The Only Way I Know

Rebellion? No, not really...

Monday morning started off as any Monday morning would; I dragged myself out of bed and prepared myself for yet another week of school. Now I could really say everything was fine – I had decoded Julian’s problems and was friends with Alex again. All that remained was to remove the dynamite set between me and Tom that was likely to blow up at any minute.

Yet thankfully, the days passed without a hitch. I spent my time with Tom as usual – although I couldn’t help but wonder what lay in the future between us. Would he ever pull another stunt like the one at the party?

On Wednesday afternoon Julian was by the gate just like he always had been. Everything seemed as though it was back to normal, at least. His blonde hair was as unkempt as usual while the wind gently ruffled it back and forth.

Tom seemed to be watching my actions intently as we walked out of the school building following the final bell. Despite his promise at having nothing more with me than a friendship, I kept feeling slightly suspicious. He was a great friend at times; but at others, he was either the green eyed monster or making suggestions that made me feel uncomfortable.

I could hear his sigh from beside me. “You really like him, don’t you?”

My gaze remained directed at Julian. “Yes.” I returned the sigh. “Do you still feel – upset? Over Rachel, I mean?” I turned my head to look at his distant eyes as they divulged into obviously bittersweet memories.

“All the time,” he said softly. “I’ll never forget her. But what happened after her was some of the best and worst things to happen to me.”

I swallowed. This was just one of these normal awkward moments we seemed to encounter nowadays. It was hard to imagine what life without them would have been like.

“I’d better let you go,” Tom said, clearing his throat and flicking a stray bit of hair from his eyes. He gave me a quick hug. “Will we be able to hang out sometime, Jamie? For old times’ sake?”

His eyebrows creased in genuine hope. I gave a small smile. “For old times, of course.”

He returned the smile. “Awesome. Have fun this afternoon.”

With a final wave I made my way down to where Julian stood by the gate. He looked up from where he had been playing with his phone and gave a warm smile.

“Hello, sunshine.” He gave a grin in a most Julian-ish way, making me feel a lot happier than I had been feeling recently. I kissed him on the lips and linked my arm in his.

“Any reason for your extreme cheeriness?” he laughed, giving me a gentle kiss on the forehead. We headed down the main street just as we did every afternoon, the cool wind a pleasant exchange for the previously freezing one.

“Oh, nothing…” I smiled again and rested my head against his shoulder, just happy to be with him again. “Do you ever think we’ll get bored of hanging out in town together?”

“Probably. But then again, we could always go do something…rebellious.”

“What do you mean?” I quickly caught on to his infectious mysteriousness.

“Well, the gang were thinking of a bonfire at the park tomorrow night. What do you think?”

“The gang?” It sounded so odd when put in that way.

“You know – Amber, Eddy and Roshi. Ze gang.” Julian spread his arms wide dramatically. Almost instantly his blue eyes transformed into a look of seriousness.

“That sounds like fun,” I said appreciatively. “So, a bonfire?”

“Yes.” He gave a simple smile, impatiently waving his arm while his brilliant blue eyes sparkled. “Come on, it’ll be just the five of us. Just like old times.”

I had an unusual sensation of déjà vu as he said this – as well as a sense of impending doom. Those people couldn’t be the most trustworthy on the planet…

“What’s wrong?” Julian asked abruptly, pulling me to a stop. His eyebrows creased in concern.

“Nothing,” I said firmly, shaking off my troubles. Nothing would happen at the bonfire. I had to stop freaking out.

“Are you sure? You seem – different.”

Yes,” I laughed. “I’m fine, Julian. It sounds like fun.”

“Don’t worry, it will be. It’s perfect for a winter’s night.” With that, we continued walking down the street, huddled closely together.

I just hoped it would be fun, too.