Sequel: An Old Beginning
Status: Complete

Guilty Pleasures

Chapter 4

Naomi was terrified as she walked toward her history class the next day. The kiss they had shared had been haunting her, and she didn’t know how she was going to be able to sit in front of him for an hour.

‘What if he told somebody?’ Naomi wondered, feeling more tension flow through her muscles. ‘Would I get in trouble? No, of course he wouldn’t tell anyone- he would get into trouble,’ she thought with a sigh of relief before a new thought occurred. ‘What if he hates me now?’

These thoughts and more were fluttering through Naomi's mind as she entered Mr. Way's class. Their eyes met briefly before Naomi turned away, feeling ashamed. She slowly walked to her seat, offering a tentative smile to Jo as she sat down, still avoiding any eye contact.

‘How could you kiss your teacher, Nae?’ she asked herself, fighting the urge to bury her face in her hands as she stared at her desk.

Gerard watched Naomi with a worried expression. He felt guilty about taking advantage of her, but she seemed even more withdrawn than she was yesterday. He had to fight to tear his eyes away from her, wishing he could talk to her.

Naomi took notes as the seconds seemed to drag by. She never allowed herself to raise her eyes from her notebook, but she could feel his
presence, wherever he happened to be. Naomi could feel his eyes on her as he walked through the rows of desks as his students took notes, and she had to fight the shivers that were wanting to race down her spine.

She was beginning to wonder if the hour was ever going to end when the bell finally rang. Naomi hurriedly gathered her books, trying to slip by unnoticed. Of course, it didn’t work.

“Miss Hackett…could you stay for a moment?”

Naomi nervously bit her lip as Jo turned to wave good-bye to her. Naomi watched with trepidation as the door of the classroom closed, leaving her alone with him. Taking a deep breath to steady her nerves, she turned around and locked her eyes with his as he took a few steps toward her.

“Miss Hackett-“

“Mr. Way, I’m sorry,” Naomi blurted out, taking a step forward as he tilted his head, looking at her in confusion. “What happened yesterday- I never meant to do that, and I just wanted to say I was sorry, because I know you would never want me in that way, and I-“

“Naomi,” he said softly, interrupting her tirade as he took another step closer. “You didn’t do anything wrong.”

“But I-“

“It was my fault,” Gerard continued. “I took advantage of a vulnerable situation, and I hope you can forgive me…and as for wanting you in that way…”

Gerard didn’t say any more as Naomi blushed, looking down. “It wasn’t your fault,” Naomi replied, shaking her head.

Gerard began to laugh as he shook his head. “I guess we can agree that we were both in the wrong,” he said with a smile as he looked at her before
the smile slowly dropped. “Naomi, I need to ask you not to mention this to anyone.”

“Of course,” Naomi said with a soft smile as she nodded. “I know you could get into trouble, and I would never want that to happen.”

Gerard gave her a grateful smile. “Thank you,” he said genuinely. “I hope you’ll still let me help you after school.”

“I’d like that,” Naomi nodded.

“What about today?” Gerard asked, waiting almost hopefully for her answer.

“Great,” Naomi replied with false enthusiasm. She wasn’t sure if she could be in such close proximity to him without thinking of that kiss.

“So, it’s forgotten then?” he asked.

“It never happened,” Naomi replied.

Except it did…and they both knew it.