The Only Way I Know

A Beautiful Day;

Julian, as always, was waiting by the school gate that afternoon, looking around thoughtfully. Everything seemed to slow down when I saw him - even the gentle wind blowing his hair across his face...

"Do you want to hang out in town?" Tom asked, not noticing Julian standing by the gate. I shook myself out of my temporary trance.

"Uh - I'm hanging out with Julian this afternoon," I said quietly, lowering my eyes and forcing myself not to look in Julian's direction.

"Oh - oh right," Tom replied awkwardly, looking slightly taken aback. "Don't worry. I'll - I'll see you tomorrow, then, Jamie."

I gave a hasty smile and nodded, turning around and walking down to where Julian stood. His eyes lit up when he saw me, flashing the usual charming smile. Julian. At least something in my life seemed perfect. I felt the usual fluttering in my stomach as I saw Julian's blue eyes sparkle.

The first words to leave his mouth, however, did not match this look. "You're talking to him?"

I could have sworn there was something different about the way he spoke that moment...

"I - Julian, he apologised, and - "

"I'm sorry," Julian said quickly, shaking his head. I felt his arm wrap around my waist, pulling me into a hug. "I can't help but be protective of my precious cargo." He kissed me on the top of my head.

Instantly my day became brighter, despite the dark threatening clouds up ahead. How Julian made me feel like that was almost impossible to describe. It was like nothing was wrong at all; nothing could make you feel worse; like you were on top of the world.

As we walked hand in hand through the bustling streets, low rumbles of thunder rolled across the skies, and within moments it was pourings with rain. I felt Julian squeeze my hand tightly.

"You wouldn't happen to straighten your hair, Jamie?"

I threw Julian a puzzled look, distractedly noticing each drop of water roll down his long face. "Uh...no..."

"So you won't mind getting wet then?" Julian gave a mischevious smile so irresistible I had a sudden urge to squeeze him like a teddy bear.

"I guess no--" My words were cut off as Julian grabbed my other hand and spun me in a circle along the slippery footpath. The rain showed now sign of easing as we soaked up all of the water. I shrieked as Julian kicked up a puddle, running off as I attempted to retaliate. My jeans uncomfortably clung to my skin while I was frozen to the bone. And yet I was having fun - genuine, bona-fide fun.

I continued to chase Julian along the road with no destination in particular. Our feet hammered along the ground, sending water flying everywhere. Cars sped past, almost oblivious to our senses.

Julian stopped after a little while, panting only slightly and standing proudly.

"So you caught up!" He grinned, flicking his soaked blonde hair to the other side of his face. I rolled my eyes, trying to prevent my teeth chattering from the cold.

Julian moved closer, standing directly in front of me. I felt our faces inch closer until our noses just touched. It was as if there was some form of shield around us deflecting the rain. I could feel nothing but Julian's forehead on mine; the sweet feeling of pure anticipation as I wondered what would happen next.

"Did I mention how beautiful you are? All the time?" Julian whispered, lifting his hand and wiping a drop of water from my cheek.

"Did I mention how beautiful you are when your hair sticks to your eyes?" I replied, just as softly, yet still not able to stop feeling incredibly touched at Julian's words. I could see his smile - even though my eyes were closed.

Julian gently lifted my chin, tenderly kissing my frozen lips. I could begin to feel myself glow inside - despite the icy rain sliding down my back and into my eyes.

We slowly broke apart. Julian smiled at me, stroking my cheek once again.

"Jamie! You're like ice!" he exclaimed, his blue eyes immediately transforming into a look of genuine concern. "I'm taking you home."

I wanted to protest, but I knew he was right. I was freezing. "But Julian, I can walk home - its freezing and its too far - "

He held up his hand, shaking his head. "I don't care," he replied firmly, pulling me to his side. I relented, suddenly feeling a wave of tiredness wash over me. I realised how much had happened today...my confrontations with Jade and Tom...their breakup - and now this...

Julian returned me home safely yet soaking wet. He paused once we reached the front door, holding my arm.

"Julian, please, come inside...you're freezing - "

He smiled yet again, kissing me on the lips. "It's okay Jamie...I'd better get home."

I reluctantly nodded, kissing him on the cheek. I never wanted him to leave my side - he made everything seem right. He reached for my hand, squeezing it one final time.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he said softly, kissing me one final time. As I watched him pick up a jog and make his way home I rested against the front door, ignoring the relentless rain. My insides danced the conga; as long as I had Julian, the world seemed okay.

Give me a long kiss goodnight and everything will be alright...