Status: finished ; )

Thankful for You

Just A Game

“What is it that you do, Jack?” Marc, Ivory’s father, broke the previously light dinner conversation as he gave Jack a hard stare. Ivory felt herself fill with guilt as she watched him swallow hard and reply.

“I’m a musician. I play in a band.” Jack wasn’t fazed by the disapproving looks that he got from everyone, beside Ivory and Matthew who both looked sympathetic.

“But that’s not really your job.” Alyssa corrected with another big, fake smile. Jack wondered if her cheeks ever hurt at the end of the day.

“Actually, it is, mom. His band’s pretty famous.” Ivory jumped in, trying to save him or at least switch the spot light so they were grilling her. She hated seeing them persecute Jack, like he was a convicted felon.

“What happens when they’re not famous?” Alyssa tilted her head and eyed her daughter dangerously. It was like a battle of words, always had been. “What’s your fall-back sweetie?” She turned her piercing blue eyes back on Jack. They were the same color as Ivory’s, but that was it. Ivory had such kind, sad eyes while this woman’s could cut you.

“Well, I guess I could take over my uncle’s business, but my plans are to stay in the music business.” Jack reached over and gave Ivory a light squeeze on knee under the table. It was a sweet gesture and her whole body relaxed under his touch, yet again.

“How are you going to support a family like that?” Everyone looked toward the head of the table as the old man spoke. He hadn’t talked much since Ivory and Jack had arrived, and Jack was even a little surprised to find he talked at all. Ivory blushed furiously at her grandfather’s words and dropped her eyes down to her lap, feeling the tears accumulating in them.

“Aren’t you always on the road?” Morgan added and took a bite of her salad as all eyes refocused to Jack for an answer.

“Oh, good lord, you can’t be planning on having kids with you being away so often.” Alyssa shook her head sternly. Ivory was mortified at the questions her family was asking, and the way they were acting. She didn’t feel like bringing Jack along was the right idea anymore.

“I have a house already and as far as kids go,” Jack paused and looked over at Ivory with a sincere smile. Ivory saw the mischievous glint in his eyes. “We’ll deal with that when we get there.” She sighed with relief at the simple answer, giving Jack a very thankful look. Alyssa cleared her throat, bringing all attention back to her once again.

“It’s seems you’re just the perfect match for Ivy.” Ivory knew from her mother’s tone that her next sentence was going to be a stab, probably at both her and Jack. “She always was difficult,” her mother shrugged and went back to eating. Everyone around the table seemed to nod in agreement and Jack felt the anger swell in him.

“Ivory is amazing.” Jack declared, unable to hold in his fury any more. The table seemed startled at his outburst and Ivory shook her head slightly at him, trying to stop him before things got worse. “She’s smart and talented, and you obviously know nothing about her if you call her difficult,” he said it with the same distaste as her mother. “She’s kind hearted and the sweetest person I’ve ever met, and finally meeting you guys tells me that it’s all her because she certainly didn’t learn it from any of you.” Ivory had never seen Jack so upset as he stood up from the table so forcefully, his chair fell back.

“Jack,” Ivory grabbed his hand, and pleaded with her eyes for him to sit down. She didn’t have the courage to stand up to her family, and she didn’t want her family to unleash on him because he did.

“I think we should go.” Jack glared at her mother and then turned to Ivory with his lips pressed together. He couldn’t listen to one more degrading line about her, she was too special for that. Ivory ducked her head down and stood up next to him, pushing her chair in afterward.

“Goodbye,” she mumbled before Jack pulled her from the silent room. Ivory was scared to death as she took small glances at Jack’s fierce expression. He was mad, his grip on her hand tight. She figured he was probably mad at her, for letting them talk to her like they did, or for not standing up for him more than she did. The hand holding was most likely for her family’s benefit. Ivory could feel the tingling prickles at the corners of her eyes as tears slowly started to escape.

Jack climbed into the driver seat and slammed the door behind him. He didn’t think it was possible to hate someone so much, but he couldn’t deny the burning fury he felt toward the people in that house. They acted so stuck up and standoffish, like Ivory was below them. The thought was implausible. It wasn’t until he’d reversed out of the driveway and was breathing normally that he could bear to look over at Ivory. She was staring out the front windshield, crying silently as she bit her bottom lip.

“Hey beautiful,” he spoke softly as his right hand reached over and gently caressed her cheek, wiping away what tears he could. “Are you okay? I’m sorry for back there. I didn’t mean to upset you, I just couldn’t,” Jack couldn’t even finish the sentence without feeling the venom from her mother’s words again.

“It’s my fault. I’m sorry.” Ivory sniffled as she tried to stop crying. She quickly wiped away the tears on her other cheek and pulled her face out of Jack’s reach. Horror took over Jack’s face as he slowed the car down and pulled over to the shoulder.

“Ivory,” he started and watched as she winced. “Ivory, look at me,” Jack demanded and she slowly turned her head. Her nose was red and her eyes were teary. It broke him to see her like this, and any anger that was left over from the dinner melted away. His loving brown eyes locked with hers. “I meant what I said back there. You are amazing and you are special. They have no right to talk about you like that, and I couldn’t listen to it anymore. You’re better than that.”

“I’m not better than that, Jack. They’re right.” Ivory sighed and sniffed again as she tried to keep the tears at bay while she talked. “I’m worthless and I deserve their criticism. You don’t, and I’m sorry for bringing you along. You shouldn’t have been scrutinized like a piece of meat, and I’m sorry, I really am.”

“I love you, Ivory Jenkins.” The words shocked her as he reached over and held her face in his hands lightly. “And I would never consider letting you go through that alone ever again. Believe me when I say, you outshine every last one of them.” He grinned and waited patiently for the smile to slowly creep onto her perfect lips.

Ivory sighed and rested her chin in his palm as she closed her eyes. “Where would I be without you?” She opened her eyes again and found his adoring eyes lingering on her.

“You’ll never have to find out, beautiful.” He whispered and pulled her closer to him as he leaned forward, pressing a gentle, caring kiss to her forehead. “Never,” he promised before letting her go and pulling the car back onto the road.
♠ ♠ ♠
as some of you guessed : ) he stood up for her! now if only I had my charming Barakat to save me from Thanksgiving *grimaces* anyway, I love the last part!
xooxEmber