What Has Become Of Me?

Pack Run

A mattress had been pulled out and placed up against the couch in front of the TV set. Seb carries his ice cream off and I plonk down on the mattress. My eye brows are still scrunched together as I am deep in thought.
“You okay?” Brian asks sitting down beside me.
I nod and give him a half smile but my mind still couldn’t get off that strange guy.
“Yeah,” I respond.
A glance at the black and white clock hanging on the wall tells me it is only 8pm.
“What’s the plan?” I ask.
“Well normally we go out for a run but we can put another movie on if you like” Jett offers.
I scrunch my nose up both in confusion over the run part and disagreement with the movie part.
“What do you mean, go for a run?” I ask looking for an explanation.
“A chance to let down our fur and chase down some game” Chase explains with a grin, “not sure if that would be you’re scene though.”
I roll my eyes already liking the idea of this ‘run’.
“Let’s go” I say standing up.
Everyone looks to Nathan who has a small smile on his face.
“Sure” Nathan says and we all head for the cars.
The ride out was full of mindless conversation and jokes from the guys. I notice us leaving the town and heading for the expanse of trees I had first wandered as a wolf. We all hop out of our cars and I take in the place. Jett had driven us down to park beside the cabin owned by the wolves and Nathan pulls up beside us just as I close my door.
Dom hops out of Nathan’s car and walks up to me.
“You sure about this?” he asks.
I don’t see what the big deal is. With a shrug I return my attention to the trees. Something seems off, not quite wrong just… off.
“Annie” Seb calls waving a hand in front of my face.
“Yeah?” I respond being snapped from my thoughts.
“We’re going to start the pack run, you don’t have to do this if you don’t want” Seb says, his tone sounding the most adult I’ve heard him yet.
“What’s the big deal?” I ask.
“Nothing, you’ll do fine” Chase tells me quickly with a clap on the shoulder.
Nathan gives me a look before nodding.

Suddenly all the guys start stripping off.
“Woah!” I say spinning around.
They all laugh at me and I hunch my shoulders over.
“I’m going to be civilised and change in the cabin” I say with a huff before walking off.
I feel more then hear the changes occurring behind me. Power ripples through the air and my wolf perks her ears up. A shiver runs down my body and my wolf tries to turn me around so my back isn’t facing the guys. I grab the handle to the cabin but it is of course locked. With a sigh, I turn back to face the massive wolves sat watching me.
“Key?” I ask.
Heads turn to look at one another but no one steps forward to show me they have it in their clothes. Finally they shrug their broad animals’ shoulders. It is frightening to see a creature display such human-like activity.
“You didn’t forget it, did you?” I ask really hoping they were just joking.
A series of bark like noises escape from Brian and Chase, it almost sounds like laughter.
“You’re kidding!” I yell stomping my foot.
They shake their heads.
“Fine,” I say with a sigh, “Wait here and don’t you dare try to take a peek.”

I storm around to the other side of the cabin. Night air rolls over my skin as I strip off my clothing. Once I’ve stuffed my underwear inside my clothing and placed it close to the side of the cabin, I start the change. My wolf doesn’t take long to step forward. Ripples spread throughout my body, both through nerves and over my skin. Everything changes. Bones snap and morph. Finally I sit on my hind legs panting. Changing is a bit hard. Finally I remerge from behind the cabin and the guys are all waiting.
Nathan flicks his head, motioning everyone to follow then we set off.

I draw in deep breaths as the wind ruffles through my fur. My body stretches with each stride. Two hind paws propel me forward as my nails dig into the soil, my front paws stretch out as far as I can before the rest of my body follows. It doesn’t take long for the pack to fall into order of speed. I dart up beside Nathan and my heart pumps blood around my body quicker. My eyes sparkle with joy as I run. Everything is so alive. The rest of the pack begins to fall behind as I start to accelerate. Nathan’s eyes grin for him as exposing your teeth for wolves isn’t a sign of happy feelings but rather challenging the one you are directing it at. We match stride for stride. Suddenly a scent catches my nose and stumble mid-stride. The rest of the pack is quick to catch up as I dig my claws in. I slide to a halt and Nathan carries on for a few meters before coming back to me. Ignoring the others, I take deep breaths. My nose hovers above the ground as I inhale. That scent causes the hairs along my back to stand to attention. A growl threatens to rumble through my chest but I don’t understand it. I shake my head trying to rid myself of the feelings.

Nathan tilts his head to the side in question as he studies me. They seriously can’t smell it? The scent sticks out like a sore thumb. These guys must be hard of smelling. I jerk my head in the direction the scent runs but they look at me like I’m insane. After a moment’s deliberation I decide I want to track down the owner to this mysteriously familiar scent.

I leap over long grass and follow the scent. My ears pick up the quiet sound of the guys following. Nathan makes a noise behind me but I’m engrossed in tracking down this scent. Dom would be better at this, he is the tracker after all. Suddenly Nathan darts out in front of me. He had been so silent I hadn’t heard him overtaking me until he stood in my path. His eyes meet mine and I hold his gaze, neither of us blinking. In his eyes I see he is now in wolf mode, his alpha locking gaze with my wolf. It’s a battle of power. Whoever looks away shows submission. Stubbornness forces me to return his gaze. Power rolls off him in waves but I’m unaffected. The others around me step back showing they can feel that power and can’t fight it. A growl bubbles up in my chest and I cut the noise off once I realize I am the one making it. I blink. The action cuts our staring contest but it hasn’t been settled. I didn’t show my submission so the alpha within Nathan is obviously still edgy. Until I submit, there will be no way of being completely comfortable around each other.

Nathan studies me for a moment and the pack seem to go so still they don’t even seem to breathe. He makes a noise deep in his throat that shows a command has been made then strides off in the opposite direction to the scent I was following. Why can’t I place that scent?

The pack follows Nathan and I fall into line finally with a low, disgruntled grumble. We start to relax as our speed picks up again. I make an effort to not surpass Nathan’s speed but instead just stay on his heels. He leads us through twisting paths. My ears pick up the sound before I see it. The sound of rushing water is accompanied by the smell of it. Seb howls out happily when he hears it and increases his speed. Over the hill we come to a stop at the top of a magnificent waterfall. Brian changes first and I avert my eyes. He grins at me before leaping out off the ledge and into the clear pool below. His landing is a loud splash but the guys don’t wait for it before they start to change as well. Nathan is the last left up on the ledge with me as Jett dives in last. I’m the only one left in my wolf form.
“You realize you won’t have much privacy after the full moon, right?” Nathan asks.
I nod my head.
“Let go of your modesty, we’re all friends here.”
Easy for you to say.
“Besides, we’re in the middle of the woods miles from humans.”
What about that other scent I caught, it definitely wasn’t just human. Then it clicks. Werewolf! My instincts scream it at me and my hairs rise on end.
“Anika, what’s gotten into you?” Nathan asks seriously, “Back there, I didn’t mean to become so dominate but I sensed your uneasiness and immediately that equates to my wolf as threat to the pack.”
I nod my head showing I understood.
“Come for a swim” he says before diving off.

My paws cautiously carry me towards the edge and I peek down. The height makes me rather anxious. Sure I am a werewolf and should have nothing to fear, infact heights have never effected me before but saying that I should also mention I’ve never considered jumping from said heights.
“Chicken!” Brian’s voice echoes.
I scowl before deciding I’d show them I’m just as brave. As quickly as I can, I change back to my human form. With some deep breaths I finally convince myself I can do this. I take a small run up and leap out over the ledge. The fall is incredible. Weightless grace is all I can describe it as. The water surface is hard but I fall beneath it feeling invigorated by the refreshing cool water. I swim up and break the surface with a gasp for air. A smile spreads across my face and the guys grin at me.
“Not chicken at all” I tell them with a smirk.
The darkness keeps my body hidden as long as it stays beneath the water and I’m relieved by this. This pack run is turning out to be more fun then I anticipated.

Suddenly to hands clamp onto my shoulders and push me down. I gasp before I’m plunged under the surface. Struggling up, the hands release me. I surface with a deep breath before spinning around on the laughter behind me.
“Hey!” I choke out.
Brian grins at me.
“Oh it is on!” I yell as I launch at him.
Splash fights break out and I push Brian down under the water. With a giggle I quickly dart beneath the water and swim for the rushing water. Out of breath I surface and find myself the other side of the waterfall.
“Oh darling Anika” Brian calls out in menacing way.
I grin hoping I’ve tricked him and he’s not just messing with me. Chase gasps for breath suddenly in front of me. I leap backwards but wince as my hip smashes against a rock hard enough to leave a bruise; at least the continual water has made it smooth.

“Found ya” Chase grins at me.
I laugh then notice I’m trapped against the rocks and he’s still advancing.
“What are you doing?” I ask looking for escape.
“Well” Chase takes long pauses between words as he continues to get closer “You see… a little… birdie… told me…”
Before he finishes he leaps forward and attacks my bare stomach tickling me.
“You’re ticklish!” he yells back triumphantly.
If I wasn’t laughing so hard this could be extremely embarrassing and quite wrong.
“Hey!” Brian yells splashing through the screen of water forever falling.
Chase spins around to face him giving me a chance to breathe. He gasps at Brian.
“My arch nemesis, we meet again” Chase says in a thoughtful tone and he moves back so that he is pinning me in place against the rock.
“Unhand the girl!” Brian demands striking a heroic pose.
“Never!” Chase yells before grabbing me and slinging me over his shoulder.
“Chase!” I shriek only too aware of my naked form, “Put me down this instant.”

Guiltily Chase lets me slip into the water. I take the opportunity to dart out of the small cove behind the screen of water and return to the other guys.
“She lives?” Seb questions amazed.
“Just” I reply taking a breather.
Arms splash out momentarily from the waterfall but the noises are drowned out.
“Do I even want to know what they are doing?” I ask with my finger directed towards the waterfall and an eyebrow raised.
Dom shakes his head.
“It would be best if you didn’t” he says with a cheeky grin.
My wolf is growing more and more restless despite how relaxing it is to stay in the cool water gently flowing further down a stream. I huff and look around trying to discern what exactly has my wolf so on edge.
“Are you alright?” Nathan asks noticing as I continue to fidget.
“Just feel like a bit more of a run” I reply shrugging.
“Come on then” he says starting to swim for the edge.

As I rest at the edge I wonder how I can get out and still keep the guys from seeing me. Resting both arms I start my change. Once I am completely in my wolf form, I hoist myself up next to Nathan’s massive wolf. He motions his head for me to follow and I set off after him. We battle for the lead in our small, unannounced race. That same feeling of restlessness doesn’t leave though, it becomes stronger. I pick up my pace, hoping that if I just release more energy this feeling will disappear. Without thinking, I weave through the trees and jump over obstacles. Nathan pushes himself harder but his power as Alpha allows him to stay on par with my hybrid power. A burst of that same scent hits my nose and skid to a halt. It’s strong here; obviously whoever it is has stayed here for a while before moving on. Nathan darts back to my side after running on ahead a few paces after my sudden halt. His intelligent wolf eyes search my form for body language as clues to what is wrong. I take a deep breath and he follows suit. Still no reaction from him; it’s infuriating. A huff slips from me as I do my best to scowl in wolf form.

Suddenly Nathan uses his big wolf tongue to lick my nose. I shake my head once sharply and step back. Whilst to my human side the gesture is strange my wolf compares the gesture to be the same as a human hugging another. Nathan’s eyes smile for him and I feel that presence in my head again.

“You need to relax, I think it’s about time you try your first hunt.”

Nathan’s voice echoes in my head. Am I really ready to hunt with the pack for the first time? Nathan tips his head back and a commanding howl bursts forth. He carries the howl on for nearly a minute before he finally lets it die out. The thumping of paws headed our way, alerts us to the rest of the pack’s approach. We all stand around our alpha. All the guys are eager and their tails swish side to side.

“You know the drill boys, there should be at least a deer straggling about these parts.

That’s all is said before we follow after Nathan. Our senses on high alert. I hang back just wanting to watch for now. We move at a quick pace but not a run. Nathan freezes and we all catch the scent. My wolf is radiating excitement throughout my being. We all slow our movements to become silent. Brian moves to Nathan’s right, crouching down as we sit downwind from the stag and two does that are our target. Dom moves directly behind Nathan. Instinctively my wolf brings me to the gap to Nathan’s left. Nathan is half a step ahead of Brian and I. Chase, Seb and Jett move around to find a different point to target still staying downwind. The anticipation has me almost jumping from foot to foot. Nathan bursts forth from our position and I launch after him. We move as a perfect team. Chase, Seb and Jett target one of the does but our alpha won’t settle for anything less than the stag. The animals scare and pure animal instinct pulses through me. I leap just ahead of Nathan. My muscles tense and unclench as I sail from the ground into the stag’s shoulder. Caught off balance, it falls to the ground struggling as my teeth find purchase on the back of it’s neck. My eyes widen as it’s massive rack of antlers swing at me ready to drive through my skull. I’ve made a big mistake. It’s movement is cut off when Nathan’s massive wolf form clenches around it’s windpipe and crunches down. My human cringes and scolds me for being so careless whilst my wolf reacts as a human would to some sort of flirting. The reactions are so contradicting. Only now do I notice Brian had also helped by sinking his teeth into the stag but my attention was hardly on him during the sudden fight.

Instinct still rules me which forces me to release the kill just as Brian does. We step back and watch Nathan. Chase, Jett and Seb step back from their doe as they watch Nathan too. My wolf reasons that it is purely pack etiquette to allow the alpha to eat the best parts before intruding with the hopes of eating too. We wait as Nathan rips open the stomach and pick at it. Brian is the first to approach. His head bowed low and whimpering. Nathan glances at him but makes no move to stop him. Brian rips at the tough hide of the stag’s hind leg. My wolf follows Brian’s example and Nathan actually moves aside to share the stomach. My human side is cringing so badly but my wolf is feeling really pleased. Now Seb, Jett and Chase dig into their catch.

We all finish at relatively the same time. My muzzle is covered in blood but I feel content. I run my tongue over my muzzle to clean it then sleepily lay down on the grass near the kill. A yawn erupts and I stretch out. The rest of the pack drop to the ground around me each looking as calm as I feel. It’s such an amazing feeling letting my true self let loose instead of sticking to purely human ways. My eyes fall half hooded and Nathan gets to his feet.

“Come on you lot, let’s get back to the house.”

Liking to idea of collapsing back into a bed, I haul myself to my feet. We trot back together at a slower pace than our race into the woods. Getting lost as a wolf is impossible, in fact the only creature on Earth capable of getting lost are humans. It’s comforting to know exactly where you are, no disorientating experiences of losing direction. The guys clothes are still lying in the same scrunched up states they left them. As they change back to human forms I head around to behind the cabin to do the same. With each inhale the scent of blood lingers. I catch a faint whiff of a scent that gets a rise out of my wolf but I’m too happy to care. Doing just as Nathan had told me, I envision my form changing back to human. It’s a struggle, but I make it. I pull on my underwear then my shorts. Only as I reach for my shirt do I make a revelation, my shirt is gone. Vanished!
“Boys” I growl out crossing my arms over my chest.
I storm back around to the rest of the pack.
“Hand it over” I demand as they all stare at me.
“What?” Brian asks.
“My shirt!” I respond.
They all look at each other shaking their heads. I growl frustrated. Taking in a deep breath to prepare myself to explode at them, I catch that scent again. My eyes narrow. It’s that other werewolf. The one I’ve been smelling all evening. My eyes dart around the trees surrounding us.
“Come out! You sick pervert!” I yell at the tree line.

Using my nose I track the scent at it’s freshest. Only a few metres in from the clearing our cabin resides in, a tree catches my sight. The boys are calling after me but I pay no heed. Hung over a low branch is my shirt, which I quickly pull over my head but scratched into the trunk is a message obviously from the werewolf who stole my clothing.

“Just for shits and giggles” I murmur as I read it.
“You have got to be joking!” I yell at the trees knowing they must be sitting somewhere watching me.
I ball up my fists then stomp back to the boys. Chase opens his mouth to say something but I glare at him thus shutting him up. We return back to the vehicles in silence. Once we hit the road again someone finally talks.

“You okay?” Seb asks.
“Yeah” I sigh finally relaxing my tense muscles.
What a shame, I had been in such a great mood. I sink into the chair and the atmosphere relaxes as we near Brian’s house again. That werewolf smells so familiar. The scent lingers on my shirt. Finally it clicks, the scent is identical to the werewolf I met just hours before. He is seemingly non-existent to the rest of the pack, except me. Probably why he is messing with me but why bother?

As we get inside we find out it is three in the morning and no one wants to do anything. We turn in for the night. I take the couch to stop any arguments like who would be sharing the mattress with me. As we all settle down in the pitch black, Seb begins to hum ‘Under the Sea’. I smile then drift off to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone,

Another chapter, another step closer to uncovering weird shirt stealing werewolf guy. :D Anyone want to put forward names or descriptions about this character?

Thanks so much for the comments. Wow, did you know our loved Beta is away for four whole weeks. Going to miss her but the story must go on.

Question of the update:
What name should the werewolf stranger have?

Thank you so much for all the comments I've recieved, they have really kept this story going.

Thanks for reading/subscribing and commenting,
Lurking_shadow