‹ Prequel: In Fate's Hands
Status: Completed :D/D:

What Are You Waiting For?

Chapter 13

“Ethan, what the hell?” Riley said.

I directed my attention to Riley, who was getting bugged my Ethan. He was walking close to Riley. Too close. I kept my mouth shut, though I wanted to scream at him. I instead smiled when Riley pushed him away.

“What, I can’t just walk on a sidewalk?” Ethan asked, smirking, having that mischievous look in his eyes that just screamed no good.

“Not that close to me, you can’t.” Riley said, stepping a little further away from him.

Ian’s arm wrapped around my waist. I looked at him and he was smiling. I smiled in return, mimicking his actions, squeezing his side gently.

Almost in lightening speed, Ethan’s hand swooped down and attached itself to Riley’s.

I was about to scream at him and beat him senseless. He can not do that to my best friend.

I resisted, though, when I noticed that Riley wasn’t fighting back, he wasn’t doing anything to stop Ethan from doing that.

My mind was racing with all sorts of confusing thoughts. I could’ve swore Riley despised Ethan more than anything, and now they’re holding hands? And having a normal conversation without shouting and an excessive use of profane language?

The way they acted around each other was kind of…cute. I hated to put Ethan and cute in the same thought, but I couldn’t help myself. They hit it off well, what can I say.

“So could you ever see those two dating?” Ian asked out of nowhere.

I wanted to say no, absolutely not, but that was only my protective nature over Riley kicking in. That would only be what I want for Riley, not what Riley wants. I can’t run his life for him. “Yeah, it’s a possibility.” I decided on, making my answer more neutral than anything.

We got into the theatre and they started fighting over who was paying. Ethan pulled money out and ordered two tickets, but Riley is relentless.

“No! You’re not paying for me!” Riley yelled, causing a scene.

“Too late.” Ethan said in his cocky tone, smirking at Riley.

I just shook my head and bought tickets for Ian and I, following Riley and Ethan into the theatre.

They chose to sit a couple rows down from us. I almost told Ian we were moving, that I wanted to watch them to make sure they weren’t doing anything, but I slowly let it go.

During one of the more romantic opening scenes of the movie, I felt Ian’s fingers tickling my thigh, going further and further up.

I suppressed any sound that was threatening to come out of my throat and grabbed his hand. Even though it was dark I could tell that Ian had a totally sexy, seductive look on his face. One that I know I can’t resist.

I grabbed the back of his neck and my lips found his almost instantly. He crawled out of his seat and straddled my hips, just making the tight squeeze comfortably.

I saw a light shine from behind us.

I parted my lips from Ian’s and pushed him into his own seat.

“What the-” Ian started.

“Security.” I whispered. “Sorry.”

“It’s okay, sweetie. That was perfect enough for me.” Ian said, looking at me with a smile on his face.

I kissed him once more before actually paying attention to the movie, rather, what was going on in front of us.

They were so…natural. And I’d be lying if I said that it didn’t piss me off.

Riley rested his head on Ethan’s shoulder as Ethan put his arm around Riley.

I almost couldn’t handle this, then I stopped myself.

Was I…jealous? Of Ethan?

No, that’s awkward. I’ve never liked Riley like that…and besides, I have Ian, and he’s all I need. I can’t get anything messed up about this, we have it too good with each other.

I wanted to tell him that I loved him, but it’s not a good time, not the perfect time. I wanted the first time that I admitted my love to him to be special. Christmas popped into my head, but I took it back, thinking that to be too cliché, though perfect at the same time.

I focused back on the couple in front of us, and at the wrong time.

There they were, their lips pressed against each other in an action I threatened to call a kiss. I didn’t want to call it just that, though, because kisses were shared with two people who have feelings for each other. I doubt Ethan has any sort of feelings for Riley at all.

After the movie was over, I pushed off my bad mood and replaced it with my normal upbeat mood.

“So what did you think of the movie?” Ian asked the three of us.

“It was adorable. It’s so sad that she died in the end, though. They made such a cute couple.” Riley said.

I nodded, smiling, my eyes falling and seeing that Riley’s hand was still in Ethan’s.

I sighed lightly and cuddled into Ian as we walked. I really hope Riley’s not bringing Ethan home.

Since it was still afternoon, we all went down the street a ways and sat in the local coffee shop, warming up with lattes and hot chocolate. The four of us were actually having decent conversation, Ethan proving that he wasn’t that bad of a guy, but I still didn’t like him. This whole thing could be a scam. He could just be doing this to set up Riley to make him think that he wants to be with him, only to crush him completely.

We walked out of the coffee shop and headed towards home, seeing as how we spent a good three hours just in the coffee shop, and it was starting to get dark outside, the moon just barely showing in the sky.

We dropped off Ian first, and Riley and Ethan let us have a little time to ourselves to say bye.

I hugged him tightly, burrowing my face into his shoulder, his hair tickling my nose slightly.

“Hey.” Ian whispered in my ear through my hair.

I looked up at him.

He pressed his lips to mine gently, keeping his hand on the side of my face. “I love you.”

One of the biggest smiles I’ve ever smiled took over my lips as I hugged him even tighter, feeling the urge to cry tears of joy.

The kiss I planted on his lips was filled with all the passion and love I was feeling at that moment. He loves me. It doesn’t even seem real. It seems like a movie, like this was scripted to happen, and I’m going to go off set after this take.

But that isn’t the case. He actually loves me, and I love him all the same.

“I love you, too, Ian.” I said, unable to stop smiling.

He kissed me once more. “You should probably get going.”

“I should, but I don’t want to.” I said, playing with his hair, giving him puppy eyes. “It’s only evening, we still have so much time.”

“Sleep over here tonight?” I asked, giving him a crooked smile.

He nodded, kissing me again before letting me go. “You can show up whenever, no need to call.”

I nodded, letting my fingers slowly slip out of Ian’s grasp before walking towards Riley and Ethan.

“Sleepover’s here tonight.” I said, pointing to Ian’s house behind me.

“Alright. Lets go, then.” Riley said, still holding Ethan’s hand. I felt like such a third wheel.

We finally got to our house, and Ethan said he could find his way from here. Their goodbye wasn’t too drastic: a hug and Riley got a kiss on the cheek.

“So, why Ethan?” I asked flat out.

Riley shrugged, stuffing clothes into his bag. “He just kind of fit, I guess.”

“I just don’t think it’s a good idea.” I said, sounding uneasy. “He’s not gonna change who he is over the course of a couple hours.”

He sighed. “I know, but hey, why not take the offer when it’s right there?”

“I’m just worried about you, Riley. I don’t want him hurting you.”

“I won’t let him.” Riley said, throwing his backpack over his shoulder. “Ready to go?”

I nodded and got up. “Ready as I’ll ever be.”
♠ ♠ ♠
DON'T WORRY.
This RileyxEthan thing has nothing to do with In Fate's Hands yet.
Just a little history, I guess you could call it.
Just don't worry about anything, it'll all work itself out.

<333