Breakeven

nine.

"We've all got problems when it comes to the soul."

"I'd date Evgeni Malkin," Reese stated as she and Jon watched the Olympics. Jonathan let out a laugh, the first one she heard from him in a while, and glanced down at her. She was curled up on the couch, her head pressed against the side of his thigh. They were in his living room post his mental break down in the driveway.

"He doesn’t even speak English," Jonathan laughed.

"He does so! I've seen interviews! It's not very good English but I can teach him," she grinned, glancing up at him.

"You're ridiculous," he continued to laugh.

"Jealous?" She asked, raising an eyebrow. Jonathan suddenly got serious again, his joyful smile fading as his eyes wandered towards Reese's stomach absentmindedly. He got lost in his thoughts again, all of said thoughts drifting back to Alexis. He wondered what she was doing, where she was, who she was with. He wondered if she was as broken up about this as he was, he doubted it, but he liked to hope.

"Do you think I'd be a good boyfriend?" He asked her softly. "Like, not to you. But to Alexis, do you think I did something to make her leave? I mean, it had to be my fault. I just can't figure out what I did," he rambled. "Do you think it was because I was never home? Do you think it finally got to her?"

"Jonny," Reese began. She grabbed his forearm and pulled herself up, crossing her legs and then grabbing his hand softly. "You can't go blaming yourself for what happened. I know you would make a wonderful boyfriend and husband. And I know you; you're the type of person who puts everything he has into everything he does. I know you were the same with your relationship Alexis. You can't beat yourself up over this. It's obvious that something happened with her, and I know because you don't know what it is it kills you every single day. But right now you just need to work on yourself. And you can figure everything else out when you get back to Chicago."

Jon stared at his friend as she spoke. He watched the way her lips moved and how her eyes showed every single emotion she was feeling at any given moment. He wondered how she was so good at giving him advice when she was suffering from a broken heart as well.

"How can you tell me all of this?" He asked. "Do you really believe it?"

"When I talk to you and give you advice I forget about what happened to me. I take myself out of my situation and just focus on yours. If I thought about what happened with me I would be completely biased," she laughed lightly.

"What would you say if you were being biased?" He asked curiously.

"That Alexis is a dumb bitch and she's a complete idiot for leaving you," she said simply. Jonathan cracked a small smile at his friend. "But I can't say things like that because I'm just telling you that because that's how I feel about Sean," she told him. She let his hand free and raked her fingers through her rust colored curls.

"So what about you then?" He inquired.

"What do you mean?"

"What about you? What do you think you need to be doing to get over Sean?"

"I think I probably need some closure. Him just thanking me for the Chinese food as he fucked my best friend in front of me isn't exactly the best way to say good-bye. But to tell you the truth, I'd much rather know why she was screwing him. I mean, boyfriends come and go, friends are supposed to stay with you forever," she reasoned.

"And what about the biased advice to yourself?" He grinned.

"I should probably cut off his dick and send it to her," she smiled widely. "That'd be pretty good revenge, whadda ya think?" She wiggled her eyebrows, making Jonathan laugh. In turn Reese laughed, and then Jonathan laughed harder, and then soon they were a huddled mess ontop of each other as they just laughed until their stomachs hurt and tears were slipping out of the side of their eyes.

"You should really come live with me," Jonathan said, wiping away the tears from his eyes once they were able to gain composure of themselves.

"You think so, huh?" Reese asked, crossing her legs again and tilting her head to the side, her bangs falling in her eyes. Jonathan smiled and tucked her bangs behind her ear.

"Yeah," he nodded.

"As long as you think it's a good idea," Reese smiled softly, biting her lip.

"I do," he confirmed.

"Maybe I can help you find a nice girl," Reese suggested jokingly. Jonathan got serious again and shook his head gravely.

"No," he said. "Alexis was it. She was the one."

"Jonny, you don't know that," she tried.

"Yes I do," he snapped, cutting her off. "I'm going to get her back Reese, don't tell me otherwise. I told you before, this whole thing is just a misunderstanding."

Reese smiled sadly at her friend. That was one thing that set them apart when it came to their broken hearts. Reese knew her relationship was over, and she wouldn't even try to mend it. As much as it hurt her to admit, Sean had moved on- he didn't want her anymore.

Jonathan on the other hand was still convinced Alexis loved him. He believed that once he got back to Chicago she would be waiting there with open arms. Alexis was his one and only, she was the only girl he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. According to him, there was no one else.

Reese wished he would realize how wrong he was sooner than later. Otherwise, he would be dealing with a broken heart a lot longer than he should.
♠ ♠ ♠
bumbumbum.
what do you thinks gonna happen next? what do you want to happen next? tell me what you like, tell me what you don't like.
feedback please!<3
xoxo.