The Only Way I Know

A New Home

I continued to stare out the window into the miserable drizzle. We were driving for what felt like ages and ages. Until we finally arrived in the heart of London.

"This isn't Hampshire," I said, ripping the earphones out of my ears.

My mum turned around, looking glum. "There's been a short change of plan."

Great. What else could have changed?

I gave her a look plainly suggesting I wasn't happy.

"We have to live in the city for a while," she said quietly. "Hampshire doesn't have a school."

"I don't care," I said, avoiding her gaze. "I want to drop out of school, cut all my hair off and lock myself in a cupboard, isolated from everyone else."

Her face fell and she turned to face the front again. I couldn't help but be in a tetchy mood. With every minute that passed I became more and more depressed and homesick.

We continued to drive around, stopping outside a line of nice looking townhouses. At least they looked nice on the outside. But a lot of things in this world that looked pretty were horrible inside.

Josie turned off the engine. "So, I'll show you to your room. I organised a room for you both."

"Thank you so much Josie...I don't know what we'd do without you," Mum said graciously, pulling her friend into a hug again.

"Its not a problem," she said. "I'm sorry you couldn't come to live with me in Hampshire."

I looked around the bustling street with interest. Maybe I would see some cool new places around here.

We lugged our stuff up the small set of stairs to the front door. Josie pulled a set of keys out of her pocket and unlocked the door.

I followed them inside, closing the door behind me. I looked at the high ceiling with interest. Not too shabby.

We walked down the hallway, seeing a room on each side opposite each other. The living room was to my left, with the kitchen and dining room on my right.

We met a set of stairs. I dragged my stuff up, not listening to Josie talk animatedly about the completely furnished place and how nice it was. On the next floor were two rooms - both with double beds. One room was furnished in pink - the other in blue.

"Mum, I need the blue room," I said immediately. I hated the colour pink with a passion. It was too overrated. Too disgusting. Reminded me of vomit.

"OK, OK," she laughed, her and Josie going into the pink room to set up her stuff. I went into my room. So this was home. Home for ... I didn't know how long.

The walls looked bare without posters or various random artworks like I would put up back in Australia. I sat down on the bed, noticing how comfy it was. The dark blue bedspread matched the blue walls perfectly. I picked up my guitar off the floor and placed it carefully on my bed, opening it and making sure everything was perfectly right.

I stood up and stretched, picking up my suitcase full of clothes and chucking it entirely into the wardrobe. I had no idea when I would actually properly store them away. Folding them and putting them in perfectly would make this place feel too permanent for me.

I pulled out my Cds and walked over to the desk where there was a brand new stereo sitting there. It was perfect. At least I would be able to blast out my music when I wanted to.

I laid my CDs on the desk, trying not to think about home too much.

I had to get into town and get some posters, I decided. I should have brought the ones from home over.

I opened my door and went into Mum's room. Josie had already left.

"Mum - I'm going into town."

"Be careful."