The Only Way I Know

Downtown.

I ran down the stairs, quickly grabbing some money out of my mum's wallet which was by the door. She wouldn't mind.

I went out the front door, bowing my head against the cold wind. It was drizzling slightly heavier than before. I shoved my hands deep into my pockets.

So where to go...

I pondered in thought for a minute. Maybe I would just go find a mall or something like that.

I walked down the street, noticing there were barely any teenagers or kids around. I felt so out of place - like I would never fit in. Where I lived in Sydney people didn't care so much about my excessive use of eyeliner and my black hair. Here it was a different story. People steered clear of me - as if they were scared I would lash out them.

I wished I could lash out at them. Make them feel the pain I was feeling inside.

I fiercely wiped the fresh tears away. I had to be strong - to not be so homesick.

I walked past the clothes store disinterestedly. I stopped dead outside the CD shop. What cds did I even need? I headed inside, going striaght to the rock music section, past the Robbie Williams and Kylie Minogue stands.

I gasped when I saw the Green Day section. There was one album left - Insomniac. And I had been looking for that album for years without success. I immediately grabbed it and walked up to the counter.

"Just this please," I said. I couldn't help but notice how cute the guy working at the counter was.

He nodded, but paused as he put the CD into the bag.

"You're Australian?" he asked. Even his English accent was cute. He sounded so educated.

"Um - yeah," I said. He grinned.

"You have a cool accent," he commented.

"Erm ... not really," I said. I felt so shy around him. But I knew better. I had never even been asked out by a guy, let alone actually dated one. As if this guy would be interested.

"So you like Green Day?" he asked, finally putting the CD in the bag.

"Obviously," I said, a bit too coolly.

The look on his face was arrogant. Great. He was a Green Day hater.

"Have you got a problem with that?" I asked fiercely, feeling my temper rise. I got angry very easily - particularly if it concerned my personal taste in music.

"No," he said. I could tell he wasn't telling the truth.

I grabbed the bag off him and left the store. So, I'd felt like ripping his head off. Just because I was pissed off.

I took a deep breath, forcing myself to calm down. I was going to meet plenty more jerks here. And I was going to get really pissed off at them.

I headed further down the street, feeling relieved at finding a mall. I headed inside, blissfully away from the cold. It was pleasantly warm inside.

I saw groups of teenagers hanging around everywhere. I slowly walked around, noticing all the girls looked like bitches.

I had never wanted to go home more than ever.