‹ Prequel: In Fate's Hands
Status: Completed :D/D:

What Are You Waiting For?

Chapter 19

Nick and I got to his house, Riley following, and I couldn’t keep my hands off of Nick. We were heading up to his room until Riley grabbed our shoulders and held us back.

“No, no, no. Not tonight. At least not here.” Riley said, knowing exactly what we were
planning on doing.

“Rilleeeeeeyyy!” Nick and I whined.

“No.” He said sternly, out of his normal character.

My face fell, knowing that he was taking this whole Ethan situation the hardest out of all three of us. Of course he’d want some time to himself.

I hugged Riley. “I’m sorry, hun.”

“What for?” He asked.

“I, well, we, should’ve known that you’d be taking what happened today harder than we are.” I said, then leaning my head up to look at him. “You really cared about him, didn’t you?”

Riley sighed into me, hugging me tighter. “He was a really good actor.” He said quietly, sniffling.

I put my chin on his shoulder, rubbing his back, comforting him. I led him to the couch, sitting down next to him, Nick next to me.

“Why did that all have to be a scam? Why did the perfect guy have to be the biggest dick in the school. I should’ve known better.” Riley said quietly, probably more to himself than to us. He looked down at the floor, studying the sea foam green carpet that covered his entire living room floor.

I said nothing, though I wanted so bad to tell him what Ethan really feels for him.

“Well Ethan isn’t going to touch you again, we’ll make sure of it.” Nick said. “I’ll kick his ass if he does.”

I felt uneasy about that last part.

-----------

Why didn’t Ms. Williams just make Ethan’s suspension a full week? It would’ve been so much better. Three days definitely wasn’t enough for Nick and Riley to cool off from Monday’s events.

Friday morning is here way too fast and I’m legitimately scared for Riley and Nick, even Ethan. I don’t want another fight breaking out between them; Nick’s battle wounds are just starting to go away.

“Mom, you should call Nick and Riley and me out of school today.” I said, putting a spoonful of Reese’s Puffs in my mouth.

“Why would I do that, honey?” She asked, laughing.

“Nick is going to beat Ethan to a bloody pulp, Riley right alongside helping him out.” I said bluntly. “And it’s a Friday, anyways. It’s not like it’s the middle of the school week.”

She sighed, smiling. “I can’t call Nick and Riley in, Riley’s parents do. You’d have to convince his parents.”

I sighed, putting my head on the table. “Fine.” I know Riley’s parents wouldn’t go for that.

“You better get dressed, or you’re going to be late for school.” Mom called from her bedroom.

I finished the milk in my bowl and placed it in the sink, running up to my room and grabbed the first pair of pants I could find, along with the first shirt. I don’t care this morning, the only thing I took time on was my hair. I always have to make my hair look good. I have to re-dye the blonde in my bangs, though. It’s starting to turn a gross color. Maybe I can get Nick to do a little blonde in his hair, too.

I laughed to myself. Nick wouldn’t do that.

To my liking, I grabbed my favorite pair of skinny jeans and a tight Mayday Parade shirt. I slipped on my Converse and grabbed my coat and bag, looking my hair over one last time before telling Mom I was ready. I grabbed the two containers of cookies that I baked last night, leaving two at home. I was on a rampage last night. I barely got any sleep, and I wouldn’t have slept if Mom didn’t make me stop.

“Are you okay, sweetie?” Mom asked, noticing that my hands were shaking slightly.

“Hmm? Oh, yeah, I’m fine. Just cold.” I said, smiling at her.

She gave me a look that said that she didn’t believe me, but didn’t press the issue. She knows when and when not to go on about things. And she basically knows why I’m shaking.

When we pulled up to the school, Mom leaned over the center console and hugged me, kissing my cheek. “Just settle down, honey. Everything is going to be just fine. I’ll see you after school.”

I smiled at her and squeezed her once more before getting out of the car.

I looked over to where the twins parked, and their car was already there. They’re usually not here until after I’ve been here for a while.

I got to my locker and Nick or Riley weren’t there. Now this was getting weird. I looked up and down the halls, and there was still no sign of them. I couldn’t even hear them talking, and I didn’t even think to check if Ethan and Nathan were here.

I set my stuff outside the classroom, leaving the cookies in my locker so no one would steal them. I took off down the hall, searching for any signs of Nick or Riley, even Ethan. Those three alone is enough to send me in a panic attack.

I pulled out my phone and texted Nick, asking him where he was. When he answered that he was in the bathroom with Riley, I breathed a sigh of relief that Ethan wasn’t there. I ran to the bathroom and saw Nick comforting Riley, who had tears running down his face. His cheek looked red, too.

“What happened?” I asked, kneeling down by Riley.

Riley sniffled and wiped his cheeks, looking at me. “Ethan…Ethan came up to me. He tried telling me that he wanted to be with me…” He sniffled again, sounding like he was on the verge of sobbing again. “I said no and pushed him away, telling him that I don’t believe him. Then he…” He broke down again, leaning into Nick.

“He slapped him after Riley told him all that and started telling Riley how he’s just a little piece of shit and how no one’s ever going to be with him. He walked off, out of the school.” Nick said quietly.

“Probably to get wasted.” Riley added on.

“Shh, it’s okay. Don’t talk.” I said, sitting next to Riley, rubbing his back, pushing his hair out of his eyes. I shifted my gaze to Nick, who looked worried. “Ethan’s probably not coming back, is he?”

Nick shook his head. I nodded and put my attention to Riley again. “Are you gonna be okay, hun? Or do you want us to go to the office and ask if you can go home?”

He sniffled and wiped his eyes. “I think I’ll be okay, as long as I don’t see him again.”

“I’m going to go get our stuff from our lockers, okay?” Nick said, leaning over to give me a kiss before getting off the ground.

“I got my stuff, you just need to go to Riley’s.” I said.

He nodded and left.

I scooted closer to Riley and put my arm around his shoulders. “What did Ethan say to you?”

He looked at me. “He said that he wanted to be with me, that he’s a dick and he shouldn’t have done anything that he did, blah blah bullshit.” Riley said, his voice getting angrier.

I sighed, knowing that Ethan would kill me, but I just had to get it out.

“What if I told you that everything he said was true?” I asked softly.

He looked at me like I was insane. “What?”

“What do you think we were talking about that one day before Nick beat him up?” I asked again, keeping my voice calm.

Riley hit his head on the wall. “Really?”

“Really.” I said. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier, but Ethan didn’t want me to tell anyone.”

Riley started laughing a little. “Well he’s gonna have to pay for what he did. I’m not gonna give in that easily. He deserves to suffer for all the shit he’s put me through.” Riley’s arms wrapped around me. “Thanks for telling me, Ian.”

“Just don’t tell him that I told you anything. Act like you know nothing.” I said.

“Know nothing about what?” Riley asked, smirking, looking devious.

I laughed and helped him off the ground. “Exactly.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait!
These past couple days have been busy for me D:
Happy New Year everybody!! :D

<333333