The Only Way I Know

Hidden Lies

My heart was pounding. It didn't seem real. In fact, the concert didn't seem real either. But now it seemed so long ago that I met Green Day.

I ran to my unconscious mum. I remembered that first aid course I did for the Duke of Edinborough award scheme.

I moved my mum into the recovery position. Luckily the broken glass lying around hadn't cut her anywhere else.

"Mum?" I asked desperately. I tried to calm down. "MUM? Can you hear me?"

She stirred slightly, only to become still again. I checked her pulse. Yep, there was definitely one there.

I moved her onto the rug by the sofas. I grabbed a cushion and laid it under her head. Looked like she'd be out of it for a while.

Looking around the room, I realised there must have been quite a fight. I clung my head with my hands, gripping my hair tightly. I felt the tears run down my face. I wasn't part of an abusive family - my parents always got along fine...they never fought like this...

I got up, feeling light headed. I began cleaning up the terrible mess. I reset the furniture back to the way it was, swept up the incredible amount of broken glass, and mopped up the water from broken vases.

I had to call my dad. Maybe someone broke in and kidnapped him...

No. It couldn't be possible. Not with all his stuff gone.

I grabbed the phone and quickly dialed his number.

That annoying alien female voice sounded.

'The person you are trying to reach either is out of service or has their mobile turned off. Please try again later.

I slammed the phone down in frustration, only to quickly pick it up again. I knew who to call - Alex. She was like the sister I never had.

But her phone too was switched off. It was one in the morning - I guess I shouldnt have expected anything more.

The last thing I could remember from that night was sitting down on the lounge, and slowly rest my head against the wall and closing my eyes.

--

I woke up the following morning to find the spot on the floor where I had left Mum empty.

"MUM?" I called, immediately beginning to panic. She couldn't have left as well!

I heard sobs coming from the master bedroom. I jumped up and ran in there, to find my mum sitting helplessly on the bed.

"Mum!" I exclaimed, running forward. Her face was blotchy, covered with dried tears and blood. She sniffed loudly.

"Jamie - " she began, only to collapse in tears again.

I ran to her side, grabbing her into a hug.

"Mum, tell me what's wrong," I said firmly.

"Your father, he - he - "

"He what?"

She looked at me, her bright blue eyes rimmed with tears and running mascara. "He left. He'd been cheating on me with my sister."

I always knew my mum and my aunt didn't get along. I felt myself fill with rage. So the last few months my dad had been 'working late' must've been cover for 'sleeping with Aunt Rose.'

"Mum, he hurt you," I said. "You have to call the police!"

"Jamie, we can't call the police. I don't want them involved."

"Then what are we going to do?" I felt my heart skip a beat.

"Jamie, we're going to have to leave."