Sequel: There's A Possibility
Status: Sequel pending.

Something Has Changed Within Me

I Can't See Your Sad Face

Image
The concert went by smoothly. More than smoothly, in fact, I’d say it went pretty darn well.

Garrett’s band is… surprisingly enough, good. Who would have thought such a dope would have been able to produce something as lovely as this.

Garrett never moved from his spot on the stage, no, his feet were solidly planted right in front of me. His eyes rarely left me and though I hated to admit it, mine were mostly glued to him. The only time his eyes would leave me would be to look up at the crowd or down at his hands as they danced over his frets. But he would always return his gaze to me, a small smirk turning the corners of his mouth.

My pictures could have been significantly better, but my focus and perception was off. And my aggravation was infinitely high.

Their set had been over for about ten minutes now and I sat at a table scanning through the shots I had taken. Only a handful were actually good, a few perhaps salvageable with good old Photoshop, but most of the hundred pictures were worthless. Never before had I taken so many bad shots, what is wrong with me?

With a sigh, I set my camera down on the table before taking a sip of my Coke. I couldn’t help but feel as if I was the only person in this entire club who wasn’t downing some sort of alcoholic beverage. Whatever, I was content with my soda.

My eyes scanned the people, looking for Garrett. It wasn’t that I wanted to see him, per say… no, it was just kind of nice to, for once, know someone in this place who wasn’t part of management and therefore hard at work on busy Saturdays.

But neither he nor anyone in his band was to be found. Wonder if that asshole is gonna stand me up… Heh, here I am… acting as if this date is for real. Ha, what a laugh.

While, yes, I had been impressed with his music, I couldn’t get the image of the cocky prick in the coffee shop out of my head. And, frankly, it sort of killed his “sexy man charm” as he had so nicely put it.

I refuse to look pathetic, sitting here waiting for some bloke who I don’t even care to see. With a sigh I stood to leave, gathering my camera and my black jacket in my arms.

An arm quickly slithered around my waist. “I saw you watching me…” a voice whispered in my ear.

Immediately on the defensive, I unwound myself from the offensive arms, rolling my eyes when I saw whose they were. “Wipe that smirk off your face, Garrett.” I muttered as I put my coat on.

Garrett’s laugh was hearty. “I can’t believe I scared you! You really need to loosen up, my little librarian.”

“I am not your little librarian!” I snapped. I really wish he would stop abruptly meeting me. Well, at least this time he didn’t cause anything to spill. “…what do you want?”

Garrett stopped laughing, regaining his posture, he quickly turned serious. “We have a date, remember?”

His clothing was similar to what he had worn in Starbucks. The same leather jacket, similar tight jeans, except now his white t-shirt displayed an emblazoned neon green alien eating the Earth. Quaint.

I sneered. “I believe there was a condition required for aforementioned date.”

The corners of Garrett’s mouth turned skyward as he smirked, looking down. “And I have fulfilled said condition.” He then pulled Paper Towns out from the confines of his leather jacket.

What. The. Hell?! Where did that come from?! Does he have some massive pocket that he can stash huge things like that?! In his coat of all places?!

Garrett threw his head back and laughed at the expression on my face. “I had it tucked under my arm.” He explained before sitting down, his body still reverberating from his chuckles.

I took the book from him, holding it protectively in my hands, glad to have it back. “So, what’d you think?”

He stared down at my hands and instantly I began to feel self-conscious. My hands aren’t exactly the greatest. A bit pudgy with short fingers that never quite lost their baby fat. Quickly, I set the book on the surface of the table before folding my hands and placing them curtly on my lap. “What’d you think?” I asked again.

He snapped back into reality. “It wasn’t as horrible as I thought it was gonna be.”

“So… you didn’t like it…?” I couldn’t help the disappointment.

“I didn’t say that…”

I perked up. “So you liked it?”

“I also didn’t say that.”

“Well, then, what did you think?”

“Well, if you’d shut your trap for five seconds I’d tell you.” I did as he told me and he laughed.

“I really liked the idea of loving someone, but not holding them in a higher regard then you do yourself.”

I breathed a sigh of relief. Garrett got it, he really got it. I’ve no idea why, but this excited me. Most people I know wouldn’t be able to understand.

“Hey Garrett,” I heard someone say from behind me. “Who’s your friend?”

The very tall singer of The Maine stepped forward so that I could see him. He had a pleasant face, large nose, big hazel eyes. Despite being skinny, his tall frame was somehow intimidating. His gaze was scrutinizing, I felt as if I were under a microscope as he stared me down, analyzing every inch of my being with his cold glare. I felt as if a bucket of water had been dumped over me. Goose pimples pricked up on the flesh of my arms.

“This is Lindsey.” Garrett said, gesturing to me, oblivious of my rather obvious uncomforted posture. “Lindsey, this is John O’Callaghan.”

John smile was warm, but it didn’t reach his eyes. Inwardly, I shivered. “It’s nice to meet you.” He said, sitting down beside Garrett. “So, I saw you taking pictures, I wish photographers were always as pretty as you.” I could tell that he was trying to be charming, but it just wasn’t working. If anything, it made him more intimidating.

“John… do you mind…?” Garrett asked quietly. I looked in his direction. His confidence had seemed to dissipate with John’s presence. He sat slumped in his chair, staring down at his clenched fists.

“Oh, was I interrupting something? Excuse me.” John stood. “I’ll leave you two alone then.” He reached over and grabbed my shoulder, a bit too roughly for my taste. “Take care of my friend, Lindsey.” He shot Garrett an icy glare before walking away.

Garrett was silent.

“Are you okay?” I asked. The life seemed to be sucked from him. I reached over and ran my fingers across the knuckles of his fist soothingly. I have no idea what in the world indulged me to do that, but it felt nice, nonetheless.

“Fine.” He grumbled, looking up at me, his features softened. He grabbed my hand and formed it with his own. “Sorry. I’m fine, John’s just… weird.”

“Yeah, I’ll say…” I nodded.

“Do you want to go somewhere else?” he asked, looking anxious to be as far away from the singer as possibly.

“With you?” I’ve no idea why I asked that. He was the one inviting me.

But regardless of the tediousness of the question, Garrett managed a small laugh. “Yeah. With scary ol’ me.”

Compared to the man who just graced us with his presence, Garrett is a freaking teddy bear. “You’re definitely not scary.” I said, getting up. “But, yes, let’s get out of here.”

He led me toward the door, never letting go of my hand.

The warmth I felt with my hand tangled tightly in his was beyond welcome.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, we're finally rolling along, haha.
Thank you guys so much for the comments and subscriptions, things have been really hard for me lately and you have no idea how much it means to me.
I love you all <3
5 comments. Please?