Status: Updates In Progress :)

Cross My Heart

Chapter 1

“Your voice was the soundtrack of my summer. Do you know you’re unlike any other? You’ll always be my thunder. Your eyes are the brightest of all the colors. I don’t wanna ever love another. You’ll always be my thunder, so bring on the rain, bring on the thunder.” Eliza’s cell phone sang the lyrics to the chorus of Thunder by Boys Like Girls; her ringtone. Eliza sat up in her bed and reached over to the table that held her cell phone.

“Hello?” she asked the mysterious caller.

“Hi, love.” Eliza recognized the voice of her two-year girlfriend, Meagan. A smile erupted over her face.

“Hi Meagan. How are you?”

“I’m fine. Mum is out grocery shopping, so this was my only time I could call. Sorry if I woke you up.”

“It’s fine, baby. What’s up with you?”

Eliza laid back down on her pillows, and listened to Meagan’s silk-smooth voice.

“Nothing, really. School, Orchestra, and Art are getting really boring. I can’t seem to find anything to keep me occupied anymore. It stinks.”

“Aw, that’s shitty. My life has been okay since Derek got back from college. He leaves before Christmas, though, so that sucks.” Derek was Eliza’s oldest brother, and the only one of her siblings that she seemed to actually like.

“Oh yeah, that reminds me. Are you able to come down for Christmas? Mum said you could stay here with me, for however long your mother will let you stay.”

Eliza could hear the enthusiasm and excitement in Meagan’s voice, and she made a decision.

“Actually, my mother said I have to stay here for Christmas. But, I’ll get down there, I cross my heart. Then we can be alone and my mother won’t find out. I’ll leave a note saying I went to Dad’s for two weeks.” She felt proud at how that plan might actually work.

“‘Liza, what if she calls your dad?”

“She doesn’t know his number. I’m the only one in the house that knows it, and I keep it in a journal. I’ll bring the number with me, just in case they look for it.”

“Wow. You’re serious, aren’t you?”

“Hell yes. Babe, I will do whatever the fuck it takes to get down there and be able to see you again.”

Meagan giggled.

In the distance, Eliza could hear Meagan’s mother talking.

“‘Liza? I’ll call you in about half an hour. I’m gonna talk to Mum about the plan.”

“Okay, hun. I love you.”

“I love you too.”

The line went dead, and Eliza shut her cell phone. She sat up in her bed and looked across the room, to the bookshelf that held a picture from the previous year’s Christmas visit.

Eliza and Meagan had gone to the fireworks show and watched everyone set off their own fireworks. Eliza had stolen two sparklers from the man in front of them, and gave one to Meagan. They had stood in the same position, fingers intertwined, holding their sparklers, for almost an hour, when a heart-shaped firework went up in the sky. Meagan, being the sensitive one, was in awe at the firework. Eliza, however, thought it was the perfect time to kiss her. So, she did. Meagan was shocked at first, but adapted well. Their bodies and lips were moving perfectly in sync with one another’s, and they both wanted the night to go on forever. Soon after a couple homophobic yells throughout the crowd, the girls decided to run to a Port-A-Potty to continue their actions. Once they reached the Port-A-Potty, they squeezed in it together, their bodies pressed against one another. They resumed kissing and meshing their bodies together, until Eliza pulled away abruptly.

“We need a picture of this.” she had said, pulling her camera out of her pocket. She snapped the picture of them in the portable bathroom, and had had that picture ever since.

Eliza was growing more depressed with every second, and within the next ten seconds, felt her face get wet from her tears. Why was she crying? She had just talked to Meagan; she shouldn’t be sad yet. Plus, she was going to follow through with her plans this time. After all, she had crossed her heart.