The Only Way I Know

Impossible.

I could tell Mum was trying to direct the conversation in the car later that morning towards me and Julian. Presumably to tease or interrogate me - both of which I was in no mood to tolerate.

For the fifth time I flicked on the radio, only for her to reach forward and switch it off again.

"Mum!" I said indignantly, reaching forward and turning the radio back on.

"You hate Maroon 5," she said, rolling her eyes.

"I don't hate them," I said, directing my gaze out the window. I was able to tolerate an English pop station for the sake of avoiding conversation with my mum.

The car pulled to a stop outside the school. I grabbed my bag from where it was sitting at my feet, hastily getting out of the car in a flash.

"Jamie, don't think I don't know what's going on," Mum said with a sly smile as I began to close the door.

I rolled my eyes . "There's nothing to tell."

"I was once young too, you know," she said with a laugh. I closed the door, giving a final wave and heading up the school's main pathway.

Tom was leaning against my locker when I entered the main hallway. He gave a friendly smile and stood up straighter.

"How was your afternoon with Julian," he asked casually, pretending to remove something from the underside of his fingernail. I could have sworn I saw the almost jelous creature behind his eyes glinting in the light.

"Fine," I said shortly, dumping books in my looker. "Speaking of Julian, I had an idea..."

I explained Julian's idea to Tom, yet making it out to be my own. I half expected Tom to instantly reject the suggestion - yet on the contrary he agreed.

"Sounds like a plan." He gave a slightly forced smile. Tom glanced up at the clock at the end of the hall. "Crap - I'd better head off...you have art, right?"

I nodded.

"I'll see you later then." Tom began to walk off to his class in the other direction.

"Tom - wait a minute." I caught up with him and pulled him to a halt.

"I just wanted to say thanks for understanding the entire situation," I said gently, watching his green eyes intently.

He smiled. "I'm sorry it took me so long to stop being such an arse about it all."

I laughed, glad to see hints of the Tom I used to know. "It was worth the wait, trust me. I'll see you later." I bid my farewell and made my way down to art, stamping down the ominous feeling. Hopefully Tom and Julian would get along...

The day sped by in a blur. Double arts, recess, maths, English, science, lunch and double music went unusually quickly. Not only was it usual to feel bored out of my mind in class, but near excitement bubbled in the pit of my stomach at the thought of jamming with my two best friends almost like a band.

Once music had ended, I double checked with the teacher that the Rock Room was available. Despite her almost snide reply, I managed to keep a smile and gratefully thank her.

"I'll just go and get Julian, okay?" I told Tom, leaving him to set up the drum kit and guitar and bass amps. I met Julian by the gate as arranged, leading him into the school grounds and to the Rock Room.

"This is heaps cool!" Julian exclaimed as we entered the music building. I grinned, taking his hand and opening the door to the Rock Room. He couldn't stop smiling, instantly reminding me of myself on having first saw the room.

Tom saw us enter and stood up from where he had been warming up on the drums. He gave an awkward smile.

"Hi," Julian said, almost nervously reaching out to shake Tom's hand. I held my breath as Tom paused, until he shook Julian's hand awkwardly.

"So, are you guys ready?" I asked, attempting to break the awkward silence and picking up the familiar Gibson guitar. Julian did the same, easily sliding the strap around his neck and giving me a warm smile.

I could see Tom watching Julian intently. I bit my lip as Tom's jaw clenched, yet his face remained as calm as possible. I didn't realise this was so hard for either of them.

"Let's just warm up," I said quickly, noticing the increasing tension within the room. I knew by instinct that had I not been present in the room, each guy would have been gladly beating the other up.

And so we warmed up for a good fifteen minutes - each within their own world.

Yet I could see both Tom and Julian were attempting to outdo one another - Julian continuing to turn up his amp and Tom continuing to smash the drums harder and harder.

"What should we play?" I asked once they had stopped, feeling increasingly annoyed at both of them. Why couldn't they just stop and act like normal people? Not act desperate to impress me or outdo the other?

"How about With Or Without You by U2?" Julian suggested. "It's got a really easy bass and guitar part, and - "

"There's no drums," Tom said sharply. "Or not at least enough to be fun to play."

"Sorry it's not good enough for you," Julian said simply, turning to me. "What do you think, Jame?"

"I don't know," I replied quietly, forcing myself to not look at either of them.

"How about something by the Ramones?" Tom suggested. "It's fast, catchy and stuff...good drum parts..."

"How about Keep Your Hands Off My Girl?" Julian asked, his voice beginning to show signs of anger.

"How about you fuck off?" Tom nearly yelled.

"No, clearly buddy, its you who needs to fuck off," Julian said loudly, rounding on Tom.

"Will you guys shut the fuck up?" I yelled, trying to stop myself from hitting both of them repeatedly on the head with my guitar. "You guys are acting like two year olds! I thought this would be fun, but clearly it fucking isn't!" I slipped the strap over my head and dumped the guitar on the floor, leaving the Rock Room and slamming the door behind me.

These two guys as friends?

I beg to differ.