When it goes wrong

Bad news

A group of teens laughed and cheered "chug chug chug" as thier friend drank a bottle of Vodka all in one go. They cheered even louder as the liquid drained slowly. Thier friend coughed and spluttered as the liquid burned his throat.
Ray patted his back. "Good job Frank and I didn't think you could do it."

"Thanks for the suport" he slured in reply coughing again.

"You okay?" asked Mikey in concern. He was the child of the group.

"Yeah" slured Frank before laughing.

Mikey just smiled shyly in return.

The phone rang and Gerard hurried to get it. Mikey got up to get it but Gerard slowed as he approached the phone. "Don't worry Mikey, just keep an eye on Frank there" he said gently smiling.

Mikey smiled back and nodded.

Gerard picked up the phone and swallowed nervously. "Hi" he said trying not to sound nervous. If his parents found out that he was drinking he was dead. If he found out he was bringing Mikey he really was dead.

"Hello, Is Mr Way speaking?" Profesional. It wasn't his parents. He breathed a sigh of relief.

"My father is out at the moment. I'm his son. Can you tell me what this is about?"

"Gerard?"

"Yeah thats me. Whats this about?"

"I supose I can tell you. Your also in her emergency contacts."

"Emergency contacts? Whats happenning?!"

"I'm sorry but your grandmother Elena died last night. When are your parents home?"

"Don't worry, I'll tell them. Thanks, Where was she burried?"

"New Jersy Cemetery."

"Thanks."

He hung up. He stared and didn't believe it. He had lost his world. He had lost the person that meant more than his parents. Elena was a great grandmother and more than just a family member...she was a friend. She taught him how to sing and to play guiter. She was great at story telling and taught him alot about life and everything else.

Now she was gone.

Oh god. How was he going to tell Mikey? What about the band? Everything had been going so good but this...this was just so....fucked. He stared at the phone as if the inanimate object had caused her death but that was crazy. He snapped back to reality as he felt arms around him. "Brother?" a scared voice said.

He breathed in the familiar scent of his brother and leant into the hug. "Mikey" he said wth relief.

"What happened? You were gone a long time so I asked the guys if they should check but they said you would be okay so I waited but then went to check. You looked angry and sorta...sad. I was calling your name but you wouldn't respond and i got worried. You-" Gerard cut off Mikeys babbbles.

"Shes dead" he whispered in disbelief.

Mikey held him tighter and ran his hand through his Gerards hair.

Gerard stared angrily at the floor. "SHES FUCKING DEAD MIKES!!!! AND THERES NOTHING WE COULD DO!!" he screamed tears pouring down his face as he struggled and bashed his fists on the floor like a child. "Shes dead Mikes. I couldn't save her" he whispered and callapsed in Mikeys embrace sobbing.

Mikey held him tightly and stayed silent. Now was the time for action not words.

Exhausted Gerard went limp.