Something I Can't Fake

We'll Be a Dream.

As of 1:00am, Tina couldn't sleep. So many things ran though her head...things that she didn't want being there. She sat up in bed with her black comforter draped over her lap. Her torso leaned forward and her arms crossed over her knees forming an X. During the past week, Tina became to hate the way Artie would scowl at her, or the way he'd roll his eyes when she'd fake her stutter during class.

''I can't take this anymore,'' Tina whispered to herself, shaking her head. The mass of blue and black locks continued to sway even after she became still. She wasn't sure if things would ever be the same between her and Artie, but she had to at least attempt to knit back together what they had.

The headlights of a car passing by sneaked though the window and brought attention to her eastern wall. There hung a few pictures of her family and friends along with a poster of her favorite punk rock band. One particular picture caught her eye. Tina swung her legs over the side of the bed, tugged the beaded wire on her table lamp, and walked over to the wall. The picture was of her mother, when she was younger, riding an old looking bicycle.

''I've got it…I know how to make this right.'' she said taking the picture frame off the wall.

Once she was out of the house, Tina lifted the manual garage door. A could of dust went towards her face. She coughed twice and waved the dust away from her face. Her family used the small garage for year round storage. Tina entered the cluttered room and looked down of the picture. Her mother’s bike should be here, she was one of those packrats that people feared. Leaned up against a wall sat what Tina was looking for. She stepped over her family's fake Christmas tree to get to her mother's bike. Once Tina led it out of the garage, she inspected it. The once banana yellow bike was now more rust colored then anything.

‘It’ll have to do.’’ She thought.

In her black fleece pajama pants and white tank top, Tina mounted the old bike. She didn't even bother to put shoes on. Tina had only been to the Abram's household a couple times, but she knew where it was by heart. Mile by mile, she drove her mother's bike down the side walks of her hometown. By the time she reached 31 Elm Street, Tina began to wish she'd brought a coat. It was dumb of her to run outside with barley anything on, every inch of her body was covered with goose bumps.

“Suck it up, Tina.” She thought. There was no turning back now. She'd hate to return home with nothing accomplished.

Tina looked up at the Abram's household. It was a small two-story home with both red bricks and cream-colored siding. Artie's bedroom was above the garage. She knew for a fact that his parents couldn’t afford another house for Artie, so they renovated the house they had to suit him. A picture window marked the spot. Tina lay the bike down gently in the grass above the sidewalk. Soon a petite stone found it's way into Tina's palm. Her plan was to toss it in the direction of the picture window. It did not even cross her mind that she could get in major trouble for sneaking out and tossing stones at people's windows.

When Artie heard something bounce off his window, he thought it was the wind having a fit, but when he heard the noise again, he became to get suspicious. Artie sat up in bed and pulled the covers over his still legs. With his chair only a foot away from his bed, he reached for it.

When Tina saw a light turn on from Artie's room, she became to get hopeful. She walked backwards in the lawn until she reached the sidewalk.

Still half asleep, Artie wheeled himself to the window. He pulled open the shades to see a small blurry person waving at him. It wasn't until he put on his thick-rimmed glasses that he could see who was before him, Tina Cohen-Chang.

The two stared up and down at each other. Even if Tina knew what she wanted to say…she wouldn’t be able to. Just as she thought he was going to open the window to talk to her, he closed the blinds with a straight look on his face.

Tina was even more speechless then before, she thought he’d be over himself by now. She stood on the sidewalk for a few more minutes just in case he decided to change his mind. A slight breeze occurred and weaved itself though her hair. Finally, Tina decided to give up and just go home. She began to walk down the way she came. There was so rush to get home, so she left her bike in the grass.

“Tina?”

She turned around with her arms crossed over her chest, trying to stay warm. Artie rolled himself down the cement wheelchair ramp, and they met in the middle. He himself was not dressed for the cold either being in a pain white T-shirt and plaid boxers.

“I…I have something to say.” Tina started.

”You can stop that nonsense. I see right through you.” He said turning himself back towards his house. She stuttered out of habit.

“Artie stop. Wait, no.” She said taking a step forward and touching his shoulder. Her touch wasn’t forceful, but encouraging. When he started to turn around, Tina returned where she was before. She swallowed hard before starting again.

“I have something to say.”

“Go on.” He said crossing his arms.

“I’m sorry.” She said shaking her head, closing her eyes.
“I just couldn’t lie to you anymore…I should have told you sooner. Hurting you in anyway was never part of the plan.”

“Well you did.” He said with a straight face.

“Artie…” She started.

“It was the one thing we had in common, Tina.” Artie said.

“Was that the only thing you saw in me, my stutter?” Tina started.
“Because when I look at you, I don’t see the chair…I see the boy who’s in the chair.” She said going down on her knees and placing her hands on his.

Artie couldn’t prevent himself from smiling if he tried. Though he couldn’t feel the warmth of her hands on his knees, he could feel the warmth of her words in his heart. He thought about what to say. Half of him told him to just roll back into the house…but the other half told him to plain out kiss her.

“We had more then that, Artie.” She said.

“I really don’t know what to say.” Artie said.

”Fine…I’ll make it easy for you. Do you forgive me?” She asked.

“I don’t know if I can.” He said looking out the side of his glasses.

“Can we try being friends again?” She asked.

“I suppose.” He said.

“I’m going to hug you now.” She said, not waiting for a response from Artie.

From her knees, Tina spread his limp legs apart in a gentle manor. She placed her torso between them and proceeded to wrap her goose bump covered arms around his still body. Her head landed between his chest and stomach. At first Artie hesitated about doing the same, but his heart took over, and he found himself holding Tina in his arms.