Sunglasses

.001

I was driving down the street as I thought about how my life had fallen to shreds. It only took one week.

Monday started with Kelly. Kelly, my best friend hates me now because her crush of 1 year has announced his love for me. She claims it’s my entire fault and insists that I should take full responsibility.

Tuesday was when I flunked my first test, ever, in science. My parents found out and they are so disappointed in me that it hurts.

Wednesday was when Brain broke up with me. Brain and I have been together since the end of freshman year, 3 years ago, so us breaking up now is just unexpected.

Thursday was when Brain and Kelly got together and Kelly told the whole school that they had been seeing each other everyday behind my back for a year. That means only 2 years of that reationship was real.

Friday was my fall from the throne. I walked into school and everyone was whispering about me behind my back while Kelly smirked at me. I knew what they were saying, and it’s not nice.

Today I got up and decided that I would just drive. And when I get bored of driving, I decided I would walk. I drove and drove. Then I parked the car and started walking in the direction my feet seemed to be taking me.

I had ended up in the park. The sight of many memories from when Brain, Kelly and I would go to just be together. The three musketeers. The thought seems ironic now. No doubt she doesn’t like him like that, she’s only mad and Kelly stoops low when she’s mad. I suppose that she didn’t think about the fact that she just threw away many years of friendship for a petty goal. Of course it won’t occur to Kelly, it never will. In her mind the world is out against her and all of the few friends she has.

Then the loneliness sets in and I begin to cry. The tears come softly at first, but soon they reach full water works stage. After my small pity party I turn my attention to how beautiful this park really is. It has rolling hills, with an outlining of trees, and pretty fluffy clouds. As I sit looking at the land in front of me I hear a voice call out to me.

“You know it’s really much prettier with this beautiful lady beside me.” I blushed. I had never heard this voice, but it sounded like it belongs to a handsome body. I turned around and found I was right. The guy held out a pair of reflective sunglasses.

“You look like you need them.”

“And why do I need them?” I inquired. At this he leaned real close and whispered in my ear.

“’Cause it looks like you’ve been crying.” I blushed harder and accepted the sunglasses, hastily putting them on.

“Why are you so interested in an ordinary girl?” I asked him. “Especially one whose name you don’t even know.” The man smirked and I continued, “We’re practically strangers.”

“Ok, well I’m Duke. What’s your name?” and Duke held out his hand. I shook while I told him my name, “Alice.”

“Well, it looks like we both have cool names. Now we have to be friends.” Normally I would have found this creepy, but with the charming smile Duke tacked on, it was impossible. I gave him a genuine smile.

“See, that’s not so hard! A beautiful beginning already!” I giggled. “Now that I’ve made you laugh, will you tell me why a young lady such as yourself is so down?”

“That depends.”

“On what?”

“On wheather I’m ready to tell you,” I said, suddenly serious.

“Are you ready?” he asked, seeming concerned for me. I pause for a second.

“I’m sorry, but no.”

“Well, the I suppose I’ll have to settle for getting to know you better!” he said, bounding to his feet.

“And how do you intend on doing that?” I asked as I accepted the hand he offered me to help me up.

“Well, we could just fire questions at each other,” Duke proposed.

“That sounds good to me,” and with that, Duke tugged me up on to my feet, a little to close to him then the general friend distance. I pulled away.

“Me first!” Duke exclaimed. “How old are you?”

“Didn’t your mother raise you right? Never ask a girl that!” I scolded playfully.

“Yes, but I was told that applies to 29 and over.” I laughed. “And seeing as you’re at least 19 I don’t see a problem.”

“Good guess, but not quite. Seventeen. Now how old are you?”

“Nineteen. I feel old,” he joked. I giggled at him, and our game continued ranging from boyfriends(girlfriends) to what age we were when we lost our first tooth. As I walked home that night, I had forgotten all of my worries. All of the problems that made me feel so panicked only hours before. Duke just had that effect. I hope I see more of him, but I can only feel like I’m not good enough.

As I lay in bed that night I anticipated going to school on Monday. Then I felt my phone buzz.

Night m’lady

I rolled over smiling and fell asleep, calm for the fact I had a maybe future with a great new best friend in it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm thinking about making this a longer story, but this is my entry. FEEDBACK! Please.