Unitl I Break

Chapter 19: Finger licking takes a whole new meani

PAST

Once Seville reached the main stage everything became a blur; literally. Chaos was the only way to describe the situation unfolding. No one or anything had gotten to be were it needed to be, despite Seville having made sure everything was ready, it seemed to undo its self. Ryan was still in the ER, they couldn’t get him to stop puking, the first band had manage to blow out a high end during sound check, how that happen Seville would still like to know, some guitars, some very nice, very expensive vintage guitars had gone missing, and to top it all off Seville had broken a nail.

Everyone was busy, the second John saw Seville approaching he took off only managing a very hurried, “Gotta go babe.” In the mean time Jack had somehow ended up working stage sound, Claire had ended up doing My Chem’s sound instead of Seville, and Gina was doing the WOJ checks, leaving Mad Moli to man the fort all by herself, which she made chance to remind everyone of all summer long. Looking back Seville had a sudden understanding as to why so many of the roadies had seemed unfriendly when she would go as a paying customer. But at the present moment she had bigger things to deal with and everything was going aerie

Even the bands had begun to get snippy but they always had complexes, it was just annoying when the unknowns thought they had the right to shout at the help.

“there’s too much goddam hiss back here!” one obnoxious guitar player was shouting at Jack who in turn was radioing Seville that, “ This crazy fuck says there’s hiss…”

“I promise Jack it sounds great, and there’s no fucking hiss, I took the reading like seven times I know what I’m fucking doing so tell him to fuck off!” she shouted back at him
“Head of House says its fine dude calm the fuck down and finish your shitty ass tuning.”

Jack shouted at the band member and went back to finishing his leveling. But the band had decided that wasn’t okay and continued shouting at him; Jack finally just raised the wlakie talkie in the air and transmitted their comments for Seville to hear; at which point she dropped everything at the head and marched to the stage in a rage.

“Here, she’s the head, she’s the boss talk to her Fuckhead!!” he shouted as Ville approached. “What the fuck is your issue?!”

“My issue is the shitty sound we’re getting!”

“Well let me tell you something I’ve taken and retaken readings and the sound from the house is great maybe its your shitty ass playing that is making it sound bad!” she shouted as she got all up in his face, Sound people all around gathering behind her.

John showed up mysteriously as if on cue in the crowd and tried to calm to ranting. “Ville what’s the problem here?” he intervened coming from behind Seville, but the lanky band guy with bad teeth answered for her, “the problem is, John, that your sound people are terrible, they wont listen to us it’s ridiculous… I expected Warped soundies to be better than third rate club kids,”

John began, “I’m sorry you feel that way how about we fix the problem, you play your damn show and be on your way.”

“well whose gonna do sound because that bitch sure as hell can’t” he said flailing his arm in Seville’s direction. Seville jumped up she was ready to throw down the only thing stopping her was Jack’s brute arm that had come out from behind her to hold her back.

“okay okay,” John said how he stayed so calm no one knew because usually he had the worst temper, “ you don’t need to say things like that to them okay so just go get back on stage and it’ll be taken care of.” And so hesitantly they went back to their positions John stayed with Jack while Seville retreated to the house booth. They tried again and finally John called Seville back to the stage.

“John they’re fucking crazy it sounds like shit because they sound like shit! It has nothing to do with the equipment!” she then picked up on of the guitars they used to check the sound plugged in and wailed a rift like no other, the band members jaws dropped, she stopped unplugged, “John the sound is fine and I’m tired of this shit.”

“Calm down Seville okay guys she’s right, I think it sounds fine and I think you need to start playing now or not play at all, we don’t have time to mess with this anymore I have more important things to worry about, besides your lucky to be on the main stage as locals anyways.”

The lead singer said “Whatever, “ grabbed a mic and headed on stage the guitar player would have been wise to do the same and follow suit but he decided one more comment was necessary, “whoever let a fucking whore like her do sound is dumbass.”

And began walking away, John just about jumped him but Seville beat him to the punch as she spun him around by the shoulder and nailed his jaw with a right hook. Applause from the observing roadies and the argument was settled though she had left the guitar player in tears. Pansy. Seville walked back to the front of the house while John headed off to finish the other million things he needed to do and the band began to play for a sparse audience.

Though it felt good to put that kid in his place, it only made the day more difficult as she babied her hand but worked without utterance of complaint. Mid-day she gave in and pulled her meds from her pocket, it was all just to much for her to bare, shed never taken more than she needed before but a few extra anti-depressants couldn’t hurt or so she figured. So she downed them with a swig of water and went back to work.
The trouble and chaos became a blur in her mind as her fingers worked the boards band after band after band. Around 4 she lucked out Ryan was finally back and strangely capable of working after having upchucked all night long, but she didn’t question it and embraced the opportunity, not that she got a break but it was at least a change of pace.

“Oh MY GOD!!!” Claire screamed as she leapt onto Seville’s back knocking both of them to the ground laughing. “Well hello to you too Claire glad to see at least one of us has some energy.”

“Oh come you know that girl is always awake,” Gina chimed in as she approached Frank’s arm wrapped about her waist.

“So hows your hand?” Frank asked with a smirk

“My what? Oh yeah that…” Seville trailed

“Oh shit yeah ! we heard about that!” Gina said getting all excited as she remembered the story. “I saw that guy earlier today and damn! Seville you’re one tough bitch!”

“yeah well I’m not exactly proud of it but …”

“Oh come on Seville that guy had it coming form what Jack told me…I’m surprised you beat him to the punch…literally.” Frank said taking a sip of his diet coke.

“you would never talk to me like that would you Frankie?” Gina asked him lovingly with puppy dog eyes. “Never babe, never.” And then they started making out.

“Oh puleeze Gina,” Claire began, “you know they’ve been like this all day,” she said in an aside to Seville who just laughed, “Geez Frank been holding it in a while eh?” Seville asked as the two separated, “you have no idea…” he replied lighting up a cigarette.

“Oh God,” Claire said smacking herself in the head, “wait till your not in public okay, otherwise im gonna have to use my kung-fu on you…” then she began going into all the cliché crouching tiger hidden dragon sorta poses, Seville joined in the karateness; God she loved these people.

“I hate to tell you but your kung-fu sucks Claire,” said a slowly approaching Gerard as he pulled a cigarette from the corner of his mouth.

“your just jealous,” she spit back sticking out her tongue.
Seville felt her heart flutter. Was this seriously happening, she hadn’t done the whole crush thing in ages.

“heard you kicked some guy’s ass today?” Gerard said after greeting Frankie with a manly hand shake/pounding thing. Reaching for her slightly swollen hand, Gerard asked, “How’s the hand?” knowing as he brought it up from her side for closer examination that it hurt her, it was given away by a slight wince as smiled and said, “couldn’t be better!”

“okay badass,” he said once again pulling the cigarette from his mouth then returning it, “so it’s fine if I do this…” he said lightly pressing her fingers down. Though no sound escaped her lips, her eyes squeezed tightly, her arm tensed, and she grit her teeth. “see fine…” she said gingerly pulling it away.

“Right…” Gina said.

“Alright well we’ll see ya later guys.” Gerard said turning towards Gina, Frank, and Claire, as he wrapped his arm around Seville’s waist. “Wait? Where are you going Gee you should come get dinner with us?” Seville inquired.

“Sure I will but first sugar, we are going to get your hand looked at.”

“Gerard, it’s fine really…” Seville said raising her hand in the air and attempting to wiggle her fingers about and failing miserably.

“come on…” Gerard said pushing her along to the nearest medical station as they bid farewell to their hungry friends.