Status: finished ; )

Thankful for You

Out Of My League


Ivory would have said she felt uncomfortable, and under usual circumstances she would. But she didn’t. She felt at home, more so than she ever did at her own house. Ivory sat at the large table in between Jack’s mother and his sister. Jack sat across from her with Joe beside him. There was his grandmother at one end and his father at the other. They were all so happy and smiley, Ivory couldn’t help but smile herself.

“How did everything taste?” Jack’s mom asked the table politely. It took a few minutes for Ivory to realize she was talking specifically to her.

“It was wonderful, Mrs. Barakat.” Ivory smiled just as polite and the table gently laughed.

“You don’t have to humor her, Ivy,” Joe whispered to Ivory while he stared at his sister with an amused expression. “It’s just fine to tell her you think it’s disgusting.”

“Very funny, Joe,” Jack’s mother noted dryly and then turned to Ivory with a sweet smile. “You don’t have to call me Mrs. Barakat anymore either dear, Amy is fine.”

“Well then, it tasted delicious, Amy.” Ivory corrected herself with a small smile. Her eyes darted over to Jack without much thought. He was grinning, of course, at her while he pushed his food around his plate. “Thank you for inviting me and such.” She added and dropped her gaze to her plate.

“There’s no thank you’s needed sweetie. I couldn’t believe my ears when Joe said you’d be spending Christmas all by yourself. It’s such a foolish idea. This is the time for families to be together,” Ivory felt her heart sink at the words. Her family didn’t want her apparently, even if it was Christmas. “And I am glad and proud to have you as a member of the Barakat family this evening. We all are.” Jack’s mother smiled and looked around the table.

“Of course,” his father chimed in with another warm smile. All the smiles and compliments were sending Ivory’s head spinning. She’d never been surrounded by so much love in such a long time. “We’re lucky to have you, Ivy.”

“Very lucky,” Joe nodded and then he glanced down the table. “Looks like someone’s fallen asleep at the table,” he mumbled and both Jack and his sister laughed quietly.

“Are you tired, mom?” Jack’s mother leaned over to the older lady and gently touched her hand. Her eyes opened for a second as she nodded and then they closed again. Jack’s mother sighed. “Help me get her upstairs, Joe.”

“Alright,” Joe stood up and threw his napkin on the table. “Come on mom,” he walked over and pulled his mother’s chair out, helping her up as well.

“Night grandma,” Jack shouted a little louder than needed, making Ivory jump a little in her seat. His sister gave the same farewell before Joe, Amy, and their mother disappeared from the room.

“Sounds like it’s time to start a fire,” Jack’s father stood up and pushed his chair under the table. “Why don’t you come help me, Jack?” Jack was reluctant, but he stood up and followed his father, making sure to give Ivory an encouraging smile before he left.

“So, do you like my brother?” Jack’s sister wasted no time once the two were alone. Ivory was shocked at the bluntness, but tried to cover it up as she helped Audree stack up the dirty plates. “I’m sure it’s obvious that he’s absolutely crazy about you.” She said nonchalantly and Ivory mouth hung open once again.

“Well, we’re still just getting to know each other, but,” Ivory stopped and bit her bottom lip.

“It’s alright. Jack can be a bit overwhelming sometimes. He’s such a goofball it’s hard to take him serious, but,” Audree shrugged as she picked the plates up and headed for the kitchen, Ivory right behind her. “He’s serious when he talks about you. He really likes you, like he thinks you’re the perfect girl for him.” Audree set the plates down on the counter to clean later and then turned to see the pale, sickly girl in front of her. Audree worried she’d said too much. “I just, thought you should know.”

“Thanks,” Ivory nodded and set the few plates in her hands down. She wasn’t quite sure what to think about this.

“No problem,” Audree shrugged again and then smiled. “We’d better get out there before Jack tries to set the house on fire and dad tries to set Jack on fire.” She laughed and pulled the other girl toward the living room.
♠ ♠ ♠
daily updates for my lovely readers : ) love you guys!
xooxEmber