Don't Say Goodbye

Chapter One

Marisa adjusted the strap of her shoulder bag as she pushed open the doors to her junior high. She was nervous to say the least. Her friends were attending a different school that was near their own area. Marisa on the other hand, was forced by her parents to attend the junior high with the better reputation.

She followed the crowd, hoping she was going the right direction. The crowd soon brought Marisa to the gym, the exact place she was supposed to be. She grinned, happy that she didn’t get lost, or wander into the teacher’s lounge. As she walked towards the bleachers, her lips quickly twisted downwards into a frown. She had not idea where to sit. It also didn’t help that the bleachers were full to the brim, making it impossible to get a seat alone. Sighing, Marisa stepped beside the bleachers, avoiding any human contact.

I wonder what Becky’s doing, she thought as she began to lean in the railings. She wondered about all her friends and what they were doing at the moment.

Ugh, probably having the time of their lives – without me, she bitterly thought.

Marisa swung her Vans clad feet back and forth, sending dust from the dirt covered floor everywhere. Someone cleared their throat, casting a big, dark shadow over her. She looked up, only to see a big burly woman.

“Sit,” she demanded in an accent.

“Uh, pardon?”

“I said sit down!” the woman boomed.

Marisa nodded, frightened by the giant brunette woman. She could barely understand the woman’s words that were coated in a thick Scottish accent.

Marisa nodded quickly again, sidestepping the lady and looking up into the bleachers. There was barely any room left for anyone. The little cracks between groups of people were filled in with bags and feet.

“I told you to sit!” a voice boomed. The dull click of high heels approached her from behind. It was the big lady, yet again.

“I’m sorry! But there’s nowhere to sit,” Marisa sighed. The lady rolled her eyes and stepped around the black haired girl who honestly would rather stand than sit.

“HEY!”

The entire gym stopped talking, becoming dead silent. Everyone stared at the gargantuan woman standing with her hands on her hips.

“MOVE TO THE LEFT!”

No questions asked, the entire student body slid as left as they could. This created about a hundred more seats for people.

Embarrassed, Marisa shuffled to the first row at the end of the bleacher; she wanted to sit alone.

“NOW SCOOT BACK OVER! FILL IN THE GODDAMN SEATS!”

With one last huff, the lady strutted back up to the podium that was set neatly in the center of the gym.

Following her demand, all the students scooted to the right, unfortunately squishing Marisa. Her shoulder pressed against the side of the bleachers, guaranteeing a bruise later today.

“Jess!”

Marisa cringed at the loudness of the boy next to her. She stared at the small boy wide eyed. How could he even scream that loud?

A girl that had dark chocolate hair jogged over to the boy next to her. The girl Marisa assumed that was named ‘Jess’ started to pant. She grabbed her knees, trying to catch her breath. The small baby blue bobby pin in her hair slowly slipped off her hair. It bounced and landed right next to Marisa’s shoe. Marisa picked it up and handed it back to the girl with a smile.

At first, Jess grinned at the girl who had luckily kept track of where her favourite pin dropped, but quickly frowned when she saw the discomfort on her face that was caused by her best friend.

“Kenny,” she began to scold. “Move to the right! You’re squishing the poor girl,” Jess demanded.

Kennedy Brock didn’t notice the uncomfortable position the girl next to him was put in.

“Oh, sorry,” he mumbled. His cheeks turned a light shade of pink. Kennedy wished he had his long hair to cover his cheeks rather than the fohawk his mom had forced upon him yesterday.

“I- I didn’t mean to hurt you or a-anything,” he stuttered.

Kennedy was a shy boy, especially around anyone new, or girls – with the exception of Jessica. When you put ‘new’ and ‘girl’ together, you’re gonna get the really awkward Kennedy.

He shifted to the right, ignoring the protests from the guys beside him.

“It’s no problem,” Marisa grinned at the boy. She stretched her arm above her head, hearing a satisfying crack. “As long as it’s still attached, I’m all good,” she joked. Kennedy could only manage to force out a shy smile and a quiet chuckle.

Attempting the break the awkward tension, Jess decided to butt in.

“I’m Jess.”

“And I’m Marisa.”

“I’m Kennedy!”

The two girls turned to look at the boy with red cheeks. He really didn’t mean to blurt it out – especially so loud.

“Yeah, he’s Kennedy, as the entire gym knows now,” Jessica teased. “Oh gosh, I wouldn’t be surprised if the rest of Tempe heard,” Marisa laughed. The two girls smiled and traded fist bumps. Jessica was actually surprised Marisa fist bumped her. Usually, other girls would accidently high five her fist.

“Scoot Kenny,” Jess commanded in a childish tone. Kennedy laughed and shook his head stubbornly. Taking this as a chance, Marisa poked Kenny in the ribs. He squealed and jumped up. Jess was quick to react and stole his seat.

“Yes! We win!” Jessica cheered. They both laughed at the pouting boy.

“Fine!” Kennedy bravely sat on Marisa and Jess’ laps, one thigh from each of them. Marisa was getting prepared to shove him off but the principle cleared his throat in the mic.

“Welcome grade sevens,” he began in a monotone voice. He didn’t seem to mind the fact that there was a boy sitting on two girls, for he just continued his yearly speech.

Marisa dozed off during the speech, resting her chin on Kennedy’s shoulder. He stiffened at the sudden contact, but Marisa was too far off to notice anything. Kenny took deep breaths. He relaxed, letting her head sink into the crease of his neck comfortably.
♠ ♠ ♠
OHHAI (:
I know it's short, but I wanna get this out there ASAP >:D
How're you guys likin' this so far?
Oh, btw, the girl that I linked as Marisa in the summary is indeed MARISA herself x]
This is entirely dedicated to her <3

Oi, Marisa dear :D
I hope you like the first chapter (:
Aha, and I honestly have no idea how long this story will go now...
:P