The Only Way I Know

Long Lost Father

As I made my way down the main street, I looked across the road to where the cinema was located. i glanced at my watch. Tom and Rachel would probably going to the movies by now.

I sighed. I wasn't being a very good friend. But by turning up suddenly I wasn't being any better. I continued walking, until I heard my name called from across the road.

"JAMIE?"

I spun around and saw Rachel waving madly. It looked like Tom hadn't arrived yet. She gestured for me to cross the road and join her. I obliged.

"What are you doing?" she asked, her expression questioning. "You should join me and Tom - he should be heere any minute." She looked at her watch before looking at me again. "I thought you said you couldn't come!"

"Oh .. well - " I had to think of an excuse. "Mum isn't feeling too well, and she needed some stuff from the shops, so I went."

Rachel laughed. "That would explain why you went to Sanity and bought posters," she said, gesturing towards my bags.

"I can't resist," I said, giving a false smile. "I've really gotta get home, so - "

Rachel was soon joined by Tom.

"Sorry babe I'm late," he said, puffing slightly. He kissed Rachel on the lips, causing me to feel awkward all over again.

"Hey Jamie! Thought you said you couldn't make it..." His expression was questioning as well. Why the fuck did I act so antisocial? Geez. I could have at least joined them and put up with their loving-ness.

"Nah I've gotta go," I said hurriedly. "I've got to get some stuff for mum. See ya later!" I quickly stalked off, leaving Tom and Rachel to kiss some more. Man, I was way too horrible. Well, more jealous than anything really. I wish I could have someone to love other than my mother.

As I came inside, I heard mum making dinner. I took my things up to my room, dumping the bags on my bed before padding downstairs again. May as well help Mum with dinner.

"Hey mum," I said casually, getting some knives and forks out of the drawer to set the table.

"Hey Jame. How was your day at school?" She dried her hands on a teatowel and turned around.

"Better," I said. I decided to try and be nicer to my mum. After all, she was one of the only people I could talk to.

"Have you made any new friends? Are you sure school is OK?" I could hear the anxiety in her voice.

"Mum, its fine. Honestly. People don't like me just because I'm different. Alex accepted me for who I was. Me and Alex are like the Billies and Mikes of friendship. I keep comparing everything and everyone here to Australia, and it doesn't work." I carried the cutlery to the table and set it out.

Mum followed me. "Jamie, are you happy here?" Her voice was serious and straightforward.

Fuck no!

I swallowed. "Yes."

"Are you sure?"

For fucks sake, don't be so naive, mum!

"Yes!"

Her face relaxed. "All I want is for you to be happy, Jamie." She went back to the kitchen, looking as though a huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders. That was really weird.

We ate dinner in relative silence. I finished and took my plate up to the sink.

"Jamie? There was a letter for you - I left it in your room," Mum called from the dinner table where she was clearing up.

Who the hell would send me a letter? Instead of asking, I hurried upstairs.

Sure enough, there was a letter sitting on my desk. There was no return address on the back of the envelope. I could have sworn I recognised the handwriting...

I hastily tore open the envelope and fumbled as I opened the folded up piece of paper. It looked as though it had been torn out of a cheap notebook.

I gasped loudly, feeling my heart skip a beat as I realised who the letter was from.

It was from my father.