Unitl I Break

Chapter 39: Tree huggers

TO MIKEY:

Mikey nervously entered the coffee house he was supposed to meet willow at before their day –o-fun. I say nervously because he felt relatively guilty. He loved Carmella, but there had always been something about Willow, something he couldn’t put a name to.

They had met while he was working at Barnes and Nobles; Willow was Journalism major at NYU. She was coy yet spunky, well mannered, but outspoken, and she was funny as hell and almost as creative as Gerard (which is saying something). After things started happening for the band they managed to stay relatively in touch, emails every couple months that sort of thing, but they had lost touch over the last year, that is until he ran into her, in of all places, a Barnes and Nobles in Hoboken. She was reaching for a metaphysics book he had just set down.

“Sorry, “ she said politely as she reached for the book too soon, grabbing it while it was still in his hand, causing Mikey to, in turn, drop the book, as was his clumsy nature. It took all of a second for Mikey to realize her and flip out, quickly throwing his lanky arms about her and spinning her in the air, “TREE!” he yelled, a nickname he thought was oh so much more original than Willow’s birth name. That was that, this time they kept in better contact though, especially after having several coffee dates to catch up on missed times and exchanged every and any media of contact. And though they’d been busy, Mikey could not get her out of his head. When he was with her he felt something, something he had never felt with Carmella. It came from deep inside him; simply inexplicable, Gerard and Ray both said it was love, Bob had said it was the flu. Either way, Mikey was afraid that he didn’t love Mella like he should, but rather that he was just in love with the familiar…. He had a feeling Carmella felt the same way too, but he still felt guilty.

Willow sat at a table in the corner of the shop near a large window, nose buried deep in a book. This was typical, especially lately as Willow was almost done with her Master’s degree in Publication and Editing; she was always working on something. She looked up as the bell on the door rang friendly welcoming Mikey into its being. Walked over to the table and gave her a big hug as she shoved her book into her bag.

“Coffee first?” she said suggesting they grab one for the road.

Mikey , jumped up a little in excitement, “YOU READ MY MIND! “ and like a school girl he skipped along dragging Willow by the hand to the counter. She paid for their coffee, her reasoning that he was the poor one at the moment, and they were off to shop, despite Mikey’s lack of funds!