Drip.

What I've Known Never Shined Through

We found granola bars while we waited for the water to boil and snacked on those. Secretly I shoved four in my sweatshirt pocket. One for each of us. For when we were starving again.

After the water had finished boiling we poured three boxes of noodles into it and scrambled across the kitchen trying to find a strainer. After that was found and in the sink we found four bowls. And the silverware drawer. The rest of the time went by quick and without argument.

We were eating around the man’s small table while he watched us from where he was leaning against the counter. I took another bite before deciding I was stuffed. I dropped my fork into my bowl.

Z gave me an odd look. “Is something wrong?” I shook my head. “Are you gonna eat that?” He then asked pointing to my bowl. I shook my head smiling and handed it over to him. “Thanks.”

“No biggie.” I muttered and I could have sworn I saw a bit of pink in his tanned cheeks. He quickly turned back to his food, though, and I couldn’t be sure.

“This is really good, Ari.” He said with his face still in his own bowl before he dug into what was left of mine.

“Yeah? I’m glad you think so.” She sounded excited by his approval.

There was a groan from across the room and I lifted my eyes up to the man, slightly glaring at him. I wanted to figure him out. I needed him to know that I wasn’t afraid of him.

“Do something!” He seemed to explode, making Ari jump from beside me. “Fight. Cry. Kiss.” He made a face. “Okay, maybe not that. You might actually do that.” He eyed me. I cocked an eyebrow slightly confused by his stare. “I have a feeling this’ll be ending soon. At least make it worth my while.” He never took his eyes off of me. I felt slightly accused. I felt like it was my fault it will be ending.

That would be a good thing.

I shook my head and looked cautiously around the table. No one seemed to notice his odd antics. I hadn’t even been here as long as they had and still I knew that the mysterious man with the Southern accent was worried about something. If you could call the expression he was wearing worried. He looked almost lost.

A few more minutes of silence passed before the man scowled and pushed off from against the counter. “Okay, you’re done.” He pulled Ari up and then me, holding my wrist hard enough to leave a bruise just below the cuff, and then Britnay seemed to catch the hint and stood up herself with Z shortly following.

The man started pushing us to the door, which he quickly unlocked, just a simple lock on this side of the door. I followed Ari through and soon enough we were in the darkness of the damp room again. He unchained us silently before slamming the door moodily behind him as he left and headed back down the hall.

It took a few minutes for my eyes to adjust enough to the darkness to be able to see slight shadows. Or maybe my eyes were playing cruel tricks on me.

“I say we kill some time.” I suggested, scooting backwards until I hit a wall and then slowly sliding down in. Footsteps followed almost silently behind me.

“What are you getting at?” Ari asked excitedly. A game, a game. That’s probably what she was thinking.

“You know how on your first day of school you have those ‘get-to-know-each-other’ games?” I asked.

“Yeah?” Z asked, suddenly he sounded interested.

“Do you know any good ones?” I asked any of them. I didn’t care whose game it was. I just wasn’t creative enough to come up with one myself.

I expected Ari to answer, but got Britnay instead. “We could play rigged ‘truth or dare’.”

“That’s the first positive thing I’ve heard from you yet!” I laughed and then nodded, even though they couldn’t see me. “Sounds good.”

“Who’s first?” Ari asked and I could practically feel her bouncing.

“I’ll go. Single?” Z asked and I rolled my eyes at the question. It wasn’t what I’d meant when I said ‘get to know each other’ but in a way it worked.

“Yes.” Britnay said sounding a serious and solemn as I’ve ever heard her speak.

“Obviously.” I muttered remembering the last real night I’d spent with Jack.

“Nope.” Ari popped her ‘p’ and I gave her a skeptical look. From the silence I could guess that everyone else must have been too.

“Okay. Uh, I’m single too.” He almost sounded proud of the fact.

“Me next!” Ari squealed.

“What makes you think that?” Britnay asked peevishly.

“I was the only one with a different answer.” She said simply. I could practically feel her shrug. “Okay, so… favorite food?”

“Food.” Z muttered. “Just food. Period.”

I giggled. “My kryptonite is literally pasta. There is no bad pasta.”

“Chocolate. It might not count, but it’s my answer.” Britnay murmured dreamily.

“Mine would have to be my dad’s hamburgers from the grill with white American cheese. It’s heaven on a bun.” Ari muttered. It almost sounded like she was drooling. All of us laughed a little at that.

We were ‘bonding’ and that’s what I needed. That may be the answer to all of our problems.

It may be our key.
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count = 920

I'm off to go watch the Olymics now. (Canada rocks. I wish I lived there. *frowns*) And Happy Valentines Day... I probably won't post again before Sunday so I figured I'd shove that in here.

Learned 'te quiero' in Spanish today. It means 'I love you'... or more literally 'I want you'... either way.