The Only Way I Know

School is...stupid.

I lay in bed, restless after an entire night without sleep.

I knew what day it was today.

Time to start school.

This really, really sucked.

I groaned loudly, rolling over and dragging myself out of bed. Last night was my first night in this strange place. The sheets were different, the smells were different - the time it got light in the morning was different.

I heard my mum making breakfast downstairs. Usually we'd have a very casual breakfast. We'd both get up at different times, make some toast, sit and watch tv or whatever. But that was in Australia.

I slowly walked downstairs and sat down at the table. Mum had made pancakes.

"Pancakes?" I enquired.

"I thought you'd need a good start for the day," she said smilingly, giving me a massive plate of pancakes. "It's going to be really hard, but I know you'll get through it ok."

"Thanks," I said quietly, not feeling hungry at all.

I picked at my food, before finally relenting and going upstairs to get changed. It was a public school - but they still had a uniform.

I hated uniforms. I hated anything with made us all look alike, or make us all the same in anyway.

I buttoned my white top and pulled on my black slacks. At least black was part of the uniform. I slipped the black woollen v-neck jumper on before grabbing my converse and applying my eyeliner thickly.

May as well scare everyone while I was here.

I tied up my dark hair into a pony tail and grabbed my shoulder bag. Sure enough badges covered the entire sling.

I went back downstairs.

"I'll give you a lift," my mum offered, keys in hand.

"We have a car?" I asked.

"Rental," she grinned, opening the front door and locking it behind her. I got into the small car and felt the nerves begin to creep in further. I hastily pulled out my iPod and turned it up loud.

And so we pulled in front of my brand new school. It was pretty nice on the aesthetic side.

But the people walking on the front lawn were hiedously ugly to me.

I swallowed, kissing my mum goodbye and putting away my iPod. I got out of the car and walked up the pathway, taking a deep breath and looking at the people around me.

A group of girls walked past. Instead of wearing the black pants, they were wearing skirts ... and worn really, really high.

I rolled my eyes.

"What the fuck is your problem?" one of the girls demanded. Make up was loaded on her face, her teeth perfectly straight and pearly white.

"Did I say I had a fucking problem?" I said fiercely, staring directly into her cold blue eyes.

"What the fuck? Are you, like, Australian or something?" she flicked her light brown hair behind her shoulder.

"How about you take a guess, dumass," I said angrily, crossing my arms over my chest.

She huffed and stalked off with her bitchy friends.

God, the people here were even worse than in Australia.

I went into the main building and walked slowly down the hallway. People of any type were here: Punks, bitches, jocks, jerks, nerds...

And I felt like I wanted to punch them all.