Status: Completed.

The Wonder of You

Endlessly Changing Horizons

Paula collected her few belongings the next morning and bid Suzy farewell. She drove until the day faded into night and pulled into a hotel in San Francisco.

She lay in bed thinking about the words that Suzy had told her, she knew that Suzy was one hundred percent right but she wasn’t ready to go back to Cherryville to face him.

Instead of going back to him, she was going to continue on her journey up and down the coastline.

The new towns, new faces, and new experiences were not going to be enough to extinguish the pain in her heart but they would be enough to distract her for a little bit.

Paula walked through the streets of San Francisco until she ended up in the Haight-Ashbury the hippie Mecca of the 1960’s and for lovers of the 1960’s it is still a place full of the 60’s mystique.

She smiled as she stared at the people in their street, they were all obviously stoned some on mushrooms but they all looked so happy and at peace with the world.

Paula decided that she was going to join in and purchased a mushroom she ate it and was soon transported to a different world.

The colors around her came to life and she felt the music of the drum circle traveling through her veins.

She jumped into the middle of the drum circle and began swaying to the music, her body becoming a vehicle for the music to express herself.

The next morning Paula woke up early she traveled to the city of Berkeley and sat on the campus staring at the college students who walked passed her.

They intrigued her; there they were at a prestigious university they had to be really smart. She wondered if she had what it took to be a student there, but she knew that she wasn’t one for school it didn’t call to her.

She stayed in the bay area for another two days, but she soon grew restless and went on the road again.

She drove until she hit Sequoia national park and stayed there for a week wandering around the forest, picking fruits and sleeping out in the wild.

Once again the surroundings became too familiar and her thoughts wandered back to Emmett. So she did what she always does when a location stops taking her mind off of him, she left. This time Paula didn’t stop driving until she made it to Los Angeles.

She went down to a famous tattoo parlor and had her grandfather and grandmother tattooed on the inside of her right forearm. It took fourteen hours, but it was worth the pain.

After she finished there she went to her hotel room and got pissed drunk to knock out from the pain her arm was in.

Paula awoke the next day at four in the after noon and went out to grab pizza; she came back to the room and fell asleep to save energy for the following day.

Paula was excited when she reached Venice Beach; she had purchased a vintage style bathing suit and was lying out on the Venice Beach taking in the strange diversity of Venice.

The following day Paula went to Olvera Street, it’s a street in Los Angeles that has a beautiful old mission and is very rich in the Mexican culture. She stayed there all day watching a Mariachi play in the plaza and enjoying her favorite food.

During one of the songs an old Mexican man who looked like he was in his late 70’s asked Paula to dance, she of course said yes and swayed to the music as she danced with him.

The people laughed and clapped at the pair, and finally after several songs they parted ways.

After a week in San Diego Paula decided to start making her journey up north. She was on her bike day and night, sometimes she would back track just to be able to stay on the road longer.

She went through Humboldt County to check in on Suzy, but when she arrived she was informed that Suzy had passed and had left her a note.

The note said that Paula was to read it before she spoke to Emmett, so Paula put it away until that day came.

Paula walked over to the cemetery with three large bouquets in her arms. She walked over to Suzy’s tomb and saw that she and her husband shared a tombstone. She put the flowers on the tomb and sat down beside it

“Hey Suzy I guess you’re happy now that you’re with Jack in heaven. You guys are a nice couple, I dig you. I just wanted to say thank you, for helping me get things into perspective. You took me in when I was a stranger to you, and you gave me food and shelter but importantly you gave me love and compassion. I’m gonna miss you, but you’re gonna be proud of me Suzy. It’s time I get back on the road. I love you.”

With that Paula left. She got on her motorcycle and drove until she reached Oregon. This time she didn’t stay in a hotel, instead she found a farm and snuck into the barn falling into a deep sleep in the hay stack.

She got up at four in the morning and made her way back to the road eager to begin the final leg of her journey, the trip to Canada. She pulled into a store in Portland and bought a very well insulated hoodie to help her deal with the cold of the north.

Paula zipped her hoodie up and put her helmet on, today she was driving until she hit Salem. Once in Salem she crashed the exhaustion from moving from town to town and doing everything a town had to offer was beginning to take a toll on her body. She slept for two straight days and awoke feeling like all her batteries had been charged.

She paid for the room and jumped on her bike, she was hitting Port Angeles up and then Seattle and then she would get to Canada and come back. The drive to Port Angeles was a comfortable one; the landscape seemed to only get greener as she got further up north.

Paula’s motorcycle broke down while she was heading past an Indian Reservation. She cursed at her motorcycle and decided that she was going to have to wheel it into the forest and fall asleep there and then go out during the day and try to find a part that was broken.

She went deep into the forest and made a fire. She sat by it with her head against the rock and took out her harmonica, playing her favorite Bob Dylan songs on it. She then stopped and started singing her favorite Jonas Brother’s song, Fly with Me.

Flashback

Emmett stared through Paula’s window watching her dance around in her panties and tank top as she sang along to the Jonas Brother’s.

Emmett could no longer hold in his laughter and he let out one of his very loud musical laughs. The blood drained from Paula’s face when she heard him laugh. Her eyes widened as she said

“EMMETT DON’T TELL ANYONE!”

“Little Ms. Greaser has a soft spot for the Jonas Brothers?”

“Shut up! They sing good.”

“What happened to any music made after 1968 being crap?”

“They are an exception.”

“And why are they an exception?”

“Because Joe Jonas is mad hot.”

“WHAT?!”

“You heard me, that Jonas mmm things I would do to him.”

Emmett looked at Paula wide eyed, he was actually afraid that she would leave him for this pubescent boy. Paula laughed and said

“Calm your ass down. Why would I want him when I have Emmett Cullen. A much finer catch I might add.”

“You’re way hotter than that Camille Belle chick.”

“You follow celebrity gossip? What will I do with you.”

Emmett kissed her lips playfully and placed Paula down on the bed. Paula smiled as he tickled her, finally his face grew serious and it slowly began to inch towards her face, she was mesmerized by his golden eyes.

End Flashback

Paula shook her head and was surprised when she saw a pack of wolves walking towards her. She looked at them, she wasn’t afraid she was in awe, they were beautiful.

She smiled widely and motioned for them to come forward. A russet colored wolf stepped towards her, she smiled and rubbed the wolf behind its ear causing him to give a little howl laugh. She smiled and kissed the top of its head.

Slowly three other wolves stepped towards her; she smiled and also rubbed their heads and tummies. Enjoying the companionship of the wolves.

The russet colored wolf crouched down and let Paula rest her head on him, she fell into a deep sleep and was kept warm by the heat of the wolves that lay beside her.

Paula fell into a peaceful sleep, completely unsuspecting of what would come from having come across these wolves.