Status: Completed.

The Wonder of You

Sunday Evening Drives

Emmett stared at Paula as she rolled around in bed waking up. Paula opened her eyes and found herself staring into Emmett’s beautiful topaz eyes.

“Morning Teddy,” she greeted him in a raspy voice.

He shot her a dazzling smile and responded, “Morning.”

“What time is it,” asked Paula as she sat up on the bed.

“2 in the afternoon,” he replied.

“WHAT! Why didn’t you wake me?”

“You looked too peaceful. Now get up my mom cooked you breakfast.”

“My hairs a fucking mess!”

“Here’s a beanie.”

Paula put the black beanie on and started walking down the stairs. She found the entire Cullen family except for Carlisle sitting in the living room watching a movie. “Good morning.”

“Morning.”

Esme ushered Paula into the kitchen where she sat her down and placed a plate holding three large pancakes, eggs, hash browns, and sausage in front of her.

Paula grabbed Esme’s hand and kissed it saying, “You’re an angel!”

Paula finished eating and washed her cup and plate, even though Esme kept telling her to leave her them be.

Emmett brought down her messenger bag and Paula was about to walk outside when Esme said, “Carlisle said not to do any fighting for a week!”

“Tell him I said a week is too long, I gave him twelve hours all ready.”

Before any of them could say a thing she jumped on her bike and started peddling back to her house. When she arrived at her house her parents and four younger brothers swarmed her.

Her dad hugged her and said, “Sweetheart we heard what happened! You gave it to those damn Scorpions”

“Yeah, but Johnny fucking played dirty messed my face up.”

“You messed him up worse we saw.”

“Well I’m gonna shower then go take care of business with Brad.”

“weren’t you just with him.”

“Nah.”

“Who were you with then?”

“I was with the Cullen’s.”

“Emmett kid?”

“Yeah.”

“I dig him. Way better than that prep Brad!”

“DADDY! Emmet’s a prep too.”

“He looks like a greaser though. Keep him prep though, you know for safety.”

“I know.”

Paula ran upstairs and showered. She put on her eyeliner and eye shadow, and slipped on her tight jeans with a white tank top. She put a bandana in her hair, and grabbed her motorcycle, she was breaking up with Brad today.

Paula stood outside of Brad’s house and threw rocks at his window. He smiled and ran down to meet her, wearing her jacket. He was about to kiss her when she held her hand out.

She ran her comb through her hair and said, “Brad, you’ve been a doll but we’re through.”

“WHAT! I have your jacket though!”

“I told you it don’t mean we’re going steady!”

“I thought you loved me!”

“Don’t make a scene.”

“Why, cuz you need to look like a badass?”

“Just suck it up. You’ll find a broad that you can really love and be with, that ain’t me and you know it.”

“There’s no one out there for me but you! I love you Paula!”

“BRAD! Cool it! You’re acting like a fool. Did I ever tell you I love you?”

“No.”

“In three years I ain’t gone steady with you. You know why? Cuz I don’t love you!”

“but we’ve been together three years! How can you throw that down the drain!”

“Brad! Don’t make me go ape!”

“You’re gonna go ape because I love you? What’s wrong with you! Why weren’t you with me last night after the rumble!”

“I was busy elsewhere!”

“You were with that Emmett kid weren’t you!”

“It doesn’t matter where I’ve been!”

“YOU’RE a WHORE!”

“SHUT YOUR MOUTH!”

Brad shut his mouth immediately, he had never seen Pauly get mad and it was freaking him out. She walked over to him and with her face a mere inch away from his own said, “I didn’t do nothing with him. He wanted to kiss me but I said no, because I still had you as my boyfriend. I came over here to end things on a good note, so we could be friendly to one another, but you don’t want that. So I’m ending it like this. We are through, and if you go around making mean rumors I can stop protecting you cuz the war is on again.”

“It is?”

“Yeah, that’s we rumbled last night. You can try and get revenge and squeal whatever you know to the Scorpions but heed my warnin last time someone squealed the Scorpions took the info and killed them. It’s your call. Now give me jacket, I ain’t gonna stay here all day and fight with you.”

He handed the jacket over, and Paula put it on, she slipped her helmet on and jumped on her bike. When Paula got home she saw all the Greasers in her large backyard, they had practice today.

Her grandfather came out from the house and said, “I heard you messed them Scorpions up good! I’m proud, but that doesn’t mean you can slack off. Right now they’re practicing hard! They want to get revenge and we, we won’t let that happen! Practice hard for one hour; I want fifty minutes of hand to hand combat and ten minutes with your weapons.”

The practice was brutal and at the end of it all the Greasers were bloodied up, and panting. It was tough but they knew they had to do it if they wanted to win and keep the town safe.

Slowly all the guys started leaving and Paula was left out back with her grandpa by herself they were sitting on the steps by her house.

“Grandpa?”

“Yes, Pauly?”

“I have a question. You know how they target the leaders other half?”

“Yes?”

“How can I keep him safe?”

“Brad!? I thought you didn’t care for him.”

“Not him, Emmett.”

“Ah, so you found him.”

“Yeah, right before the big war too. What are the odds! I just don’t wanna see him hurt, he’s so I don’t know he’s perfect for me. He gets me on a higher level. When they almost shot him, I felt like someone was ripping my heart out.”

“That’s the worst feeling sweetie. But you saved him.”

“This time I did.”

“All you can do is be with him, and try your best to keep him safe and you better give it all you got cuz one wrong move and,” her Grandfather stopped at them he sighed heavily and tears came into his eyes he looked at her and said, “your grandma wanted to go to the store to buy a dress. I told her I’ll take you later, once I get back from work but she was afraid that they would run out. So I told her she could go by herself. I’ve never forgiven myself for that. If I had just left work a little early I would’ve saved her. Losing your other half is the worst pain on the planet, you literally die. All I wanted to do when I saw her dead was get revenge and I did, but after that I wanted to put a bullet through the head but I couldn’t I had kids. So I swore I would train the future greasers to make sure it never happened again, so you take care of your boy keep him safe.”

“I will grandpa.”

“Now, don’t tell no one you saw me like this. You know we gotta be tough.”

“I know.”

Paula ran upstairs and showered so she could get ready for mass at 6. Her parents screamed at her to get down or else they would be late for church.

She quickly threw a purple dress on, and did her hair in a girlie manner, putting on he pearls. The family of seven piled into two cars and were soon at their local Catholic Church.

All eyes were on the greasers during mass, the Priest even said a prayer to bless them with the lords protection during their fights. Once mass was over everyone stood outside socializing and talking about what they had done during the week.

Paula stood there in her dress and stared around at the greasers who were in suits. All of their parents always made them look real nice when they went to Church, they said that it showed respect for the lord.

“Emmett you can’t wear that!”

“Why not! I’m just gonna go wait for her outside of church!”

“Emmett you have to go in a suit!”

“A suit? What! It’s just church.”

“Even greasers take their church seriously. They all go in suits now you best get in this suit and let me do your hair!”

Emmett grabbed the suit and slipped it on, then he sat down on the floor so that Alice could do his hair.

“Am I presentable now?”

“Yes, now go.”

Emmett bid everyone farewell and jumped into his Aston Martin. He stopped by a nearby field and picked a couple flowers, tying them with a bit of ribbon.

He pulled into the church parking lot and saw that everyone was standing around chit chatting. He searched the crowd for leather jackets and jeans but found none.

Then he remembered what Alice said, they go dressy. He found a pack of boys standing together in suits, and walked that way.

Emmett’s eyes widened when he saw Paula standing there in a simple purple fifties dress, her hair was down and flowing. Paula looked up when she heard Frankie cough, and right in front of her was Emmett in a suit.

She smiled and said, “You look good Teddy.”

Emmett didn’t know what to say, his brain stopped working so he smiled and held out the flowers he had picked. Paula giggled and took the flowers closing her eyes as she smiled.

Emmett finally got his thoughts straight and said, “I wanted to ask you if you wanted to grab some dinner with me.”

“It’s Sunday, it’s family dinner night but you’re more than welcome to join us.”

“really?”

“Yeah, afterwards we could go for a drive if you like.”

“I would.”

“come on then, I gotta introduce you to my parents.” She stopped and looked back at the guys and said, “Later alligators.”

“In awhile crocodile.”

Paula’s parents smiled when they saw Paula and Emmett walking over to them. For a cat that had lived his whole life in the modern world, he cleaned up really well as a prep.

“Ma, Dad. This here’s Emmett, he will be joining us for dinner.”

“That’s just lovely. Hello Emmett, we’ve heard all about you. Marie here never stops.”

“Ma!”

“Marie? She talks about me; I hope its all good.”

“Oh it is dear and she didn’t tell you Marie’s here middle name. I like it better than Pauly but she needed a boyish name for the gang.”

“Dad tell her to stop.”

“Mother’s job is to embarrass you, sorry kid-o.”

“we’re gonna go for a drive we’ll see you in an hour for dinner.”

“Alright be safe.”

Paula jumped into Emmett’s car and they were soon driving to a field by the small town. Emmett put the car into park and sat so he faced Paula, “I’m gonna call you Marie.”

“It’s an ugly name.”

“I think it’s beautiful.”

“Fine you can call me Marie!”

“Marie?”

“Yes Teddy?”

“Why didn’t you introduce me as your boyfriend?”

“Cuz you ain’t my boyfriend. Last time I checked you haven’t asked me yet.”

“Do I really gotta ask you to be my girl? You have my heart, and I have yours. What is asking except a formality?”

“True, but you still gotta do it.”

“Marie?”

“Yes.”

“Wanna be my giiiiiiiirrrrrlllllfriend?”

Paula started laughing, Emmett couldn’t hold his own laugh and they were both laughing uncontrollably. She smiled and said, “How can I say no to that?”

Emmett stopped breathing he was going to kiss her and had to control his breathing in order to make sure that he didn’t hurt her.

Slowly he made his way over to her seat, his face slowly moved in on hers, and softly he pressed his lips on top of hers. The kiss didn’t last more than three seconds, but it sent a fire through both of their beings.