The Only Way I Know

Yet More Pain, Yet More Loss...

Once the school day had ended, I met Tom and Rachel at the front gate. I decided I would go hang out with them later in town...no matter how awkward it would probably be.

"Can we hang at your house for a while, Jamie?" Tom asked, glancing at his watch. "I'm not working this afternoon, and we've got some time to burn."

I felt a bit apprehensive at Tom and Rachel coming to where I live. My room was pretty average, as was my house...they probably lived in massive houses or expensive apartments...

"Yeah, sure," I said. Well, they would have to deal with my crappy room, I guess.

"Ah - I can't come until the movie starts. I'm really sorry - mum needs me to do some stuff around the house. I guess I need the money anyway." Her face looked genuinely apologetic.

I felt my insides churn at the thought of being alone with Tom. Stupid hormones.

Tom didn't look too bothered by this. "Aww," he said, wrapping his arms around Rachel's waist and hugging her close. He picked her up and spun her in a circle, laughing evilly.

"Tom!" she shrieked, also unable to not laugh. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Tom swerved around, pretending to drop her until catching her again. He finally put her bag on the ground where she staggered a little, only before pomelling Tom's arms.

"What?" he asked indignantly, dodging her every move. "I can't help it if you're so fun to tease. Did you see the way she staggered on the ground?" He impersonated Rachel, acting like someone who had spent the last few hours drinking.

I laughed as Rachel gave Tom a fake death stare. Tom held out his hands in mock fear. Rachel relented and hugged him again.

I heard a car horn beep from behind me. Rachel pulled away and noticed her mum's car.

"Well - I gotta go. So the movie is at eight thirty, right?" Me and Tom nodded. "Great. See you then!" She waved and got into the front seat of the car. I watched as it drove off, leaving me and Tom all alone. The dark clouds above were gathering threateningly. I heard a gentle rumble of thunder as we crossed the street to make our way home.

"It just never stops raining here, does it?" I asked in amazement as thick rain drops began to pelt down just as we reached my door ten minutes later.

"Nah," Tom said in reply, shaking his head to rid the water from his jet black hair. I laughed as his hair flopped to one side, causing him to reach up and mess it up again. "It gets really annoying sometimes, the rain."

"No way! I love it!" I unlocked the door and let ourselves in. Thankfully, mum wasn't home. If she was, I would probably be tormented through teasing for having a boy over. She was so immature sometimes!

Tom followed me inside and looked around the entrance hall appreciatively. "Nice."

"Not really," I said, pulling off my shoes and leading the way upstairs. "My room's a dump."

"Nothing could compare to my room, I swear." Tom smiled, his bright green eyes meeting my hazel ones. I avoided his perfect gaze and continued walking up the stairs. I opened my bedroom door and let him inside.

"Whoa..." he looked at the room in awe. He was probably amazed at the fact it was so small.

"Told you it was crappy." I slumped down on my bed as he wandered around. I realised this was the first time a guy other than family had been in my room, both in England and Australia.

"Are you kidding?" he gestured towards the posters on the wall. "Signed Green Day posters? The Clash, the Ramones...god you have an awesome taste in music." He paused, looking at a smaller poster above my desk. "Who are the Living End?"

"You don't know the Living End?" I asked incredulously. "Australian punkabilly band. I swear, they are awesome...wanna hear them?"

"Ok," he smiled in return and looked through my CD collection while I turned on the song Prisoner of Society.

He nodded his head in appreciation. "They're good. I can tell you have a broad music taste," he said, directing towards my CDs.

"Oh yeah...my friend Alex in Australia was really into indie rock. I would never have gotten into some bands if it weren't for her," I explained. "But, if its not rock or rock-related, then I probably don't like it."

He smiled. "I'm pretty much the same. At least needs a guitar, a bass and a set of drums. Preferably the drums is played by a really insane drummer."

Immediately Tre Cool came into mind. I smiled.

There was an awkward pause while we tried to think of things to say.

"So...lets go out in the rain."

"Um...OK." I looked at Tom questioningly. "Where are we going?"

"You'll see." He led the way out the door with a mischevious grin on his face. I followed him in curiosity.

We left the house and were greeted by a flood of torrential rain. I could have sworn it had never rained that heavily in Australia. Tom cackled with laughter, sprinting down the street ahead of me.

"Hey!" I yelled, sprinting after him and catching up. He kept on running until we found a small park. It consisted of about half an acre of short grass and a rusty set of swings.

"A park?" I questioned.

"Ever played stuck in the mud?" Tom asked. His soaking hair drooped down into his eyes. I could almost feel my eyeliner running already. Tom looked at me expectantly.

"Well?"

"Uh...yeah. But the way we played it, we didn't exactly play in the mud..."

"Oh well." Tom shrugged his shoulders and turned away, before spinning around suddenly and tackling me to the ground. I shrieked as I slid in the mud. Tom laughed loudly, spinning around and running away. I stood up, looking down at the mud coating my clothes.

I hadn't had this much fun in a looooong time.

I chased after Tom and pushed him into the mud. He couldn't stop laughing either. We were there for ages, sliding around in the mud. The rain eased off slightly. It was about five thirty, when Tom's phone rang.

He pulled it out of his pocket, fumbling slightly at the mud on his hands.

"Hello? Oh hi, Mr Wood." He held the phone closely to his ear. Suddenly his face froze and the colour faded away. "What? No...OK. Be right there." He hung up the phone. His lips were turning a shade of blue. All the relaxtion on his face had completely disappeared.

"What is it? Tom?" I asked, beginning to panic. Wood was Rachel's last name. My heart jumped to my throat.

"It's Rachel...she..."

"She what?" I asked in depseration.

"Car accident," he replied numbly, staring at his phone. "The rain...her mum's car...hospital...coma..."

Tom looked as though he was about to collapse. His knees buckled.

I ran forward and threw my arms around him. His body felt limp against mine as he burst into sobs, letting all lose. I held him tight as his body weakened.

Rachel was in a coma.

Could life be possibly worse?