The Only Way I Know

Walk On

I heard the bell ring and hastily packed up my things, wrapping my scarf tightly around my neck and bracing myself for the near blizzard outside. But nothing could ruin my good mood - not even Tom's continuing coldness or Jade's constant rumours about me. I was going out with Julian, and nothing could compare to that.

Yet as I trudged outside I still felt a stab of guilt. My hesitation at answering had been ten times worse than embarrassment.

"Jamie, will you go out with me?"

"I - I - "

His face was horrified. He though I didn't want to. I was shocked at having been asked out so suddenly, especially with my mind elsewhere.

"No - don't...worry..."

I felt equally mortified. "No seriously. I'm sorry - I...I...of course I'll fucking go out with you. I really like you," I had added stupidly, feeling my cheeks burn.

His face had lit into another one of those brilliant smiles; my stomach did the usual backflip. And then he reached over and kissed me...

The blast of cold air and sleet awoke me out of my happy daydream as soon as I opened the door. I pushed my way through to the main hall, grabbing my stuff from my locker and meeting Julian out the front of the school. His face was half hidden by his scarf and overcoat collar folded up around his ears; his arms were tightly folded as he huddled against the wind.

I felt bad for making him wait for me in such bitter weather - but he didn't seem at all bothered. I could see his eyes crease as he smiled under his scarf.

"Why didn't you sneak into our hall?" I asked incredulously, noting his blue lips.

He unwrapped the scarf and continued to look genuinely happy anyway. "Because that would require me touching the cold hard metal of your little school gate...my hand would stick to it!"

"Aha, good point," I admitted, looking behind and seeing Tom and Jess wrapped closely together. I quickly avoided this happy little scene and turned back to Julian, who was looking at me almost expectantly.

"What?" he asked.

"I was about to ask you the same thi--"

My words were cut off as I felt Julian's lips press against mine, silencing me immediately and sending a plesant chill down my spine which had nothing to do with the weather. I pressed my hand up to his cheek, feeling his skin begin to warm under my touch.

We pulled apart all too soon. He smiled at me while his blue eyes sparkled and seemed to show nothing else except for deep affection. I slipped my hand around his, walking closely by his side in the freezing weather.

I glanced behind me to see Tom and Jade no longer entangled in a romantic embrace; Jade was talking animatedly to her friends, but Tom - Tom was standing there, shocked and frozen, staring in our direction.

I forced my eyes forward and turned to look at Julian again. He smiled and wrapped his arm around me, encasing me in warmth and safety.

Walk on, walk on...
What you've got they can't deny it
Can't sell it, can't buy it
Walk on, walk on

Stay safe tonight...