Breakeven

nineteen.

"For the record I wish we never met, and opened up this mess."

Living with Adam Burish was not Reese's idea of a good time. Sure, spending a night there was fine but after that things just went downhill. Adam was not as clean as Jonathan, he wasn't as helpful in the kitchen as Jonathan was, and seeing him walk around the house shirtless just wasn't the same. Reese was heartbroken as she sat around and thought about Jonathan and Alexis playing house. Adam didn't make things easy either.

"I swear, you're such a cock block sometimes," Adam said as he watched the girl close the front door behind her.

"Well, sorry," Reese snorted. "I can leave next time you want to fuck some poor innocent girl."

"Hey, if she's getting with me there is no reason to pity her at all," Adam smirked. Reese rolled her eyes and quickly began to get her things together to leave. "Where're you going?" He questioned.

"I've decided that I'm going to back to school. And I need a job," Reese stated boldly. "And I also need to go back to Jon's place to go get a few things," she added with a grumble.

"Well good luck with that. El captain has pretty much holed himself up in his apartment since that bitch came back. I think maybe he knows she's just gonna leave him again and so he's trying to spend as much time with her as possible."

"Yeah, well thank God you're leaving for a two week road trip. Some time apart will do them good," Reese stated. "And I don't even know why he would want to reopen a wound that was almost healed."

"Reese, you're not God. And I know you think you were getting somewhere with him but the truth is he was still hung up on her. He was so convinced they were gonna be this amazing power couple and when she just left...I've never seen him so down. Don't just waltz in there thinking you have all the answers, okay? Just go with the flow," Adam advised his new roommate.

"Whatever," she mumbled, throwing her bag over her shoulder and making her way to the door. "I'll call you and tell you what happens."

"I'll be waiting with baited breath," he grinned sarcastically.

As Reese rode the bus to Jon's condo Adam's words looped around in her head. Maybe he was right. Just because she thought their relationship was destructive didn't mean it was. Just because she thought Alexis was a heartless bitch didn't mean she was. And just because she thought Jonathan was stupid for taking her back maybe he wasn't. She wasn't in his shoes. She didn't know what their relationship was really like. She only knew what she was told, which in reality wasn't much at all. Maybe she was being to protective. And maybe she was a little jealous.

She had just fished her keys out of her bag when she heard the screaming through the thick door. Alexis was screeching at the top of her lungs and she could just barely make out Jonathan's deep voice defending himself. Normally Reese would just turn around and walk away, but she wanted to watch Alexis crash and burn. And she would never said I told you so out loud, but it'd be a nice thought to have.

"...How can you even possibly defend yourself?" Alexis was yelling when Reese pushed the door open and took a quick step inside. Alexis didn't even notice Reese because she was too wrapped up in her screaming, but Jonathan's eyes immediately landed on her and although he didn't grin widely Reese knew he was happy to see her. "Do you think this is funny?!" Alexis raged, clearly noting the sudden glint in Jon's eyes. When she finally whipped her body around and her eyes landed on Reese, fire seemed to burn in her soul. It was then Reese noticed the way both parties were dressed. Jonathan was wearing nothing more than a pair of basketball shorts that were hanging inappropriately low on his hips and Alexis was wearing a pair of panties and one of Jonathan's old college tee-shirts.

"Am I interrupting something?" Reese asked with a light smile, hoping Alexis wouldn't resort to attacking her.

"Just me leaving," she answered, sending a glare to Jonathan before stomping towards his bedroom. Reese rasied an eyebrow and briefly glanced at Jonathan who looked oddly amused. She sent him a side smile and watched as Alexis stomped out of the bedroom, her large suitcase in tow.

"You two are like, pathetically perfect for each other," she spat. Reese raised an eyebrow, confused as to what she meant. "And don't you even try and tell me otherwise, Jonathan," she pointed at him angrily. "You just better hope you can keep your names right this time." And with that last sentiment she was out the door. Reese and Jonathan were quiet for a few moments, digesting the situation.

"That was awkward," Jonathan finally spoke with a small smile as he rubbed the back of his neck uneasily.

"What was she talking about Jonathan?" Reese immediately asked, wondering exactly what Alexis had been so angry about.

"It was nothing," he tried to laugh off.

"Jonathan," she said sternly, her eyes narrowing. He sighed deeply and placed his hands on the couch he was leaning against. His gaze refused to meet Reese's and he instead chose to stare at the floor. "Just say it!" She instructed him.

"We were right in the middle of having sex and I called out your name," he stated bluntly. Reese's eyes grew to the size of saucers and her face tensed up.

"Oh," she stated awkwardly.

"Yeah," Jon said softly, rubbing the back of his neck again.
♠ ♠ ♠
short but necessary. this story is winding down. only a few more chapters left!
i'd love to hear what you think!<3
xoxo.