’t for you meddling kids. And that mangy mutt too!” Z said half under his breath yet loud enough for us to hear. I giggled quietly.

Ari ignored him. “Then why didn’t you?” She sounded very confused.

“I, uh, I forgot to unbuckle my, uh, my seatbelt.” I let my head fall in shame.

“Well, uh, that was, uh, pretty fucking retarded, uh.” Britnay said clearly mocking me. I clenched my hand, trying to restrain from just reaching out and punching her. Ari beat me to it though.

“Who was that?!” Britnay screamed. I could envision her shocked expression, though I’d really never be able to see it. The way her hand was placed against her cheek, which was probably red, and her jaw slack. I smiled.

“Why do you have to be such a bitch, B?” Z muttered suddenly extremely close by. My smile slowly fell. Maybe it hadn’t been Ari.

“You aren’t supposed to slap girls, Z.” Ari whispered completely serious although admittedly I had to stop from laughing at it. She threw her small arms around me.

“She deserved that.” Z muttered darkly. Darker than I could have imagined him ever being. I felt him sit next to me.

“Why are you standing up for her?” Britnay asked quietly before sniffling.

“Because she deserves it.” Z whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count = 747

It seems short. The title is from a different song by the same band as the first one. Can you guess either of them? Still offereing cookie. lol

The Scooby Doo reference wasn't originally in there. I realized as I typed it out that that's exactly how Z would react. I added it.

Is it bad that I'm in love with one of my own fictional characters?