The Only Way I Know

Homecoming...to a new home.

I packed my bags slowly. Mum had been acting so distant - but so had I. I had to stop thinking of myself. I wasn't the only one leaving everything behind. My mum was too.

I stuffed my clothes into one bag, not bothering to check twice. I couldn't care less about that stuff.

When it came to packing anything other than clothes, however, I took my time.

I picked up the photo frame by my bedside table. Inside that frame was a smiling me - with my arm around Alex. I was only 12 when that photo had been taken...and my personal style hadn't yet taken that darker side. My hair was its normal brown colour, my face looking genuinely happy.

I sighed and carefully placed it in my bag. I saw my Green Day guitar song book on the desk - and quickly packed it. There was no doubt in this new strange place I would need some strumming time with my guitar.

I packed all of my CDs - The Clash, Green Day, the Ramones...anything and everything. I stopped when I came to my burnt copy of The Killer's CD.

The Killers were Alex's favourite band. She knew them as well as I knew Green Day.

I felt the tears come back. I shoved it inside my bag, before packing my guitar and slumping down on my bed when I was done.

Sitting right in front of me was my whole life - packed into three suitcases and a guitar case.

But then in the corner was my skateboard. My beloved skateboard. The one Alex had given to me as a birthday present.

I quickly grabbed it. I couldn't possibly leave without it.

"Jamie?" my mum called out.

This was it. The last time I would sit in my room for a while.

I dragged my stuff out into the waiting taxi parked on the street. My mum looked at me, her eyes sad, but her mouth smiling.

"It'll be OK, Jame," she said softly. I pulled her into a hug, before climbing into the cab and looking at my house for the last time.

And so we pulled into the airport. The hustle and bustle was weird.

And I was going to miss this place so much.