Sequel: Our Goodbyes
Status: Finished!

Careless

Cuts on paper hearts

It was night time already; Norma was in the kitchen talking to Trina with Taylor helping with the food. Frank, Sidney and Troy were in the garage talking about Frank's car collection.

Ella sat in her room alone; going through her bag a relieved sigh left her lips when she spotted her most prized possession at the bottom of her bag. She pulled out the sky blue colored hospital wristband and held it close to her heart. She wasn't supposed to have it in the first place, but the woman had been nice enough to give it to her.

It meant the world to her. The wristband was the only thing she had to remember him, she wouldn't know what she would have done if she had lost it. Tears started to fall when she remembered the day they took him away. She could never forget it. March 30th.

She heard a soft knock on the door making her jump and quickly scrambled to gather herself. "Come in," she called with a shaky breath.

"Ella?" Sidney called, entering her room cautiously. He panned the room quickly, it was rather plain, but he didn't expect anything else especially when she had just arrived. His eyes landed on the blonde sitting on her bed. Her eyes held small hints that she had been crying before he entered the room. "What's wrong?" he asked worriedly and sat on her bed next to her.

Ella just laughed and shook her head. "It's nothing. I just miss home," she lied and tried to wipe the remaining tears.

Sidney didn't even notice that she was holding something until she moved her hand. It was protruding from her small hand and he could only make out the name James from the tag and that it was a medical wristband. He had a feeling that she wasn't crying over missing home but rather the object she was holding.

Noticing that Sidney's attention was on the wristband, she quickly stuffed it back into her bag not wanting him to ask questions about it.

"Are you sure you're okay?" he asked again.

Ella just nodded and dug the palm of her hand to her eyes to wipe away any remaining tears. "I'm sorry you have to see me like this. I guess I missed home more than I thought," she laughed sarcastically.

Sidney just shook his head. "Don't worry about it. I know the feeling of homesickness," he comforted her. They sat in a comfortable silence, just enjoying each other's company; Ella drew circles on the palm of Sidney's hand.

Sidney was different. He wasn't like any of the guys Ella knew. He was sweet, honest and just an all around nice person. He was someone, Ella felt she could trust and he would never intentionally hurt her. She definitely saw him as a good friend.

"Tell me about one of your tattoos," he said suddenly.

Ella looked up from drawing circles on his palm and sighed. "The one on my shoulder," she started and removed a part of her sweater to show Sid her black and white ace with intricate designs. "My friend and I were just in my apartment one day messing around and he was training to become a tattoo artist. I told him that once he got his licence, I would be his first customer," she continued. "They called me Ace because I had an obsession with cards."

"What about this one?" he asked pointing to the words on her right arm going vertical.

Closing her eyes, Ella smiled sadly. "It's a poem by my favourite children's author. It says 'Beware the Jabberwocky my son, the jaws that bite, the claws that catch'. I dunno, for some reason that line had always stuck on me and at the time I got it, something really bad happened to me," Ella explained softly.

Sidney didn't want to press the subject because he knew that it was a touchy one and Ella didn't know him enough to tell her. "I'm sure Tay told you about the carnival coming up this Saturday," he mumbled shyly and looked up to see Ella nodding. "I was wondering if… I was wondering if you wanted to go with me," he looked down again.

A grin spread across Ella's face as she chuckled. "My, my, Mr. Crosby, are you asking me out on a date?" she teased him, hoping to bring back a lighter mood. She watched as Sidney blushed and rubbed the back of his neck. "I'd love too," she answered and kissed his cheek.

Sidney's head shot up and he shot her a heart melting lopsided grin. "Good, because I wasn't going to take no for an answer," he joked back and nudged her shoulder.

Ella gasped suddenly. "He jokes again! Ring the alarm, he jokes!" she yelled happily.

Sidney pouted and then pounced on her suddenly. He started to tickle her, making Ella fall back on her bed with Sidney on top of her still tickling her.

"Stop! Stop! I give, I give," she said in between gasps for breaths and let out a loud laugh.

The two stopped abruptly when they heard a rather loud cough from the door. A blush spread across Sidney's face when he saw his mother and Norma looking at them with an amused look. Ella blushed when she realized they were in a compromising position. Sidney was on top of Ella, his face really close to hers and her top riding up.

She coughed and Sidney got off of her. "Hey Grandma," she said awkwardly and got up to fix her top. "Uh, yeah this is really awkward."

Norma just smiled. "Ella, dear, this is Trina. She's a good friend of the family's and Sid's mom. Trina, you remember my granddaughter, Ella."

Ella smiled; she could certainly see the resemblance between Sidney and his mom. "It's nice to meet you," she said shyly and stuck out her hand. Ella was taken by surprise when Trina hugged her instead of taking her hand.

"It's good to meet you again. I remember when you and Sid used to play together when you were just six years old. Now look at you," Trina said warmly and broke the hug to take a good look at Ella.

Craning her head to the side, Ella wondered what Trina meant by her and Sidney playing together when they were little. She was sure that she just met him a few days ago, she didn't remember playing with or meeting Sidney before her arrival at Cole Harbour. But then again she could hardly remember much of her life before New York.

Ella just laughed and looked back at Sidney, who just looked content. Turning her attention back to Trina, she was asked how long she planned on staying in Cole Harbour.

"I'm not really sure yet. I was hoping by the end of the summer, I'd have enough saved up and probably go back to New York," Ella answered truthfully and watched Norma's face fall.

"Just until the… summer?" Norma asked softly. She really hoped that Ella would stay longer. Enough that Ella would open up and tell her really what's been going on and why she's been so secretive.

Ella bit her lip and looked down. She didn't really plan on staying too long, she didn't want to burden her grandparents with her troubles and problems. She just needed a place to stay until she got back on her feet and her grandparents were the only ones she knew to run to.

"I'm hungry, why don't we start dinner?" Sid asked and wrapped his arms around Ella's shoulder in a friendly way. "Let's go Ella. I could eat a horse right now," he said and led her out of her room.

"Thanks," she whispered.

"No problem," he just said simply.
♠ ♠ ♠
53 readers, 12 subscribers and 4 comments.
Such a huge gap.
I don't mean to bitch, but I'd like to have 4 more comments before I update the next chapter.
Thank you to everyone that read, subscribed and commented.