The Only Way I Know

Why Do You Want Me?

My afternoon with Julian was as perfect as usual; yet somehow, better. We walked hand in hand down town, saw a movie and hung out at the park. I could believe how much I loved him; never before had I felt this way about anyone. Just every little thing about him...nothing could be explained. Everytime I thought about him my mind raced - as did my heart.

"So has school gotten better for you at all?" I asked as we walked along the icy footpath to the park. I watched every feature of his face move as he walked - from the way the wind ruffled his blonde hair to the way his long face braced against the wind.

"Not really," he admitted, flicking his hair out of his eyes. We stopped outside the park gates. "I bet you couldn't catch me," he said with a grin, raising an eye brow.

"Wanna bet?" I asked, returning his sly smile.

Julian sprinted into the park, catching me by surprise. I chased after him, unable to stop laughing as he dived around everywhere.

Just as he came from behind a tree I grabbed the hem of his shirt and kissed him passionately on the lips. I giggled stupidly as he gave a infectious laugh and tickled me until I collapsed on the ground.

"Stop!" I gasped, trying to stop laughing. Julian relented, kissing me again on the lips. He collapsed down next to me, holding my hand tightly and giving a content sigh.

I wanted to lay beside him forever in the cold; the air numbed my nose, the dark grey clouds stretched over the sky endlessly; but everything was perfect. I rested my head against his arm.

"Did I tell you Amber and Eddy came back to school?" Julian asked, wrapping his arm around me.

I sat upright. "No! Thats heaps awesome!"

"They've given me some real people to talk to at school...at last." Julian smiled, gently closing his eyes. "They're having a party tomorrow night - do you wanna go?"

I hesitated. Sure, I knew Julian, Amber and Eddy. But that wasn't the problem. Who else was going to be there? Besides, I hadn't been to many of these parties. The ones with alcohol, rowdy teenagers and possibly drugs.

"It'll be fun - and I promise I won't leave you alone with the psycho kids," Julian said sincerely, hugging me closer.

"Okay...what time tomorrow night?"

"Round about eight. Trust me on this one, okay?" Julian gave his most Julian-ish smile. Feeling reassured, I lay beside Julian well into the darkness.

***

The following evening I readied myself for the party, dressing in my best black jeans and Adeline shirt. Checking my hair one final time, I applied my eyeliner, grabbed my coat and padded my way down the stairs.

I heard Mum from the kitchen, cleaning up after dinner.

"Mum - I'm just going out to a friends place," I called out, stepping outside and closing the door before I could hear her reply. Julian stood at the bottom of the concrete stairs, huddled up with his back against the wind.

I gave him a quick kiss in greeting and let him lead me to Amber's place, all along the way having a discussion on punk rock in the modern day and age. Within twenty minutes we had arrived at our destination.

Loud music thumped from inside the house.

"Where are Amber's parents?" I asked hesitantly, letting go of Julian's hand and fiddling with the hem of my shirt.

"Out. I can't believe they actually trusted Amber with the house," Julian smiled, shaking his head. "Now come on in, Jamie, and welcome to the dark side. Lighten up!" He reached for my hand and squeezed it.

We headed inside the small house, crowded with people of all ages inside. I recognised the song to be the Ramones. Instantly relaxing, I didn't notice Julian being whisked out of my sight by some people from his school.

I cautiously made my way down the hallway and into what looked to be the living room.

"Jamie!" I heard a familiar voice yell from across the room. I turned around only to see Tom enthusiastically moving forward.

"I didn't think you'd be here!" I said loudly over the music.

Tom shrugged. He nodded his head toward the door leading into the small backyard. "Wanna have a break from the music?"

"Aww c'mon! It's the Ramones!" I grinned, following him nonetheless outside and back into the cold air. We closed the glass door behind us, taking a seat down on the balcony.

"Is Jade here?" I asked casually, breaking the slightly awkward silence.

"No," Tom replied. "She didn't want to come."

I realised how close we were sitting. I winced inwardly, wishing I could have been anyplace but where I was. We sat in silence for a few more moments, our breath coming out as clouds of white fog.

"So..um...sure is cold tonight - "

My words were cut off by a sudden presence of Tom's lips on mine.