The Only Way I Know

A Little Bit of Love

Life became a little more pleasant with Tom as a friend. It came with a heavy price, however - not only was there the constant presence of Jade to deal with, but to hang out with Tom meant to hang out with the popular group.

The group went against everything I believed in. The guys are jerks - the more of a jerk or asshole you are, the cooler you are. The girls are ditzy, and serve no real purpose other than laughing at the lame jokes the guys told, wearing the latest trends and transmitting new gossip to the group.

I might as well have been invisible. Every lunchtime and recess was spent being silent. Every thought was ridden with wishful thinking about Julian, anger at having to put up with the group, and painful memories of the old Tom.

But why did I torture myself with these people? Tom didn't fit in either - or at least, it didn't seem to me like he did. He was too smart, too intelligent...too...normal. But no matter how much it hurt seeing him in this different light, I had accepted it.

The bitter January weather settled into an equally cold February. The days slipped by, all the same - wake up, school, and hanging out with Julian.

My heart skipped a beat every time I thought of him. The way we could talk for hours on end, the way we could laugh at the stupidest things...the way the world faded around me as our lips slowly moved together...

As I made my way down the stairs one morning, I noticed the house was oddly quiet. Mum had left for work early.

Shrugging my shoulders, I bid farewell to Joey, preparing myself for the near blizzard billowing outside. I opened the door, nearly screaming with fright. There stood Julian, tightly clutching a red rose in his thickly gloved hands.

"Julian!" I shrieked, clutching my chest and regaining my breath. The wind billowed around carelessly as I felt my body quickly warm up at the mere sight of him. How did he make me feel that way?

"Happy Valentine's Day!" he said sweetly, handing me the rose and giving a warm smile.

I was speechless. I honestly had forgotten about Valentine's Day. Not that it had ever held any real significance. Every year had passed the same - admirer-less, boyfriend-less and seething about the stupidity of the entire holiday.

"I'd been waiting out here for ten minutes!" he said while his teeth chattered. I flung my arm around his neck and pulled him into a passionate kiss.

"Mind if I walk you to school?" Julian asked casually once we had finally pulled apart.

"But you'll be late for school!" I exclaimed.

"Who cares? I'd rather be with you forever," he replied, wrapping an arm around my waist and encasing me in warmth. My stomach backflipped again as I heard those words. He was so unbelieveably sweet. Never before had a guy cared so much about me...it was as if all those years feeling lonely added up in one perfect package. Julian. I kissed him on the cheek and slowly walked alongside him to school.

All too soon the journey was over. I stood outside the school gates tied in a warm kiss, wishing I didn't have to go back to hell.

Julian lifted a hand to my cheek, his nose almost touching my numb one as those blue eyes penetrated every one of those thoughts. "Go bash up some bitches for me today," he said, giving me a small smile as my head spun around in a daze.

I smiled reluctantly, kissing him one final time. "I'll try," I whispered. "Now you've gotta run the entire way to school, otherwise I'll have to explain to your dad why you came late without a reason."

He grinned, slowly letting go of my hand and backing away. "Didn't I ever tell you I'm an incredibly fast runner, shortlisted for the Olympics?"

I rolled my eyes. "Go put it to good use!" I called after him as the howling wind loudened. He grinned madly before turning around and running out of sight.

I turned back to the school, happily smiling to myself as my insides danced the conga. Glancing up ahead, I saw Tom walking inside hurriedly.

"TOM! Wait up!" I yelled, quickly following him inside the main hall. He turned around, his face pulling into a forced smile as he registered my presence.

"Oh - hey Jamie," he said, looking slightly distracted. I noticed the repulsive flowers and heart cutouts posted up along the entire hall.

Part of me hoped Tom had seen me and Julian together, showing him I had moved on as well. For some reason, the other half hoped desperately he hadn't.

"So...um...Valentine's Day," he said awkwardly, clearly looking to talk about something other than the reason why he was so distracted.

"Uh - yeah," I replied, feeling equally awkward. "Have you got plans with Jade yet?"

"What? Oh - no. I mean, yes. Maybe the movies. I dunno - "

"Is something wrong, Tom?" I asked questioningly.

"Uh, I've gotta run. I have...er...homework."

Before I knew it, he had disappeared. I glanced behind me, only to see Jade stalking around red eyes and blotchy, accompanied by a few friends attempting to console her.

Had I missed out on something?