Status: finished ; )

Thankful for You

Make It Seem Like Love



“You didn’t have to stay, Jack.” Ivory smiled as she entered the living room and found the boy stretched out on the couch. The TV was playing commercials and Jack had let his eyes rest close for the time, but at the sound of her sweet voice he woke up fast.

“I wanted to make sure you were okay, before,” he trailed off as his head turned toward her. Ivory leaned against the doorway with her arms crossed. She’d already changed into her pajamas and towel dried her hair. A slight blush crept across her face as his eyes lingered on her bare legs. “Before I left,” he finished as if snapping out of some day dream.

“That’s sweet.” Ivory dipped her head and pushed away from the wall, slowly making her way to the couch. “So, what are you watching?” Her legs curled underneath her as she settled into the couch, gluing her eyes to the television.

“Real Monsters,” Jack stretched his arm out against the back of the couch and stared at her for a few more minutes. Then the two fell into a silence as they watched the TV screen play the cartoon.

By the time the second episode ended, Ivory was asleep with her head gently resting on Jack’s shoulder. He glanced down at her peaceful figure and couldn’t tear his gaze away from her. Jack shifted lightly, trying to position his arm so that his circulation wouldn’t be blocked anymore, and Ivory stirred. He held perfectly still as he watched her straighten her legs out and lean her head on his chest with her hand tucked underneath it. Jack wrapped his arms around the tiny girl and smiled to himself as he went back to watching cartoons.

Now by the third episode’s ending, Jack had fallen asleep as well. It wasn’t until Ivory kicked in her sleep and knocked the remote off the couch. The sudden loud noise jolted her awake and she quickly realized the position she was in. Ivory bit her bottom lip as she stared at Jack’s relaxed face and tried to figure out what to do.

“Jack,” she lightly whispered and shook him just the tiniest. “Jack?” He grunted, still mostly asleep. “Jack, it’s almost two.” She was still whispering, but a squeal escaped her lips as the arms around her waist tightened and pulled her back down. “Jack!” Ivory harshly whispered after she recovered and tried pulling away from him.

“Shhhh,” Jack maneuvered so they were both on their sides, “it’s sleepy time.” Ivory giggled and squirmed in his arms until she had successfully turned around, making them face to face.

“Aren’t your mom and dad expecting you home?” Ivory spoke just above a whisper. “It’s getting pretty early.” Jack sighed and opened one eye to slightly glare at her.

“You’re mean.” He muttered before releasing her and slowly sitting up. Jack wiped his eyes and tried focusing while Ivory turned the television off. “So, did you have fun tonight?” He chuckled as memories of the upchuck incident replayed.

“For the most part,” Ivory shrugged and stood up, waiting to walk Jack to the door. He stared at her for a few seconds, just smiling at her and thinking how beautiful she didn’t realize she was, before finally standing up with her.

“Next time, I’ll keep a spare set of clothes in the car for you.” Jack laughed as she scrunched her nose.

“If there’s a next time,” she grumbled and followed him toward the hallway. He turned around as he stood in front of the door, hands in his pockets. He didn’t really want to go home. He’d already told his parents he was staying the night at Alex’s, just in case this happened. Though he was hoping neither of them would have woken up so soon.

“Alex is going to call you his lucky charm now and drag you to all the shows.” Jack smiled as she shook her head and rolled her eyes.

“That boy is dangerous around alcohol.” She muttered and then caught his eyes. It was quiet again as they stared at each other. Jack wanted to kiss her, and Ivory wanted the strange feeling in her gut to go away.

“Will you go out with me, tomorrow night?” He blurted the question and groaned inwardly. He’d planned this ahead of time so it’d come out smooth, but all of it left him when he looked into her crystal blue orbs.

Ivory was a bit speechless. She did the only thing she could think of. She crossed her arms over her chest and stared down at her feet.

“I, uh, got Alex to cover our shifts at the store and Joey said it was alright. If you want to?” He went on spurting out the information that should have come out smoothly and watched her peak at him through her bangs. His heart was beating way too hard in his chest and he could clearly hear it in his ears as he waited. “Please?”

“Okay,” Ivory breathed out, unsure of what she was thinking. It felt so wrong, but something about it also felt right.

“Okay?” He asked, unbelieving of his ears until she nodded. “Great,” a grin broke out on his face as he pulled her into him one last time. “I’ll pick you up around seven?” He hugged her and the rosey smell of her shampoo played in his nose.

“Mmkay,” she bit her bottom lip and watched as he left with a certain bounce in his step. He waved before he got in his car and again before he zoomed off down the street. Ivory shut the door and leaned against it with her eyes close.
♠ ♠ ♠
because I was asked oh so kindly : ) I decided to update again. hopes you love it!
xooxEmber