Status: Completed.

The Wonder of You

Plans

“Let’s do this.”

The four teenagers stared at each other, with grins spread across their faces. The other Greasers sat on the benches besides the basketball courts with makeshift signs with lewd sayings and slogans.

Jimmy walked out to the center of the court wearing a black shirt with white tape stuck on there to make it look like a referee’s hat, he held the orange basketball under his arm and said, “Now, I want a good clean game. Remember punching and biting is acceptable, but please don’t kick each other.”

A roar of laughter was heard from the benches; Jimmy kept his face together and blew his whistle letting the basketball bounce.

Emmett stood near the basketball court watching Paula play murder ball with her friends. He couldn’t help but smile at the thought of her being so damn balsy.

There she was with both her legs in casts, recovering broken ribs and she was still putting herself at risk.

Emmett stared as she pushed herself quickly around the court, his unnecessary breathing stopped when she saw Tony and her colliding.

Emmett didn’t even think he ran as fast as any human could and caught her while she was in mid air.

Paula braced herself for the collision her body would soon have with the hard concrete, but the collision never came.

She felt herself be taken into a pair of strong cold arms. Paula immediately recognized whose arms they were; she could recognize his touch anywhere.

“Are you alright,” inquired Emmett.

Paula opened her eyes against her will, and found herself staring into those beautiful golden eyes. She wanted to wrap her hand around his neck and press her lips to his but she controlled those desires.

Instead she bellowed, “BOBBY!”

Bobby came running from the stands; he took Paula from Emmett’s arms and put her in her wheelchair. She smiled and thanked him politely, turning her back on Emmett.

Two weeks soon passed and Paula was in the hospital getting her cast taken off. Paula moved her toes, and laughed when she felt the cool breeze hit her feet.

Six weeks was too long without being able to move her legs, and at that moment all she could think about was going home and shaving her legs.

Paula immersed herself in her physical therapy and in a month she was able to walk on her own again, with a little assistance from a cane whenever she got too tired. That day Paula was walking in from the backyard when her mother called her to sit down on the couch.

“Honey, your grandfathers lawyer came today and he talked to his about grandpa’s will.”

“Is there something wrong with it?”

“No, he left you everything dear.”

“Me?”

“Yes.”

“Well then I’ll have the lawyer transfer all but 10% over to you guys.”

“Paula! Don’t you know how rich your grandpa was?”

“I know, but I don’t want it. You guys take care of me, you guys get the money.”

Paula sat sprawled out on the lawn with Frankie, Tony, and Mickey. They were talking about Tony’s upcoming wedding that would be taking place a couple weeks after their high school graduation.

Paula looked at them and decided that this was the perfect time to tell them about her plans for the future.

“Hey guys.”

“Yeah Paula?”

“I’m gonna be splitting town for awhile.”

“What? Are you still gonna be at my wedding?”

“Calm down Anthony. I wouldn’t miss being at your wedding for the world. I’m gonna head out the day after.”

“Where are you going?”

“I don’t know.”

“How long?”

“I don’t know.”

“Man Paula, you’re crazy.”

“I am, but I need to get out of this town. I need time for myself, to figure out who I am and what I want out of this life. I’ve been through too much, I just need to relax.”

“Do you have any clue as to where you may go?”

“I’m thinking that I’m gonna travel down South, maybe stop in San Diego. Then come back up stop when I hit Canada and come back.”

“You’re just gonna go up and down?”

“Pretty much. I just need to be on the open road. On my bike. God .”

“What do you expect to find on this journey of yours?”

“I expect loneliness, pain, realization, visions, everything; and somewhere along the way I’ll find myself.”

Graduation came and went, and soon Tony’s wedding day arrived. The wedding was an exact representation of Tony’s and Betty’s relationship.

Tony and Betty were loud and fun, so their wedding was over the top and completely 50’s out.

Paula bid them a long and happy marriage and soon left with her family to her house. She took a quick shower and changed into her pajamas, then she went into her parents room and snuggled in with them.

The next morning Paula woke up at 5, she got out of her parents room and took a long shower. She changed into her jeans and put on a white tank and her leather jacket.

She stuffed two pairs of pants, four tanks, and undergarments into her travel bag along with her wallet, gun, and bat. She quickly got her copy of Into the Wild and her Jane Austen novels and stashed it into her bag.

When Paula walked down the stairs she found her mother cooking her breakfast, she sat down and ate with her parents.

She hated making them sad, but she had to get away with everything, she needed the time alone to grieve properly and be able to get on with her life.

After breakfast Paula went into her brothers rooms and kissed them goodbye as they slept. She walked back downstairs and walked out to where her Harley Davidson motorcycle was. She secured her things in the back and walked over to her mother that was sobbing.

“I know you have to go, to clear your mind but don’t take too long I don’t think my heart can bear having you away for so long.”

“Momma don’t cry. I’ll be fine, I’m just gonna go out and find myself. I’ll be okay.”

Her mother and father hugged her closely and did the sign of the cross, blessing her and her journey. Paula grabbed her helmet and put it on, she took one last at her house and turned her motorcycle, her journey was just beginning.