I Don't Care

1/1

Today started off as another normal Friday.

As I walked down the hall to my locker, I happened to notice how normal everything really was.
Some kids were claiming they saw a "UFO" last night, the popular kids were making sure they looked perfect, but the one thing that stood out that wasn't normal:

The school dance was tonight.

I never go to the dances, nor do I pay attention to them. I'll admit, I'm not popular. But I'm not a loser.

The second the word "loser" registered in my head, I saw (probably) the worst thing I could see.

There's a guy in school named Winston. He moved here a few years ago, he has no friends, and everybody calls him names like "loser" and "idiot". But he's not a nerd; he doesn't pay attention at all during class.

What I mean when I say "worst thing I could see" was Brad, the football captain, and his littlefollowers minions, plus his girlfriend Whitney (head cheerleader) and the rest of the cheerleading squad all surrounding, you guessed it, Winston.

Winston's face was white as a sheet as Brad slammed him against his locker door. Whitney and the rest of the cheerleading squad roared with laughter.

I lowered my head, sped past the large group and walked to my locker.

& & &

5th period I had algebra. Very simple class, if you ask me. Also, it's my only class without ANY of the jocks, cheerleaders, etc. So that's a little relaxing.

Winston is in my algebra class, though.

& & &

As soon as algebra was over, Britney (one of my friends) dragged me by the arm and down to my locker.

"What are you doing?" I asked curiously. She never responded until we got to my locker.

"You've got a note in your locker. From a secret admirer." she squealed. I stared wide-eyed as she opened my locker door and took out a small piece of paper.

"How did you know this was there?" I squinted at her.

"I had a feeling something would be in there."

"Yes, your just magic, little Pocahontas." I said sarcastically. She rolled her eyes.

"Fine. I broke into your locker to get my green yo-yo back," she smirked, finally shouting, "open the letter!!!"

It was my turn to roll my eyes.

I folded open the letter. It read:

"Dear May,

Please go to the school dance with me.

Meet me by the food table.

From: Your secret admirer.

P.S: You are beautiful."

I gasped, folding the paper back up.

Britney's eyes sparkled. This happens alot when she wants something.

"So.. what does it say?" she asked like a 5 year old.

"Like you haven't already read it." I accused her.

"Fine.. I have. But, this is so gross. You'll DIE," she started to whisper, "I saw Winston writing that note in chemistry."

Britney and Winston are in the same chemistry class. Everybody feels 'bad' for Britney because she was stuck as Winston's chemistry partner.

I processed what she had just said in my head.

"Winston?" was all I could say. I was completely stunned. I found it flattering, but I hardly speak to Winston. I don't know why he'd like me.

Then the unbelievable happened.

Kevin, one of the football players (who has a crush on Britney, I might add) jogged up to us.

"Whoa, whats this?" he snatched the letter from my grasp.

His eyes fell onto the paper, reading everything on it.

He smirked and ran off. I stared at Britney in shock.

& & &

Brad, the rest of the football team, and the cheerleaders stopped me in the hall later that day.

"Having trouble with Winston, I heard." Brad smirked, handing me the folded up letter. I was speechless.

"We'll take care o' him for you, darling." Brad's heavy New Jersey accent shows when he's about to make someone pay. Right now, it was the heaviest I've ever heard.

The big mob of people walked right past me and down the hall.

I was, as usual, speechless.

& & &

School was over and I felt terrible. I couldn't focus in English class - at all. I don't want to hurt Winston's feelings, but I never go to the community dances. Why should the school dance be any different?

As I was taking my jacket and school bag out of my locker, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

I turned around, seeing Winston standing there.

"There's a note in your locker, May." he said softly. I looked down at my black Converse high-top sneakers, letting my chestnut brown hair fall over my shoulders. I looked back at Winston who was staring at me intently.

"I know; I read it. Listen, Winston, I really appreciate it bu-" I started to say. He slightly shook his head and walked past me. My eyes followed him.

What can I do?

& & &

I did the nearly impossible. That's what I did.

My egg-shell white dress fit my every curve and as I walked, the end of it flowed out around my legs.

Britney approached me with half a glass of punch in her hand.

"Are you sure you wanna do this?" she asked.

"I have no choice. It'll nearly kill him if I don't do this."

"I can always cover for you if you wanna go back." she offered, sipping from her glass.

"I'll be fine. One night. Plus, I make a guy happy." I gave her a half-hearted smile.

"Alright. Good luck." she smiled, walking back to her date on the dance floor, who just-so-happened to be Kevin.

I walked over by the food table, standing there for about 5 minutes, until I felt a light tap on my shoulder.

"May?" Winston's voice asked from behind me. I turned around.

He was wearing a black tux and a bow tie. He pulled a single white rose from behind his back. I smiled as he handed it to me and I took it.

"May, can I have this dance?" he whispered after the DJ started playing a slower song.

I smiled, "of course."

And that's what we did. Danced. Together.

I didn't come here out of pity. I didn't come here out of peer pressure.

I came because of the kind of person I am.

So what? People stared, some people chuckled, and some people gave me looks like I was crazy.

But I don't care.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is extremely personal to me, so I hope you like it.

Well, yesterday at school, the person who Winston is based off asked me to the community dance, and I feel terrible. I never go to the community dances. And I never went last night..

A few facts:
- The note that Winston gave May in this story is almost exactly what the person wrote on their letter to me.
- Britney isn't just a character, she's based off my friend who told me the note was in my locker.

Please comment. I wrote this as soon as I got home and couldn't wait to finish it. (:

Lots of love,
Taylor.