‹ Prequel: In Fate's Hands
Status: Completed :D/D:

What Are You Waiting For?

Chapter 14

I think it’s safe to say that I’m the happiest guy ever.

Nick loves me, and I love him, and it’s such an amazing feeling to be loved.

I got into the house and squealed, my mom jumping a foot in the air.

“Ian! What in God’s name are you screaming about?” Mom asked, trying to calm herself.

I semi-ran over to the couch, sat next to her, and hugged her tightly. “Nick loves me.”

She relaxed her muscles and hugged me back. “That’s wonderful, sweetie.”

“I just can’t believe it. I never thought I’d hear those words. It feels so amazing, to be loved.” I said, in a slight dreamy state. “Nick and Riley are sleeping over tonight, is that okay?”

She laughed and ruffled my hair a little. “They’ve been over here every other day, so why not.”

I kissed Mom’s cheek. “Thanks, Mom! I love you.”

She laughed. “I love you too, sweetie.”

I shot up off the couch and went to clean up my room a little from the last sleepover, two days ago. The blankets were still everywhere, old soda cans and empty chip bags laying all over the place. I usually don’t keep my room this messy, but I haven’t been home to see it enough to the point that it bugs me.

I folded the last blanket and put it at the bottom of my bed, thinking that Riley might actually use it instead of crawling up on my bed with Nick and I.

I laughed to myself, doubting that greatly.

I skipped into the kitchen and grabbed a box of brownie mix, thinking that it would be a nice surprise for Nick and Riley when they get here. I quickly whisked up the batter and poured it into the pan.

“Hey Mom, do you want any brownie batter?” I asked, licking the spatula I used to scrape the bowl.

“No thanks.” She called out.
I shrugged. “Your loss.”

The brownies got done baking at the perfect time, right as a knock sounded against the front door.

“It’s for me!” I yelled, running to the front door. I flung the door open and immediately attached myself to Nick, kissing his cheek, knowing how much affection in front of parental figures upsets him.

“Hi.” I said, beaming, letting to of Nick and going to hug Riley.

After our greetings, they came in the house and set their stuff in my room.

“Brownies?” Nick asked, sniffing the air.

“Fresh out of the oven. Come on.” I grabbed his hand and we ran down the hall into the kitchen.

“What’s got you in such high spirits, Ian?” Riley asked, laughing as we came to a stop in front of the steamy, delicious brownies.”

I looked at him with a disapproving face. “Do you have to ask?”

He just smiled. “No, I guess not.”

I smiled back at him and grabbed a knife, cutting the brownies into squares of unequal proportions. Naturally, we all went for the biggest pieces.

“We’re pigs.” Nick said, smiling at all of us, cheeks full of brownie.

“Yeah, damn proud, too.” Riley said, licking his fingers clean.

“Wanna go up in your room, Ian? Grab a few cans of soda and kick it?” Nick asked, putting his arm around my waist.

“Yeah, definitely. Any preferences?” I asked, opening my fridge.

“Whatever works.” They said in unison, walking down the hall to my room.

I swear they need to be separated.

I headed towards my room and Nick met me halfway.

“Hey, could we talk about something before we go in there?” He asked quietly.

I nodded. “Sure. What’s going on, hun?” I put my hand on his upper arm, looking at him affectionately.

“I have a really bad feeling about Ethan and Riley, Ethan more specifically. I don’t want him hurting Riley by luring him in and then just crushing him. Riley doesn’t deserve to be treated that way. I think we should talk to him about it and try to get him to stay away from Ethan.” He said, slow at first, sounding unsure, then becoming more sure of his plan.

I looked at my feet. “I know where you’re coming from, Nick, and I don’t get a good feeling about Ethan either, but I don’t want to totally interfere with Riley’s life. It’s not our life to lead, and he has to learn to make his own mistakes, no matter how dumb or stupid“.

“I just don’t want to see him hurt.” He said quietly.

I hugged him. “I know, sweetie, I don’t want to see it either, but something tells me that we’re not going to sway his opinion.”

“Can we at least try?” Nick begged, giving me puppy eyes, putting his forehead on mine.

I smiled, almost giving in. “Nick, lets just see where this goes. Who knows, this might turn out to be good. Just let it go for tonight, please?” I gave him puppy eyes right back, and I’ve been told that my puppy eyes could win over a drill sergeant.

When Nick sighed, I knew I won him over. I kissed him. “Thank you.”

“You’re lucky I love you so much.” He said, trying not to smile.

“Which still seems surreal to me.” I said, walking with him to my room.

“But it’s not.” Nick said, turning my door knob.

“Which is what makes it so amazing.” I said, lacing my fingers with his as we walked into my room and shut the door.

“Took you guys long enough.” Riley said, taking a drink of his Wild Cherry Pepsi.

“We had a moment, excuse you.” I scoffed, flipping my hair, and sitting on my bed next to Nick.

He just laughed at me and looked at us. “So what do you want to do.”

I glanced at my bedside table, seeing a deck of cards, then looked at Riley. “I challenge you to Speed.”
“Bring it.” He said, scooting on the floor.

I followed his actions, pulling Nick down to sit behind me while I sat in between his legs.

“You’re going to be my chair and backrest, kay?” I told Nick, sneaking a kiss before the game started.

Every time I won, Riley wanted a rematch. He’s such a sore loser. It got kind of repetitive when I started winning every time.

“I’m bored.” I declared, leaning back into Nick, who wrapped his arms around me so he could keep me there.

I heard someone’s phone beep from a text message. I automatically knew it was Riley when his face got red. He hurried to his bag and grabbed his phone, checking the text.

“Is that from your Ethan baby?” I asked in a teasing manner.

He stuck his tongue out at me. “So what if it is?”

I just smiled and shook my head, looking at Nick, who tried hiding his displeasure.

I squeezed his leg, starting to massage it, giving him a concerned look. He just gave me a half smile and tightened his grip on my waist.

“Goodnight.“ Riley left the room with his phone, taking the blanket.

Nick and I looked at each other and sighed. “He’s getting himself way too far into this already.” Nick said.

“I still don’t want to talk to him, not just yet. It’s too early to judge anything.” I said.

“How is it too early? We know how Ethan acts, he’s a slut, he goes after anyone he wants. I swear if his hands to near Riley in any sort of inappropriate-”

I cut him off with a kiss. I know he’s concerned, but he’s consuming himself in Riley’s life, and that’s not good.

I pulled away from his lips. “Just back off, let him do his thing. He’ll figure out soon enough that he’s making a mistake. Yes, tears will probably be shed, but it’s his fault for falling for something he knew he shouldn’t have in the first place.” I explained quietly, stroking his cheek.

“It’s just hard not to make myself involved. We’ve always looked out for each other, and now that he’s doing something that could potentially hurt him, I’m worried.”
I cuddled into his chest, crawling up onto his lap. “Don’t worry about it, baby. He’s safe. If we see anything going wrong with them, we’ll do something, okay?” I traced patterns on his chest, staring at the floor.

Nick took a big breath in, then releasing it slowly. “Alright.” He kissed the top of my head and rested his cheek there.

I don’t know when I fell asleep, but I know that there’s no other place I’d rather fall asleep than in Nick’s arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love all of you guys <3