Status: Completed.

The Wonder of You

What Are You Writing A Book?

Emmett was furious at the human that caused him so much pain.

It had been over fifty years since he had last tasted human blood, and she was making him yearn for her blood! Had she made him only yearn for her blood, it would’ve been fine, but her smile, her hair, her body, her voice made him yearn for her being.

This couldn’t be right! He had a mate; he loves Rosalie, doesn’t he? Of course he does! She rescued him from death, taught him how to survive off of animal blood, been his companion since he was turned he loves her, he has too.

He knew he had to go back to school, or else they would call Esme and she would surely fret and fuss over him. He quickly drained two deer of their blood and made his way back to school.

“Did you not have a vision Alice,” asked Edward at they stood outside during their brunch.

“I did,” Alice said meekly.

The Cullen’s softly gasped and asked, “Why didn’t you tell us?”

“Rosalie was in the house! You know how she is, I tell Emmett he’s going to find the person he’s meant to be with and you know for a fact that she would’ve come here and killed Pauly!”

“So that’s why you sent her to France to play muse for your friend the fashion designer.”

“Yes, I figured it was the best thing to do. But what about when she comes back?”

“I don’t know, a lot can happen in a year.”

As they finished their conversation Emmett made his appearance back at the parking lot. He had already gotten his first two teachers to disregard his lack of attendance, claiming that he did not feel well.

He eyed his siblings and through gritted teeth said, “Don’t start.”

They had never seen Emmett so angry and lost in thought. Usually he didn’t think, and when he did it always dealt with sex, bears, or football.

They accommodated his mood and did not touch the subject of Pauly but although they didn’t talk about her, she was in front of them during brunch getting a smoke with her gang as she sat on her motorcycle with Brad standing besides her.

Emmett was annoyed by the close proximity that Brad was in. Although Emmett had sworn to himself that he would not allow himself to fall for her, he still felt incredibly jealous of the fact that Brad was so close to her and wanted to walk over to them and throw Brad into the middle of nowhere.

Soon the bell rang and the teenagers dispersed to go to their third period. Third and fourth period passed by very quickly. Bella and Alice kept each other company, seeing as to how they had all of their classes together.

Emmett had Jasper in four of his classes, just being without him during third and fourth. It was during third and fourth that Jasper had Pauly for a class. He walked into class and was about to sit by himself in the front but was taken out of his thoughts when Pauly shouted out, “Major!”

Jasper saw her and couldn’t help but smile, she was in the back of the class wearing black Ray Ban glasses sitting next to Frankie, Tony, and Bobby.

“You know they made clear eyes right,” said Jasper with a smile on his face.

“Yes, Major, but clear eyes is totally not appropriate. We do this the old school way.”

“I see,” he said not really understanding why ridding themselves of red eye after they smoked would be inappropriate.

“So how’s school been treating you?”

“Alright so far.”

“Good to hear. So what’s your tale nightingale?”

“huh?”

“It means what’s your story.”

“Oh okay. We moved from Washington, our adoptive father Carlisle got a better job here.”

“Better job?”

“Not better, but the area much calmer and we like tranquility.”

“Amen to that this town hasn’t seen any violence since ’61.”

“What happened then?”

“It’s a long story Major.”

“I’m not paying attention to the teacher am I?”

“Alright, so back in the 1950’s this town wasn’t as picturesque as you would’ve imagined. It was trouble. There were preps as usual and they made hell for the greasers. In this town there are two greaser gangs, the T-Birds and the Scorpions.”

“The gangs are still in existence right? I mean you are T-Birds.”

“True, they still exist. Well as I said the preps fought with the Greasers, but that wasn’t really much of fighting. The true fights were with the Scorpions. The Scorpions weren’t your typical greasers.”

“How so?”

“You see we greasers, true greasers, we aren’t hoodlums that go walking around looking for a fight we protect our turf and make sure that our town is safe from criminals. But the scorpions fuck, they liked to make trouble. They started fights over nothing, raped a bunch of preps and greasers. Naturally the T-Birds, led by my grandfather, felt that they had to protect the town. So a war broke out between the T-Birds and the Scorpions. It was the bloodiest greaser war that any greaser had endured. It lasted five years and thirty greasers died. At the end of it, the Scorpions were on the brink of extinction but they decided to strike a deal. They would remain in charge of the southern half of town as long as they do not cause trouble in the northern part of town. A lot of good people died in order for order to be restored to these parts.”

Jasper felt sorrow shoot throughout Pauly’s body; he wanted to make her happier but could not do so without giving his abilities away.

He looked at her and asked, “Were any of them your family?”

She gave a sad smile and said, “You know why my grandfather felt that he needed to protect the town so badly?”

“Why?”

“Because the bastards raped, beat, and murdered my grandmother. That’s why.”

“I’m so sorry.”

“It’s alright, I figure if she hadn’t have passed away then more damage would’ve happened so it was for the best.”

“How many kids did your grandpa raise? Did he remarry?”

“Let’s see he was 19 and raising three kids on his own. Never remarried, loved her too much to ever move on.”

“That’s sad.”

“He’s happy now, has all his grandchildren and uh he teaches us how to fight like back in the day.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, he taught us how to fight with brass knuckles, chains, baseball bats, with everything practically.”

“That actually sounds like a lot of fun. Is there a leader in the gang?”

“Yeah there is.”

“Who is it?”

“She is.”

The boys answered before she got a chance too. She laughed a musical laugh and said, “Where are you guys eating during lunch?”

“I don’t know a table I suppose.”

“Eat with us, we’d like you to join our table.”

It was settled, the Cullen’s would be eating their lunch with the Greaser’s and their ladies.

In the cafeteria there were three large tables placed in the middle of the room, everyone knew that these tables were reserved strictly for the T-Bird gang and their ladies.

All eyes were on the Cullen’s as they made their way to the table. Everyone in the cafeteria was shocked at the fact that the new kids had made friends with the T-Birds, because many of the kids in the high school dreamed of being able to sit next to them and never had the chance too.

Once everyone had finished their lunch the group moves outside to sit on the cars and smoke out a little.

Pauly sat on her motorcycle with Brad sitting next to her, an arm draped around her shoulder but with his head far away so as to not breathe the smoke of the “toxic mary jane.”

Jasper implored Pauly to tell the history of the greasers, and everyone in the town. The Cullen’s were fascinated by the story, and especially touched by the thought of her grandfather going and taking out those that had killed his love.

At the end of it Emmett spoke for the first time in the day and said, “Aren’t boys the only ones allowed to be in charge?”

“You got a voice pretty boy? I was beginning to think you were a mute. But nah, it all depends on being the first born from the first born in the Lombardi family.”

“You’re Italian?”

“That I am.”

“Do you lift weights?”

“Have to. I gotta to be in top shape if a war ever breaks out again during my time.”

“Are you expecting a war?”

“I expect the unexpected.”

“But are you expecting a war.”

“What are you writing a book?”

“Huh, what I’m not writing a book.”

Brad stepped in, annoyed at how much attention this Emmett figure was giving to his girlfriend and said, “It means that you ask too many questions. You should cool it.”

“Brad, baby, cool your temper. I don’t think it’s very becoming for my square of a boyfriend to
have bad manners, one of us has to be proper and that sure as fuck ain’t me.”

“Ain’t isn’t a word.”

“Does it look like I care?”

An awkward silence filled the parking lot and Jasper decided to kill it by inquiring, “So why are you hanging out with us?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well everyone at the high school, tells us you guys never hang out with people outside your Greaser circle.”

“That’s because none of them are cool enough.”

“So you think we’re cool?”

“You guys are indeed some cool cats. These squares here they worship us, see us as these good looking gods. We are good looking I won’t deny it, but it gets annoying you know. I’m sure you know. You’re all gorgeous, so you get the looks. They want your outside, but don’t give a fuck about the inside. Which is why we don’t like ‘em. But you, you guys there’s more to you.”

Pauly turned and the Cullen’s saw her profile. She was beautiful and had stars tattooed on the side of her face.

Emmett was bewitched by her, he had never thought tattoos were attractive on a woman but she was changing his mind on that. She brought up the blunt to her lips and blew out making an O shape with the smoke.

Brad came back with the her coca cola and she put out her blunt to take a swig from her glass bottle, she thanked brad and then excused herself from the group, it was currently quiet time and her and Brad were gonna go behind the bleachers to neck a little.

They returned a little while later, Pauly with a sly smile on her face and Brad blushing madly. This time he was the one who sat down on the bike, because Pauly was talking to her boys about the football game against the rival school from the south side of town.

Since the treaty had been made no more rumbles (fights) between the T-Birds and Scorpions were taking place but football and wrestling were the outlets of war now.

It was natural that Pauly being the leader of the gang was also the high school quarterback, and a quarterback with a very good arm at that. After the group discussion, Pauly turned to look at them and said, “What are you guys doing three weeks from now on Friday.”

“Nothing.”

“So then you’ll come to our football game against the rival school?”

“we’d love to!”

They smiled at each other, completely unaware that everything would change with a football game.