Status: Completed.

The Wonder of You

Drag Races

The next morning Paula awoke feeling very relaxed and very cold. She tried to roll over, but found herself in a pair of very strong arms. She rubbed her hair out of her face, and looked up and found Emmett’s warm smile awaiting her.

“Good morning.”

“Morning.”

“How’d you sleep?”

“I don’t remember?”

“Oh yeah. I slept well. Very well.”

“I know, I kept hearing mmm Emmett!”

“Shut up!”

“Make me.”

Paula rolled over so she was straddling Emmett. She sat on his lap rubbing her hands underneath his shirt, his cold flesh sending shocks throughout her warm body.

She nipped at his neck gently, as her hands ran through his hair. Emmett couldn’t take her being on top any longer, and he flipped her so she was underneath him.

He latched his lips onto hers, and gave her a soft kiss. She nibbled on his lower lip until he finally opened her mouth allowing her tongue to enter his.

They went at it for ten seconds until Emmett pulled away throwing himself against the wall. He looked at her, breathing heavily and said, “I was stronger than I thought.”

“That’s good! We should see how long you can last.”

“No, this is enough for now. Get dressed, I’m gonna make you breakfast.”

“alright.”

Emmett left the room and went downstairs. He took out the pancake mix, eggs, oil and other things to cook her breakfast. He had never cooked breakfast in all his life, but was determined on making her a delicious meal.

Esme and Carlisle walked to the kitchen when they heard loud noises coming from it. They half expected to see a bear in their kitchen, but found Emmett covered in pancake batter, cursing like a madman.

Carlisle held Esme close and said, “Our little boy’s all grown up.”

“It was about time.”

“Emmett do you need help?”

“No thank you. I’m gonna tough it out, I mean she’ll eat it no matter what as long as I try.”

Paula walked downstairs and found Emmett in the kitchen setting down a plate of pancakes. She smiled and hugged him, licking the side of his face getting pancake mix off of him.

He laughed heartily and hugged her tight, “Why’d you do that?”

“You had pancakes on the side of your face. I had to clean you up.”

“Licking me?”

“Some people think it’s sexy.”

“Yeah when you’re licking a . . .”

“EMMETT DON’T FINISH THAT THOUGHT!”

Emmett looked at the doorway and saw a flustered Edward staring back at him. Paula looked at him and said, “Cool it Edward. To much for your ears to handle?”

“That’s lewd talk.”

“Nah, I think it’s sexy Emmett.”

“Hear that Edward she thinks it’s sexy. Now go on you prude and do your business with the Mrs.”

“We do not fornicate.”

Paula began laughing hard and said, “So then what do you do at night? You sure as fuck don’t sleep!”

“You’re just as bad as Emmett!”

“That’s why I’m with her!”

Edward and Bella stormed out of the house, leaving Paula and Emmett by herself. She finished her breakfast rather quickly, and the pair went outside.

Paula was sitting on the hood of her car, and Emmett was standing in between her legs, his head on her chest and arms wrapped around her waist. Paula ran her fingers through her hair and softly sang Elvis Presley’s, The Wonder of You, too Emmett.

“That’s our song.”

“Yeah.”

“Hey Marie I uh finished my mirror warmer. Here.”

Emmett pulled out a neatly folded coral silk handkerchief. Paula took it and smelled it, it smelled just like Emmett’s cologne. She unfolded it and found his initials on the bottom right corner.

“I know coral ain’t a color you think of when you see me, but it’s original no one else had coral and it’s different like me.”

“I love it. Would you put it on the rear view mirror by my door? Make sure it’s real tight.”

Emmett walked over and tied it very securely on the mirror. He walked away and wrapped his arms around her kissing her on the forehead and saying, “we’re going steady now.”

“Yes we are. Now I gotta ask you, wanna go to the drag race with me tonight?”

“Marie that’s dangerous.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be alright.”

“What if something happens to you?”

“It won’t. Now are you coming or not?”

“I’m coming.”

Paula sped to her house and told her family all the details from the night, of course excluding the bit about them being vampires, and told them she had to go get ready because there was a drag race going on tonight and she was going to be up against Johnny two face, the head of the Scorpion gang.

Paula ran out of the shower and dried her hair, she slipped on her tight jeans and a black button up shirt and tied her converse all stars. She did her make up quickly and was about to do her hair when she heard a knock at the door

“Grandpa?”

“I need to give you something.”

“What is it?”

“Your grandmothers favorite bandana. Wear it proudly and beat Johnny two face at the race.”

“Thank you grandpa I will.”

“Get over here so I can give you the blessing.”

Her grandfather did the sign of the cross and Paula went and put on the beautiful lavender bandana on her head.

She slipped her pocketknife into her back pocket along with her comb. Paula grabbed her keys and her baseball bat. Her parents quickly gave her their blessing and she was on her way to the Cullen household.

When she pulled up Alice, Jasper, Edward and Bella were in their car and Emmett was waiting for her. She got out and jumped on him, planting a soft kiss on his lips.

He set her down slowly and opened the door for her, then he slid in beside her. They drove for thirty minutes until they were on a deserted road.

The sides of the road were packed with cars, on one side were the T-Birds and on the other the Scorpions. The tension was thick enough to cut with a knife. Paula parked in her spot, and motioned for the Cullen’s to park beside her.

She looked over to them and said, “If anything goes down tonight. I want you guys to leave.”

“We can’t leave you here.”

“Emmett you will leave me here. This is my gang and I am the leader so it is my duty to stand and fight. So if shit hits the fan you’re gonna jam, because there will be blood and I don’t want any of yous getting discovered. Now don’t bitch and kiss me, I got a race to win.”

Emmett placed a passionate kiss on her lips and she pulled apart when she heard her boys screaming at her. She got in her car and put it back on the road.

Paula slammed her door and walked over to shake hands with Johnny two face. The pair glared at each other, this wasn’t just a drag race this was a battle in the war.

The Scorpions were acting like pansies; they were avoiding all hand to hand confrontations so they were having competitions such as drag racing take place of the battles.

Pauly and the T-Birds weren’t too happy about this, but they figured that it was better than having the Scorpions going around raping, beating and killing people.

“Pauly.”

“Johnny.”

“Who’s signaling?”

“Frankie’s girl.”

“Who’s doing the end flags.”

“You’re chick.”

“Don’t try and run her over!”

“I’m not. I ain’t a scorpion.”

They shook hands and climbed into their cars. Pauly kissed her rosary and put her hands on the wheel, she was going to win tonight.

They turned the cars on and started revving their engines warming up for the half a mile race. Pauly reminded herself that Emmett was on the end side and the quicker she got over there the faster she got to be in his arms.

Ally, Frankie’s girl, walked in between the two cars, she lifted her hands in the air and counted to three before she dropped the scarf.

“This is for you grandma.”

Pauly hit the gass like never before, Johnny and her were neck in neck but she refused to let him call this a narrow victory.

Johnny saw that Pauly was going to pass him, so he swerved his car to hit hers. Pauly was fortunate that she had an iron grip on her steering wheel or else there could’ve been problems. She straightened out her car and still managed to beat Johnny by a considerable amount.

Paula breathed heavily as she rested her head against the head rest. This had been a close one, if she hadn’t been paying close attention she could have been dead.

Johnny cursed as he came in after Paula. She was always beating him at everything! She had beaten him up on the football field, at the first rumble, at the wrestling match, and now at this drag race.

He was fuming when he got out of his car, and was only thinking about making her suffer. He walked over to Paula’s car and yanked her out of her seat.

Emmett let out a sigh of relief when he saw Paula make it in one piece and win the drag race, but his relief didn’t last long because not too long after Johnny’s car appeared, Johnny was yanking Paula out of her seat.

Emmett’s muscles contracted and he was about to pounce, but all four of his siblings held him back remembering what Paula asked them to do. He refused to leave, but swore that he would not attack, this was her world and he had to respect that.

Paula was thrown on the floor by Johnny who was wielding a bat. Paula felt the smooth metal collide with her bat, and she swore mentally. She let him take two more swings before she knocked him down.

The greasers on both gangs watched the fight unfolding before them attentively, both gangs wanted to jump in and help out but they knew it was against protocol.

When the two leaders of the gangs fought, no one else was allowed to fight, it was kind of like watching the two best boxers fight you wanted to learn from their moves.

Johnny fell face first on the first, taking a big hit. Pauly stood up and walked over to her car fuming, she took out her baseball bat and yelled, “Get up you fucking JOKE! You don’t want to fight now that the odds are EVEN! GET UP! YOU’RE A FUCKING EXCUSE FOR A GREASER!”

At that Johnny jumped on his feet, he picked up his baseball bat and Pauly and he began to circle. He lunged forward toward Pauly thinking he would catch her off guard, but Pauly was prepared for that.

She kicked him in the chest and sent him flying. She was crazed and began striking him over and over again. After seven strong hits she stopped, she looked down at the mess she had made. He was completely bloody and bruising was sure to occur.

Pauly held her bat loosely and said, “You Scorpions gonna leave him there! Pick his ass up and take him to the doctor, but before they take you Johnny remember this. There is a code to war. You don’t just start a fucking fight cuz you feel like it! You send a notice of rumble. Next time you pull a stunt like this, I don’t know if I’ll be able to stop.”

The Scorpions were terrified by Paula, she was a true greaser who lived her life by the code and they knew that Johnny deserved to be killed for breaking the rules of engagement but she was kind and spared his life. The scorpions put Johnny in his car and Johnny’s girl drove Johnny to the hospital.

The Cullen’s were shocked by Paula’s behavior. They knew she was a greaser, they knew she fought, but they never imagined that she got so brutal. She could have killed Johnny had she felt like it.

The T-Birds surrounded Paula who was a bit beaten up, she told them to go home and enjoy their night because tomorrow at noon they would have practice.

All of them raced away in their cars, and Paula made her way slowly to where the Cullen’s sat, her back was killing her.

“Marie are you alright!”

Marie was about to tell him to get off but his cold things were exactly what her sore back needed.

“Keep your hands on my back it’s taking the pain away.”

“Ok.”

“Don’t worry Emmett. I hate seeing you scared. I’m alright, I can fight and take care of myself. You worry about staying beautiful and charming for me. Alright?”

“All right.”

“There we go, there’s that smile I like so much. Now can you please take me home.”

“You don’t want to go to my place.”

“You can spend the night, my parent’s won’t mind and I really need my grandpa to fuss over me right now.”

“Alright.”

Paula said goodbye to Alice, Jasper, Edward and Bella and climbed into the car. Emmett walked over to them his mind focused on one thing her weak figure.

Edward smiled and said, “Emmett don’t worry she’s not Bella, she’s nothing like Bella. Paula can take care of herself, she’ll be alright now go before she gets mad.”

“Edward how could you bear the constant torment of worrying?”

“Because when you really love someone, the pain is a small price to pay.”