Status: Completed.

The Wonder of You

Can't You See that I am Not Afraid?

“A what, what?”

“A vampire.”

“Vampire,” she questioned as she bit down on her bottom lip, “Nice. I must say it’s a little more tame than my superman idea.”

Emmett stared at Paula in shock. He had just told her that he was a vampire and there she was straddling his lap, and saying that him being a vampire was more normal than her own personal theory.

“Aren’t you gonna freak out? Scream? Say omg! You’re a vampire you’re gonna suck my fucking blood.”

“You won’t,” she responded calmly.

“What,” he asked in disbelief.

“I said you won’t. If you wanted to suck my fucking blood you would’ve done that a long time ago.”

“Don’t be so sure about that?”

“And why is that?”

“Because your blood sings to me.”

“Like it sings you a song? What kind of song does it sing?”

“No silly what I mean is your blood is the most delicious blood I have ever smelled. It makes me crazy, that’s why I’m always pulling away from kisses because I don’t want to lose control.”

“So it smells good?”

“Really good.”

“What’s it smell like?”

“Like Jack Daniels whiskey on a hot Tennessee summer night.”

“That sounds really good.”

“Oh it is.”

“Now tell me, how old are you?”

“20.”

“I knew you weren’t really 17! You know I’m jail bait right?”

Emmett laughed and kissed her cheek lovingly when she said that.

“You think it’s bad now. Ask me how old I seriously am.”

“How old? Don’t tell me I’m messing around with a senior citizen.”

“I’m 95 years old.”

“I give a new meaning to loving our senior citizens.”

“You are a strange little human.”

“You’re a strange vampire.”

“That I am.”

“So is everyone a vampire?”

“Yeah.”

Paula sat on Emmett’s lap staring out into the starry sky. She couldn’t believe that her dearest Emmett was a vampire; she knew that she was supposed to be upset and freak out, but she didn’t feel like doing any of that. As crazy as it sounds, she feels completely safe in his arms.

Emmett was worried about the lack of talking coming from Paula. Usually he couldn’t shut her up, and right now she wasn’t saying a word. He rubbed her cheek softly and said, “You’re afraid aren’t you.”

Paula scoffed and pressed her forehead to his as she said, “Can’t you see that I am not afraid?”

“You were really quiet though. And you, my dear, are never quiet.”

“Well I was thinking?”

“You think? What is the world coming too!”

“Ha-ha, wise guy. I do think.”

“What were you thinking of?”

“How much I love you. There you happy?”

“Very.”

“I better get you home. So you can sleep.”

“I don’t sleep.”

“What do ya mean ya don’t sleep? That one time everyone went up to their rooms to sleep and you slept!”

“No, you slept. You’re actually a really deep sleeper.”

“So what did you do while I slept?”

“Stared at you.”

“Wasn’t it boring?”

“Nope, it’s my favorite past time.”

“You do this often?”

“Every night.”

“You don’t get bored?”

“I could never grow bored at staring at your beautiful face.”

“I love you Teddy.”

“I love you too Marie, but we gotta get you home your parents are expecting you.”

“They’re not.”

“What?”

“You’re not expected home after you ask someone to go steady. You’re not expected to sleep with them, if that’s what you’re thinking but usually the pair stays up all night chatting. Ya know?”

“I dig.”

When Emmett said I dig something clicked within Paula’s head and she began shouting, “Look at you! OMG! OMG!”

“What happened!?”

“They can’t hurt you! The fucking scorpions can’t hurt you, you’re immortal!”

Paula wrapped her arms around his neck tightly; loosening her grip she began kissing his face all over. He can’t die! They can’t kill him, it was like Christmas!

“You can continue kissing me, when we get home.”

“Are you gonna tell them I know?”

“Don’t have too.”

“Why not?”

“Alice knows.”

“How does she know? Did you tell her?”

“Nope, she had a vision.”

“A vision?”

“Yeah, she can see the future.”

“Nice, anyone else got powers like that?”

“Jasper can manipulate emotions, Edward reads minds, and Bella is a shield.”

“A shield?”

“Yeah.”

“Sweet.”

Paula moved back to the drivers seat and drove back to Emmett’s house. They parked in the driveway and weren’t even on the porch when the door burst open and Alice ran out picking Paula up and twirling her.

“Tinkerbelle! Slow down!”

“I’m just so happy! You know now! There are no more secrets in this house! I’m so happy; we are going to be the very best sisters! I love you so much Pauly!”

“Thanks Tinkerbelle. I love you too.”

Jasper walked out of the house smiling and hugged Paula; she was his dearest friend and he was glad that now this secret was out in the open

“I’m glad you know now, now I can tell you about how accurate your nickname is?”

“Fucking shit! Were you a major?”

“Yes ma’m.”

“Let me guess! Civil War! Confederate!”

“You are just too good Pauly!”

“Thank you Major. You think we could discuss war plans? I mean I know it’s different, but I would love to know old techniques.”

“Really? You want me to teach you?”

“I’d be honored if you did!”

“Then I will.”

“Come in Paula! Everyone wants to see you.”

“Why? They seen me before.”

“I know, but now you know! We’re gonna tell stories!”

Paula walked into the house and was sat down on the couch with a large bowl of Spaghetti that Emmett prepared for her.

Then one by one each member of the family started telling their story, she was riveted by all of the stories and felt like a child being told many fairy tales. It was two in the morning when she stifled a yawn and Emmett threw a fit about her sleeping.

“I don’t need to sleep!”

“Yes you do!”

“I’m chatting right now.”

“You can chat tomorrow morning!”

“darling you worry to much.”

The Cullen’s laughed loudly when Paula said that Emmett worried to much. Emmett told them all to shut up but they couldn’t. Paula looked over at them and said

“Why’s it funny? This boy’s always worrying.”

“Well usually he doesn’t worry about anything.”

“really? Emmett why you always telling me things are dangerous!”

“Because I worry!”

“He only worries about you.”

“Awe, is Teddy soft for me.”

“Not soft, quite hard.”

Edward fake gagged at that comment, Emmett had a cheeky smile on his face and Paula blushed slightly and said, “Well I do believe we must go to sleep now. Goodnight all.”

Emmett scooped her off her feet and ran up the stairs with her placing her softly on the bed.
She laughed and said, “Get me a shirt and some boxers.”

“Here.”

“Get the zipper for me.”

Emmett unzipped the zipper and was about to leave to give her privacy but Paula was already naked and slipping the boxers on along with the shirt. She climbed onto the bed and Emmett was about to get in with her fully dressed but she shook her said saying

“There is a strict pajama policy. So change.”

“I don’t have pajamas!”

“Boxers and a shirt?”

“You just want to see me nakey.”

“Is that a crime?”

“No.”

“Then do it.”

He took off his pants leaving himself in his boxers and white undershirt. He climbed under the covers alongside Paula.

She snuggled closer to him resting her head on his chest, his arm snaked around her waist and soon she was out.

Emmett was in heaven that night, but although he was holding the love of his existence in his arms all he could do was think about how he would break the news to Rosalie.