Status: Discontinued

Have Kids, Then We'll Talk

Kiss Me, I'm Aiden!

The bus ride to school was always terribly fun, purely because it gave me a chance to “people watch” if you will. Spending those glorious thirty minutes a day focused on the odd quirks of the people who inhabited the bus with me was most enjoyable. From the screaming children that drove their mothers to suicide, to the shady looking character in the far corner watching everyone with cautious interest, gave me some kind of purpose in life- like studying these sorry excuses for humans like the rats they were made me somewhat like a scientist…or God.

“Oh fuck!” Charlie cursed in the seat next to me. I moved my hazel eyes that mimicked my father’s to the beautiful woman next to me; who was currently shifting through her black school-issued suitcase for something.

“What are you looking for, love.” I leaned into her, so our bodies would briefly touch- some casual early morning teasing was as needed as our cup of Starbucks coffee.

“My cigarettes! I swear I fucking put them in here!”

I rolled my eyes and dug into my pockets, revealing a fresh pack of her favorite brand of cancer. She gasped and squealed when her hands clutched the small box of death, holding it close to her chest like a mock irony.

“Oh, Aiden Way, what would I ever do without you,” she joked and shoved the cigarettes in her bag. “So, what does your schedule look like?”

I shrugged and leaned against the rather stiff bus seat, “Shitty as per usual. When do you have English?”

Charlie shifted through her suit-case once again, biting her bottom lip rather cutely before pulling out the blue paper the school used to write our schedules. “Fifth period! You?”

“Same,” I smirked, “and Danny-boy has it fifth aswell. Looks like the trio is re-united.”

“Very good,” her eyes twinkled as she stuffed the paper back in her bag, moving her gaze out the window, “Speaking of Dan, there he is.”

I followed her eyes to the form of Daniel Iero guzzling down yet another full throttle as if he would die without the murky substance. Sometimes Charlie and I wondered if he would! Possibly the reason why I smuggled him some every day despite the risk involved; his father, though small, would certainly see to it that I was dead and never found or missed. It was that Italian blood that made him a natural born killer.

“He is going to be so hyper,” Charlie sighed as the bus came to a squeaky halt.

“When is he not?” We laughed and made our way off the rickety metal contraption that has certainly seen better days. We stepped out into the bright sunlight; the global warming induced warmth quickly attacking our overly clothed bodies in quite a fury. The concrete sidewalk echoed mine and Charlie’s appearance, dragging Dan away from his Full Throttle. The green trees whispered against the soft wind that offered no comfort to our bodies, yet played a very familiar tune. Since high school began, the three of us have made this walk to our stuffy elitist school; it was a tradition. A much needed one.

“Dudes!” Dan squealed and tackled us with hugs, “what’s up! How are you guys! Man it is fucking hot, right? Shit…what happened to my full throttle?” The green-eyed boy pouted when he saw his lover was empty.

“You have more at home, right?” Charlie asked, placing her sunglasses on her face to block the sun’s angry rays.

“No…I drank them all,” Dan replied as he tossed the empty bottle in the trash can.

“You drank the entire fucking case I gave you!” I stood there, mouth agape, at what my friend was actually telling me. Sure, I knew Dan was addicted to full throttle like I was addicted to sex and Charlie to partying; but an entire fucking case in less than a night? Was that even humanly possible!

“Yeah,” Dan pouted again, “It was good!”

“I have to stop bringing you that shit, I’m gonna kill you!”

“No!” He shrieked grabbing onto my shoulders, “I.Need.Full.Throttle!” He started that series of twitching that annoyed the fuck out of me, so, like the god damn sucker I was, I pushed forth a smile.

“I promise to get you some after school,” I said, “promise!”

Dan’s green eyes instantly brightened, and I couldn’t help but feel in some way I was signing the boy’s death certificate every time I offered to buy his disease. He instantly, in response, threw his arms around my neck and pulled me into a bone crushing hug that was classic Dan. I choked at the impact, and returned the hug weakly. A little dead butterfly swirled in my stomach in a moment, before once again succumbing to the putrid stench of liquor and drugs that no doubt lingered in my body.

“If you two are done being gay,” Charlie announced, “I’d like to get to class now?”

Dan immediately jumped back a good ten feet, “I am not gay!”

“Sure you aren’t, loopy,” I rolled my eyes, “Come on, lets go before Princess Charlie has a heart attack!”

The look on her perfectly constructed face was priceless, and I could see the though of punching me in my balls flash in her head- lucky for me, she didn’t make her little dream a reality. In stead, we started down the path in the direction of our school. Our school issued shoes echoed against the hard concrete; the silence in this city was rare, but welcomed. Sometimes, I figured, the little bit of green trees had the ability to block out the smog and sound that was almost associated with New York. The honking horns, the curses in twenty different languages, the sounds of airplanes flying overhead and buses that seemed to be one their last ride. The tall trees and flowers always blocked out the seeping grayness from polluting the pleasant plant life. It was part of the reason why I forced my two friends to continue this tradition no matter how cold or how hot it ever got- because it was the only time I ever felt totally at ease with myself…

Letting out a sigh to signal my approval of the day, I snaked my arm around Charlie’s small waist and pulled the girl closer to me. I had a small bone to pick with her, my Charlie Cakes. The only girl who I haven’t fucked, despite the urge that still raged war in my body. She was my friend since we were practically still in diapers. Part of the Used Chemicals group- the affectionate name we invented when we were ten. Despite the strong bond, it seemed certain influences were tearing her away from me…those influences who adored tacky extensions and pink eye shadow.

“So, how was your summer,” I inquired innocently, throwing a knowing glance at Dan- who seemed confused at first, then got distracted by a leaf passing by his face.

“Very good,” she giggled- the slight confusion evident in her eyes as if I should know exactly how her summer went. I should have, and that was the sad part. It was no surprise that once Charlie became a teenager her interests would stray away from mine and Dan’s. She wanted to hang out with the girls more often, go to parties and shop and flirt with boys. Now, me being bisexual and Dan being so far in the closet he found Narnia, meant we wouldn’t mind helping Charlie scope for potential mates. But I guess, looking for boys to share your bed with is more fun with two giggling girls, than two giggling guys. Nevertheless, though I knew this, I didn’t like the fact she subconsciously or consciously pulled away from the group.

“We haven’t really hung out all summer,” I said, “You have been hanging out with Cassie and Madie.” I laced those two names with venom on each letter. I hardly bothered to acknowledge Madie Way was my blood related cousin; didn’t change the fact I detested her almost as much as I detested my mother and any other woman who saw it fit to wear six pounds of black eyeliner and twenty pounds of pink hair extensions.

“That’s not true!” she giggled, “I hung out with you two a lot!” She looked at Dan for support; but all he could offer was a pitiful look at his finger nails. “Come on guys! It isn’t entirely my fault! What about you Aiden Way?”

“What about me?” I scoffed.

Charlie immediately stopped walking, swinging around to meet my bored stare. I could see the slight fire that raged in her own orbs as she looked at me; as if I had brought this up for the pure intention on hurting her. Never. But Charlie would think otherwise, in my opinion

“And how many key parties did you attend this summer,” she spat, “every time I called, you were at one of those disease pools, taking it up the ass!”

“She has a point,” Dan sighed, placing his hands on the shorter girl’s shoulders.

“Whose side are you on!” I shrieked, “Oh, and what about you Dan! Joining a fucking band over the summer!”

“Hey! I am allowed to have outside interests! And I invited you to come play for us! But you said no- kept saying that unless you were leading the band, you didn’t want to be in it! You didn’t even come to our shows; so don’t start that shit.”

Maybe this was the part of me that was my father- the romantic, the dreamer. Foolish enough to think that my words of disapproval would draw my two only friend’s back to my side. Or maybe it was the narcissus in me who would dread to think I was as important to them as water or air or a bottle of Barcardi 151. Ah, but that wasn’t the case now was it? Evidently. My little plan pulled a 180, and suddenly they were both staring at me with their narrowed blue and green orbs in accusation; as if my sex and party life was as less important as Charlie’s girl’s night and Dan’s band. It was two against one, and I was cornered, waiting for them to pounce on me like many times before…

“Whatever,” I snapped, and continued down the walkway. I could see the little Inscope Arch in the distance; its darkness pulling me in, and away from my friends, like a high I couldn’t control. Wasn’t that how it always was with me; so much more used to the thick blackness of a tunnel with no light, as oppose to the warm arms of someone familiar?

“Wait Aiden.” Charlie and Dan ran over to me, jumping in my way so I could no longer walk. Their previous eyes of anger were replaced with concern and knowing. “Maybe, you are right,” Charlie began, “maybe we all just…neglected each other this summer.”

Dan nodded, “Yeah, maybe we should try hanging out more…like the old times!”

“Yeah! Exactly like the old times, what do you say, Aiden?”

I wanted to mimic their hopeful looks, but I was doubtful. This could be the side that belong to my mother- the bitter realist. The cynical friend, who knew despite the effort we would put in the first two weeks, would simply fall back into the clutches of summer loves.

“Yeah, sounds cool,” I said and forced a smile. “Do you guys have any plans tonight?”

I could almost see the “yes” fall out of their lips, but the quickly closed their mouths and shook their heads tentatively. I decided I would take my opportunity to offer them to choose me over their other priorities this time. The Narcissus in me. “How about we all meet up at Dan’s house tonight? We’ll have dinner, get some booze, and watch Dan attempt to play Guitar Hero.”

“Hey asshole! You know I’d wipe the floor with you!” Dan shouted.

Charlie snorted despite her nature, “Oh God, I would totally come to see that!”

“Then it’s settled?”

The both nodded their heads enthusiastically; and once again I felt like I was slightly in control. Smirking, I linked my arms with theirs and continued down the path to school. “See, I knew you guys loved me!”

“Yeah yeah,” Charlie laughed as she rested her head on my shoulder. I looked over at Dan for his response.

“Screw you, I’m agreeing just so I can kick your ass at Guitar Hero!”

Even though I could feel the tides were shifting, I knew deep down my friends would never truly abandon me. Well, I could hope at least, because- and this may come as a shock to many- they were really all I had….