Breakeven

thirteen.

"The story is the same, I've just personalized the name."

Reese didn't want to tell Jonathan everything that had went down right outside the locker room. Even though she knew he saw Alexis and her mystery man, she wanted him to think she had just met him at the game and was innocently flirting. Though Alexis hadn't even made it clear to Reese who the guy actually was to her, she had a bad feeling about it. She knew telling Jon would seriously back track him on his road to recovery, but she also didn't want to lie to him. Lying would come back tenfold and that was not something Reese wanted to happen.

"Yeah, it was me," she admitted.

"Why were you yelling?" Jon asked, glancing over at her briefly before putting his eyes back towards the road.

"Because," Reese sighed, playing with her fingers. Jon looked over at her with an expectant stare; she knew he wanted her to continue. Taking another deep breath she complied to his gaze and began to explain herself. "I know you saw that...guy Alexis was with," Reese began, and Jon nodded. "Well I was coming down by the locker room to see if there was any way they'd let me by, but I ran into Alexis before I could even reach security. She was trying to find you, and I told her to back off," Reese finished, sucking her bottom lip between her teeth uneasily as she waited for Jonathan's reaction.

"She came to see me?" Jonathan finally spoke slowly, his voice quiet. Reese nodded and swallowed hard, she knew this wasn't going to be good. "And you told her to leave?" He asked, his voice rising.

"Jon- it was for your own good. She's nice a good person Jonny," Reese tried desperately to reason with him, though she already knew he was going to start to scream at her sooner rather than later.

"You don't know what's good for me!" His voice boomed. "And you don't know anything about her! She came to see me Reese! How could you tell her to leave? I knew she wanted to get back together, but you had to go fuck everything up!" He screamed at his friend. Reese cowered in the passenger seat of the car; never had Jonathan’s anger been directed at her like this before. "Listen- just because Sean was a shit boyfriend and your relationship fell apart doesn't mean the same thing's going to happen for mine!"

Jonathan wasn't the type of person to cause conflicts. He had been known to take things a bit too seriously, and get frustrated easily when he couldn't do something correctly- but he would never cause an unnecessary fight. When faced with a bad situation he tended to take the high road and walk away, he never hit anyone while they were down, and he hated getting in arguments. But he knew as soon as the words left his lips from his last comment he hit a nerve. Reese's already cowering form became almost limp as she hunched over in her seat. He hadn't intended to let his anger get the better of him, but he did and he had consequently hurt one of his best friends.

"Reese I-"

"Don't," she cut him off.

"I'm sorr-"

"Don't even start with me Jon," she growled. "I may not be the best at relationships because of what happened with Sean, but I do know enough about them to know when one is over. And I hate to be so blunt, and unlike you I don't enjoy hitting people below the belt, but you and Alexis are over. Over. Do you understand? She broke up with you Jon, and she was with another guy tonight. She doesn't want to be with you anymore, okay?" She seethed. "And I only say that because I don't want you to get hurt. Alexis breaking up with you is not the end of the world Jonathan, you have to realize that!"

"You don't fucking understand Reese!" He yelled back.

"Oh, I don't understand what it's like to get your heart smashed? At least she was sort of nice about it. At least you didn't come home to find her fucking your best friend in the bed you slept in together for so many fucking nights. Don't you dare tell me I don't understand," she scolded him. "We both got our heartbroken, the story's just a little different."

"She was it," Jon whispered quietly. Reese nodded at Jonathan's words; she knew how much he loved her and how much it hurt when she left him. "She was that one true love."

"Jonny," Reese began softly, taking a deep breath to pause and gather her words. "To get over her, you have to realize that there's going to be other girls. She may have felt like your end all be all, but she wasn't. And you're going to find someone else that makes you feel just as good, if not better, than she did. You just have to get over her first," she explained.

"But I don't want to," he admitted pathetically.

"I know," she said, placing her tiny hand on his bicep. "You need some closure."

“I can get her to take me back,” Jonathan stated boldly.

“Jonny,” she began, but Jon cut her off quickly.

“Don’t make me regret letting you stay with me,” he snapped.

“I just don’t want to see you getting anymore hurt than you already are,” she said meekly.

“Well just do me a favor and let me live my life without you putting your two cents in every five seconds, okay?” He asked, clearly annoyed.

Reese knew it was just his anger talking, and that when he realized he was wrong he would probably apologize to her, but that didn’t make the sting hurt any less. She truly just wanted Jonathan to be happy again, and he was just setting himself up for disaster. She felt completely helpless as she watched him make all the wrong decisions.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry this was so short, the next few will be much longer.
i would love it if you went and read&commented my new TJ Oshie story and i would love it just as much if you gave me some feedback on this chapter!
xoxo.