‹ Prequel: In Fate's Hands
Status: Completed :D/D:

What Are You Waiting For?

Chapter 9

I really didn’t want to do that to him, but it’s really the best for the both of us.

I looked at the slowly closing bathroom door, contemplating whether to go in there and comfort him or not and take back what I said.

I took a step toward the bathroom door, and once I did that, I couldn’t stop myself.

I wouldn’t be the same person I was two days ago if Ian wasn’t in my life like I wanted him to be. He’s almost always on my mind, and I feel like we’ve known each other for weeks instead of one day. Should it really matter how long we’ve known each other, though? If we feel the way we do about each other, then why not take advantage of it? Why waste our time just being friends when we can spend that time being so much more.

I flew into the bathroom and saw Ian sobbing on the bathroom floor, hiding his face in his arms.

I slid down the wall next to him and hugged him tight against my side. He must’ve known who I was, since he grabbed onto my arms tightly.

“Nick.” Ian called out quietly, barely audible through his sobs.

“I’m sorry, Ian, I’m such a-”

“Do you believe in love at first sight?” He asked abruptly, cutting off my apology.

I was never a believer of any of that stuff. Love develops overtime, it flourishes, it just doesn’t pop up one day out of the blue.

This is definitely a major exception.

I pressed him tighter to me. “I’m starting to think so.”

He looked up at me with bloodshot eyes, sniffling, wiping his cheeks. “Why would you say any of that, any of what you said out in the hall, and then come running back in here?”

“I’m a dumb ass.” I said.

His body shook with slight laughter. “No. You were just trying to make this better, make this seem like a legit relationship.”

“It didn’t work.” I tilted his face to stare right into my eyes. “Fuck getting to know each other. We can do that as we go. I know a good thing when I see it, and you? You’re amazing.”

Ian smiled, more tears falling from his eyes, and he pressed his lips to mine tenderly.

“I’m sorry I did this to you.” I said, pushing his hair out of his face.

“Don’t be sorry, sweetie. Just tell me that you’ll never do anything this stupid again.” He put his hand on my neck and kissed me again.

“You guys disgust me.” I heard Ethan’s voice behind us as he walked into the bathroom.

“Well at least we don’t whip it out at every chance we get.” I said.

“What’s with that Riley kid?” Ethan asked, avoiding my comment, knowing it was true. Everyone does.

“What, why doesn’t he want to get with you?” I asked, standing up, Ian following, slipping his hand around my waist. “He has more common sense than that”

We walked out of the bathroom, not saying another word to Ethan, then heading back to class. We transitioned from waist holding to hand holding.

When the whole class’s attention was on us, we just smiled and took our seats.

“Why are you two so late?” The teacher asked.

“We had some personal issues that needed resolving, sorry about that.” Ian said.

“You can mark us late if you want.” I added on.

She looked between the both of us and just smiled, going on with the lesson.

I looked over at Ian and grabbed his hand from in front of me, squeezing it tightly before going back to taking notes.

Riley poked me with his pen, getting my attention.

I looked over at him and he was beaming. He wanted the details.

“We made up, apologized, and kissed. That’s about it.” I said.

He gave me a disapproving look, like I was lying to him.

“I’m serious! That’s all that happened! Well, then Ethan came in and asked about you. We told him that you wouldn’t fuck him because you have enough common sense not to.” I said.

Riley laughed, and the teacher cleared her throat at us.

We both got silent and she went back to teaching.

By the time lunch came, practically the whole school knew about Ian and I. I could honestly care less. I don’t want our relationship to be a secret, that’s not what relationships are about.

All the girls giggled and all the guys scowled and shoved us. We mostly ignored the shoving, though I was on edge the whole time. I wanted to beat their faces in for even touching Ian. I restrained myself, though, and just went to lunch.

“What’s in your container today?” I asked him as we went through the crowd, getting no food, and sitting at our table.

“Oh, these are all for you. I made them last night, and they’re just what you asked for.” Ian said, smiling widely.

I took the Tupperware and opened the lid, seeing the chocolate chip muffins I asked for yesterday.

“Oh, you didn’t have to do this for me.” I said, pulling him into a tight hug.
“I know I didn’t have to, but I wanted to. I wanted to make you happy.” He said, sounding a little embarrassed.

I pushed Ian away slightly so I could see his face. “You don’t have to do anything except sit there and look gorgeous, Ian. You don’t have to do any of this extra stuff. It’s too much.”

Ian blushed a dark shade of red. “Well, I use cooking and baking as a stress relief. It works amazingly. I’m not just going to give up cooking all together, so expect things almost daily.”

I sighed, smiling a sideways smile. “Fine, you win.”

Ian kissed me. “How about we both win and call it even?”

“How about you two both get a fucking room where no one else can see you.”

I turned around and saw a jock walking away from us, but snickering with his little jock buddies.

“Why don’t you grow a pair and learn to accept them for who they are and not who you want them to be.” I heard Chase’s voice say.

Chase is Ethan’s fuck buddy. We just say they’re going out, but Ethan hates the idea of relationships, so he just calls their thing friends with benefits. He’s usually just as much of an ass as Ethan, but sometimes he sticks up for us whenever someone’s talking shit. He’s sketchy, though, I don’t trust him at all.

What Chase said shut the guys up for about five minutes. Then I heard them saying shit again from behind us.

Riley finally got to the table and looked flustered. “I seriously cannot stand that guy. I kicked him in the fucking balls and he’s still relentless.” Riley sighed and tore a part of his giant soft pretzel. “He was basically feeling me up in the lunch line, pressing himself right up against me, claiming that the crowd behind him was doing it. Bullshit.” He continued to rant. “Fucking pig.”

Ian and I stayed quiet as Riley let all his anger out. He really doesn’t like Ethan.

After school. Ian followed me out to the twins’ car to wait for them, since they took forever to get out of the school.

Ian and I were cuddling against the wind, which was a bit chilly.

“What are you doing tonight?” I asked Ian, playing with his hair.
“A crap ton of homework. Sorry, hun.” Ian kissed my nose.

“It’s alright, really. I doubt Riley would want to deal with us anyways.” I smirked, looking at Riley, who just rolled his eyes.

I saw the twins finally coming out of the school, walking towards the car.

Ian and I looked at each other, embraced, and tenderly kissed each other before the twins told us to break it up and save it for the bedroom.

I just rolled my eyes, tightening my hug. “I’ll see you tomorrow then?”

He nodded and kissed me once more before letting go of me and going to his mom’s car, which was waiting in one of the front parking spaces.

“You didn’t listen to us?” Keegan asked me as we got in the car.

“Since when do I ever listen to you?” I asked as I buckled my seatbelt.

They both shrugged and took off out of the parking lot.

“You two practically make me squeal whenever you’re together. You two are just perfect for each other, I swear. I’ve never seen two people connect so well in that short of an amount of time.” Riley said quietly.

My cheeks got slightly warm in response to his comment.

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get completely used to comments.
♠ ♠ ♠
:D
Happiness for Jones <3 Because he's sick D:

<3