Sequel: An Old Beginning
Status: Complete

Guilty Pleasures

Chapter 37

Gerard drove toward Naomi's house, his hands clenched on the steering wheel. His knuckles were turning white with the force that he was gripping it. He had one thought, and one thought only, and that was- he had to see her. It probably wasn’t the wisest decision he’d ever made, especially considering the mood he was in, but he had to confront her.

Gerard had only caught glimpses of Naomi over the past few months. The day after she’d stayed to talk to him, she had rearranged her schedule, transferring out of his class and ultimately, out of his life. Anytime he would get close to her, she would turn and run the other way, until finally, Gerard just stopped making the effort. It was better that they weren’t seen together since he still got looks from some of the other teachers, but he couldn’t just shut off his feelings.

Gerard had tried to subtly get some information out of Jordan. He didn’t know how much she knew about the entire situation, but he knew that girls often confided in each other, and Jo seemed to be his best option for finding out anything, but the tall blonde clammed up whenever he broached the subject.

It wasn’t until tonight that Gerard was chaperoning the senior prom that he’d felt his heart nearly stop when he overheard Naomi's name in a conersation between some of the gossip queens of Belville High.

Have you heard why Naomi Hackett has practically dropped out?

No, what’s the deal with her, anyway? I mean, she’s never in class.

Well, rumor has it, she’s pregnant!


Gerard had fought to keep from blacking out at that particular bit of news. He didn’t know what scared him more- Naomi being pregnant with his child, or Naomi sleeping around with someone else and getting pregnant with another man’s child. Both thoughts caused a near-violent reaction for two completely different reasons.

Pulling in front of her house, Gerard rested his head against the steering wheel, trying to figure out how to go about doing this. He knew he had to be very careful and he also knew his temper had a way of getting him into trouble. Gerard slowly got out of the car, breathing a sigh of relief that her mother’s car wasn’t in the driveway, thanking any and every higher power that he might get to talk to Naomi alone. He didn’t know if he wanted to see Donna Hackett tonight, in case Naomi had told her about their relationship. At any rate, it would be complicated trying to explain why her former high school history professor was standing at her door on the night of the Belville High senior prom.

Slowly walking up to the door, Gerard knocked, taking a step back and shoving his hands in the pockets of his jacket. He felt his stomach tying itself into knots as he waited.

---------
Probably not the last one today.. We shall see..