The Only Way I Know

When It All Falls Apart

I felt Tom's ribcage heavily shake with each ragged breath he took. He did want to let go.

"Tom, we've got to get to the hospital," I said desperately, wishing it were all a dream. He nodded. But if Rachel was in a coma, there was a good chance she'd get out of it?

Tom was silent as I led the way, even though I had no idea where I was going. He pushed me in the right direction, despite the rain beginning to fall once again and his complete devastation blocking his senses. We arrived at the hospital half and hour later, dripping wet and terrified.

A tall man stood up when we entered the waiting room.

"Tom," he said weakly, shaking his hand. "I - "

"Is she OK?" Tom asked frantically. The tears had dried from his face - all that could be seen was pure shock.

"There's a chance she'll come out of the coma - "

"A chance?" I was about to say the same thing; she had to be OK, didn't she?

He shook his head. "The doctors won't say anything..."

"Is Mrs Wood OK?" Tom asked in concern.
'
"Just minor injuries," Mr Wood explained. He turned to me. "I don't believe I've met you before..."

"This is Jamie. She moved here from Australia," Tom quickly explained. I shook Rachel's father's hand.

"I'm sorry I had to meet you under such terrible circumstances," he said sadly. I could feel the clamminess through his fingertips; his hands shook and felt weak. I was just as sorry to meet Rachel's family now.

I heard a siren type noise coming from down the hallway towards intensive care. My blood turned cold; Mr Wood's face went into a state of panic while Tom froze in fear; doctors rushed past one another, desperate to see what was happening.

"What's going on?" I asked desperately, feeling rooted to the spot. Mr Wood swore under his breath and sprinted down towards the intensive care units. Tom and I stood there, watching everything happen around us, unable to control anything.

We waited and waited with no sign of hope coming from the room. I felt Tom's hand reach for mine. I clasped my fingers around his, feeling increasingly helpless.

A doctor soon emerged from the ward, his face incredibly solemn. My heart jumped to my throat and became to beat unbelievably fast, causing the blood to drain away from my face. I felt Tom's grip tighten on my hand.

"What happened?" Tom demanded, beginning to panic. I craned my neck, trying to peer down the hallway to the seats located outside the rooms. I saw Mr Wood and what looked to be Rachel's younger sister sobbing.

No...it couldn't have...

The doctor stood in front of me and Tom, avoiding our gaze.

I felt Tom's hand slip from mine as he cried "NO!" -

and collapsed on the floor.