To Love Somehow

The Abandonment

A middle-aged couple quietly snuck in between the hole of the fences. It was a dark night and the moon was hiding. They hurried, careful not to get caught by the night guards. The woman knew her way around the ground, having to have spent time there when she was younger, and she knew where the blind spots were. They reached the large barn and climbed the fragile stairs to the attic. There was an old single bed, dusty and abandoned a long time ago. The couple put down the large basket. Inside was their only baby daughter who was sleeping so peacefully. A noise shook them and the mother kissed her daughter one last time, no knowing when she would see her again. The couple left.

The sun was still rising and the sky shined brightly, as though last night darkness was nothing. It was early in the morning for there was little light in the attic of the barn. The baby was still sleeping. The Queen was expecting someone. She made her way to the barn and mounted the stairs where a little infant would be waiting to be welcomed. She picked up the baby and cradled her. She saw a small white envelope in the basket.

Dear Tara,
I wish it didn’t have to be like this, but I was afraid of this.
Thank you for taking my daughter into your home.
When all is settled and the war is over,
I hope to see my daughter again one day.

Thank you,
Sincerely, HG


The Queen smiled, “I owe you one.” She looked at the fragile baby who had wakened up. She was fussing. She was the spitting image of her mother. She would grow up to be a beautiful girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this five years ago, with a little re-editing it's as good as new.
subscribe? comment?
It's a cute little story, if you're into light reading (: