Status: finished ; )

Thankful for You

I Tried To Talk To Her


The house was empty. Ivory’s parents had left for New York the night before. She spent Christmas Eve cuddled up on the couch with a book by the fire. Now it was Christmas day and she was lying on the floor to her bedroom in her matching bra and panties. There were clothes strewn around her on the floor but she couldn’t quite find the right outfit. She wasn’t sure whether she should wear something formal, or semi-formal, or just casual. Finally she’d gotten fed up with the frustration and just relaxed on the ground, closing her eyes as her hands rested on her stomach. Bach was playing from her stereo, a bit too loud.

Jack smiled as he reached her porch, the classical music was somewhat familiar to his ears. It wasn’t his type of music, but Ivory liked to play it in the shop so he was slowly getting used to it. He tried the door, figuring she wouldn’t hear if he knocked and found that it was unlocked. The inside of her house didn’t completely shock him. Everything was perfectly in place. It was as if no one even lived here.

He noticed the living room looked a bit off. There was a blanket crumpled up on the couch and the fireplace looked like it’d been used recently. Other than that it was stiff. He didn’t like it much, so he quickly turned toward the sound of the music, taking the stairs two by two. It didn’t occur to him to shout to her. He just simply let the music lead him to her bedroom.

And there she was. Her eyes closed and her fingers lightly drummed on her stomach to the music. He braced himself against the doorway and eyed her in awe. He was always admiring her body, but now he was just stunned. A slow smile crept on his face as he watched her.

Neither one of them moved until the music stopped playing. She sighed and slowly opened her eyes, rolling over in her attempt to stand up. That’s when she caught sight of him. She screamed the pure panic and terror taking over ever nerve in her body. Then she recognized the startled face and though the terror stayed, panic was replaced by embarrassment.

“How long have you been here?” She asked in such a tired voice as she let her head fall into her hands. She didn’t see the use in trying to cover up now.

“A while,” he shrugged, not sure of the real answer. He’d lost track of time the second he’d stepped into her room.

“Can you turn around while I get dressed?” Her tone was weak because she didn’t really expect him to do so. She still wasn’t so sure that it’d make a difference, but she was grateful when he turned around slowly.

“Course,” his smile widened at her red cheeks. He always found it so cute when she got embarrassed like this. She fumbled through her clothes and finally threw on a pair of jeans, slipping on her favorite sweater as well.

“You can turn back around, if you want.” She spoke softly as she walked back into her closet, searching for her shoes. He stayed quiet as he turned around and watched her bustle around the room. “So, did you have fun staring?” This time she made him blush.

“Uh, s-sorry about that,” he scratched the back of his neck. There weren’t many times like these, but she savored them when she got them. Moments where she was the one smirking and he was the one at a loss for words.

“You should be sorry,” she mumbled to herself and walked back out of the closet with shoes in hand. Ivory sat on the end of her bed, hunched over as she slipped her shoes on. “So, this thing isn’t formal, is it?” She asked uneasily as she remembered why she’d been naked on the floor in the first place.

He laughed. “It’s the Barakat family; do we look like we dress up?” He joked and looked down at his own clothes. Jack was dressed in his usual attire of skin tight jeans, band tee, and thick jacket.

“So you promise I won’t feel underdressed when we get there?” She was still a bit suspicious as she eyed him.

“I promise,” he smiled genuinely. “The only person who dresses up is my mom, and that’s cause she’s a little on the off side.”

“Alright,” Ivory sighed and stood up, straightening her shirt as she did. “I’m ready.”

Jack nodded and waited for her to lead the way out. He followed her down the stairs and to the front door, a small silence settling between the two. He was trying to find words to comfort her and ease her nerves, but there wasn’t much coming to his mind. It wasn’t until they were in his car and the heat was on full blast, slowly warming their fingers and cheeks, that she spoke.

“I hate to intrude on your family like this.” She spoke so softly as she stared out the window, she didn’t think he’d hear her. But he did.

Jack stole a glance at her before he sternly told her, “you’re not intruding.” She didn’t quite believe him, but she didn’t say anything else. He kept stealing small glances at her and felt his heart thud each time. She looked so lonely. Her eyes were distant as she stared. Her forlorn expression only made him want to be there for her that much more. He wanted to be the one she ran to, always.

Jack pulled into his driveway. There were several cars parked alongside him and in the street, but as he shifted the gear into park, he didn’t turn the car off. He stared ahead. Ivory turned to look at him in the silence. “As of now, you are a part of the family,” he said the words slowly with precision and a certain firmness. She couldn’t begin to argue.

He took her silence as acceptance and shut the car off. She bit her bottom lip as she watched get out and come around to her side. He opened the door for her and she got out though her body was still a bit numb from shock. Ivory bit her bottom lip again as she stood beside him, the car door still open. She tilted her head back to look in his eyes, his clear, honest eyes.

“Thank you,” it was all she had to say and he knew she didn’t just mean for the door. He nodded and shut the door before the two started up the walkway. As they reached the steps to the porch Jack carefully and lightly wrapped his arm around her shoulders.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like this one : ) Jack's such a sweetheart.
He makes me melt;
xooxEmber