The Only Way I Know

Good News, At Last

The next few days at rehab passed relatively quickly. I spent them talking to Miss waters, conferring with Julian and hanging out with my friends. We played pool, soccer, table tennis...but nothing could stop me thinking about Tom...and me. Were we still a couple? What was he doing right now? Was he worried about me? Angry? Depressed?

I wondered the same things about my mum.

I came to learn more about Julian - and his problems. He too live in London, not to far away from me. He went to a different school on the other side of town, as did Amber and Eddy, although they had never even met until rehab.

Every time I was around Julian I immediately felt closer to him. It was something completely different. I was comfortable talking to him, and he could talk to me. We became close friends so quickly...and it was impossible to try and separate myself from him.

I couldn't help but compare him to Tom. Both of them, I realised, could create butterflies in the pit of my stomach. But Julian seemed interested in my problems...or was it just me? Tom had the same interests as me for one thing, but now that seemed so unimportant. Tom could hold me tight...but Julian could comfort me with words even...

My therapy sessions were improving as well, despite the stupid questions I was asked. Even Miss Waters noticed me and Julian's growing friendship. I shook it off.

But it was the next day that I received the best news. I had been at Fernbrook for about a week and a half, and even I could feel myself improving. As I exited Miss Water's office, I met up with Julian, who was grinning madly as well.

"I'm getting released in two days!" I burst out, feeling tingly inside just at the thought.

His eyes widened. "That's fantastic! I just got the news as well - "

"You did?!" I couldn't stop grinning.

Julian pulled me into a hug - but suddenly, it felt so much more than that. Something clicked, something ignited. We pulled away awkwardly, avoiding each others' eyes.

Oh no, I realised. He felt it too...

No. It was just me and...and...he just didn't want to hug anymore...

"So...um...want to have a round of pool?" I asked in a voice that sounded much higher than normal.

"Sure," he asked, sounding relieved at a change of subject. As we walked into the games room, I forced myself to forget about the awkwardness. We were just happy at the fact we were leaving...